iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #10,517 of 13,503
Quote:
So I keep eyeing this up. Very tempted. I am however concerned that my Klipsch Image x10's aren't really good enough to do one of these justice (no real concerns over the Mr Speakers Mad Dogs though). Would I need to upgrade my in ears to really benefit from one of these?

I will echo the other comments about not needing high-end headphones to enjoy the DX100.  I have to admit that I've mostly been using modded Portapros (fits my needs in the office) and they sound better than they have any business sounding at that price point.  I would guess that every DX100 owner uses better headphones than I do, but I guess the point is that it doesn't take much to see why the DX100 is special.  Well, at least to me.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #10,519 of 13,503
Quote:
I will echo the other comments about not needing high-end headphones to enjoy the DX100.  I have to admit that I've mostly been using modded Portapros (fits my needs in the office) and they sound better than they have any business sounding at that price point.  I would guess that every DX100 owner uses better headphones than I do, but I guess the point is that it doesn't take much to see why the DX100 is special.  Well, at least to me.

I think the PortaPros are one of the best phones on the market when you compare price to performance. They are great. I know of one manufacture of an excellent amp that used them for all his work.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #10,520 of 13,503
So I keep eyeing this up. Very tempted. I am however concerned that my Klipsch Image x10's aren't really good enough to do one of these justice (no real concerns over the Mr Speakers Mad Dogs though). Would I need to upgrade my in ears to really benefit from one of these?

I have a set of Klipsch Image X10's and they sound really fine with the DX100! In fact, they are one of my favorite IEM's when paired with my DX100.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #10,521 of 13,503
Quote:
I have a set of Klipsch Image X10's and they sound really fine with the DX100! In fact, they are one of my favorite IEM's when paired with my DX100.

GAAAhhhhh. Another thing to try. Off to Amazon. . they never think of Alaska as part of the US so I have to pay extra on shipping, even though you can ship by mail at the same flat rate!

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #10,522 of 13,503
Quote:
GAAAhhhhh. Another thing to try. Off to Amazon. . they never think of Alaska as part of the US so I have to pay extra on shipping, even though you can ship by mail at the same flat rate!

But the postperson doesn't get a bonus ... maybe an extra layer for his/her trouble ... I doubt it

:)

That's the trouble with Amazon ... no thought for the delivery, just profit ... same here in the UK.
I'm well off the beaten track here in North Yorkshire and feel lucky if any expected delivery from them turns up a week late ... and if I ever would need to send anything back .... well it's really not worth the effort.

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #10,523 of 13,503
So ... you guys with the top 'phones ... which FW do you hear is best? 1.2.7 or 1.3.7 ...
I'm still trying to make up my ears ... 1.2.7 sounds better with live recordings but 1.3.7 is better for hirez studio stuff ... for me at any rate.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #10,524 of 13,503
Quote:
So ... you guys with the top 'phones ... which FW do you hear is best? 1.2.7 or 1.3.7 ...
I'm still trying to make up my ears ... 1.2.7 sounds better with live recordings but 1.3.7 is better for hirez studio stuff ... for me at any rate.

Live 16-44 and studio 24-88 and 24-96? 

Interesting.  I never thought to distinguish them that way.  Maybe I'll do that if I give 1.3.7 a try.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #10,525 of 13,503
Quote:
Let us know when you do... Personally, I can't say I feel much if any difference 1.2.7 and wonder if there is some placebo effect. For me, I'm so happy to have the stop play fixed and the playlist order at least in album track order (last added album or track appears first still...doh), that maybe I'm just feeling this is the best FW so far. If those things never bothered you then maybe you see little value in the changes and just have an affiliation to the first one you felt right. I liked 1.2.7 but that's what came on my DX so never had to wrangle with earlier versions.

In any case I am going to use the installer tool now I am happy with the FW to load 1.3.7 so I am truly starting with a fresh unit.

Just thinking though, I wonder if the production run and hours played are having an impact on people's perceptions. Anyone A/B'd different runs and FWs?

I've done extensive comparing of 1.2.7 and 1.2.3 and there is a clear difference between them. Heck I much preferred 1.1.3 or was it 1.1.7 to 1.2.3. Pretty much the previous firmware sounded much better than 1.2.3 and then 1.2.7 came out and fixed the sound issues while also improving the sound IMO. So I can hear a clear difference in sound between 1.1.7, 1.2.3 and 1.2.7. It's not subtle to me either. It's a slap in the face for me.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #10,526 of 13,503
Quote:
I've done extensive comparing of 1.2.7 and 1.2.3 and there is a clear difference between them. Heck I much preferred 1.1.3 or was it 1.1.7 to 1.2.3. Pretty much the previous firmware sounded much better than 1.2.3 and then 1.2.7 came out and fixed the sound issues while also improving the sound IMO. So I can hear a clear difference in sound between 1.1.7, 1.2.3 and 1.2.7. It's not subtle to me either. It's a slap in the face for me.

Lee, you sold your DX100 a while ago so you don't know nuts !

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #10,527 of 13,503
Quote:
Lee, you sold your DX100 a while ago so you don't know nuts !

lol I know more than you'll ever know :wink:....

I had experience with all those firmwares and I've tested them extensively. I could hear a clear difference between all 3. I haven't heard the latest 2 though.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #10,529 of 13,503
Quote:
lol I know more than you'll ever know :wink:....

I had experience with all those firmwares and I've tested them extensively. I could hear a clear difference between all 3. I haven't heard the latest 2 though.

lol! You don't know any more than I have known in the past :frowning2: and what's more .... watch this space!)

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #10,530 of 13,503
Quote:
Grateful Dead - Franklin's Tower - Live at Nashville Municipal Auditorium 1978-12-16 > DX100 (1.2.7) > HE-500 > EQ off / High Gain / Volume 234

Seventh Heaven!

Download from archive.org ... you'll have to look for it ... can't remember exactly which version I got. Look for the "matrix" flac downloads ...

Other artists are available - I listen to a lot of Beethoven and Mozart too ... my music tastes change like the wind. Probably later I will be listening to New Order.

:)

Here it is ... grab it quick ... it will be gone tomorrow ...

Edit: too late, I removed it 'cos I don't want to get into trouble with the copyright wallahs ... but you can find it here

http://archive.org/details/GratefulDead

Users who are viewing this thread

Back