iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Sep 6, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #7,711 of 13,503
Quote:
Maybe I am the last to revert back to 1.17 but I am so glad that I have now.  The difference is not small.  The enjoyment has come back....I had gotten away from the DX100 because of this.  I  no longer evaluate things definitively but whether it sounds good..and this sounds good again.

thanks for all the discussions concerning this issue.

No worries slwiser. I feel the exact same way. But I may just be overly critical in general. If it don't meet my expectations I'm gonna bitch about it. Especially at this price range :wink:. I did try to get use to 1.2.3 but just couldn't. From the very first time I listened to it it just sounded off. Glad to hear I'm not alone on this thinking. I still do look forward to possible fixes in the future. But i won't hold my breathe and will just live with this firmware as long as I can keep this sound :p.

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #7,712 of 13,503
I think I want to do some comparisons now
tongue.gif
... Will revert back to 1.1.7 and listen carefully
atsmile.gif

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #7,713 of 13,503
I say listen to some songs that have really good bass. Bass-lines you know by heart. That was the easiest thing for me to pick out. More so the most irritating to be honest. But treble and mids appear to be more upfront and aggressive as well.

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #7,714 of 13,503
Quote:
I think I want to do some comparisons now
tongue.gif
... Will revert back to 1.1.7 and listen carefully
atsmile.gif

I'm doing the same thing right now. Just picked up a new detail in one of my favorite songs while listening to 1.1.7 and now I'll give a spin on 1.2.3

Edit: Now that I've heard it, it is at least as clear - if not clearer - on 1.2.3 with the EQ off. Feel free to give it a go, I'm talking about the female vocals on Rammstein's Feuer Und Wasser.

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #7,715 of 13,503
Quote:
I say listen to some songs that have really good bass. Bass-lines you know by heart. That was the easiest thing for me to pick out. More so the most irritating to be honest. But treble and mids appear to be more upfront and aggressive as well.

You guys were right. Bass is much better on 1.1.7. I didn't notice the bloat on 1.2.3 but A/B'ing the same bass heavy track (Trentemøller - Chameleon) between 1.1.7 and 1.2.3 leaves no doubt at all. 

Dear Team 117:
You were right, I was wrong. 
 ​
Can I join?

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #7,716 of 13,503
iBasso stated to me that they are still not certain how the firmware updates change the SQ, but feel that it might be in some way tied to the CPU. They will try to duplicate the 1.1.7 signature in the next firmware update. I got the impression that they are also not happy with the changes and are making every effort to get to the root of the problem.

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #7,718 of 13,503
Quote:
iBasso stated to me that they are still not certain how the firmware updates change the SQ, but feel that it might be in some way tied to the CPU. They will try to duplicate the 1.1.7 signature in the next firmware update. I got the impression that they are also not happy with the changes and are making every effort to get to the root of the problem.

what might be happening is that the bass is not changing

the other frequencies are (ie the mids and the treble get a bump in dB). This tricks the mind into thinking that the bass decreased when in fact the mids and highs increased. Hard to say without a freq response of before and after.

What might be the culprit

the CPU? No. The CPU does what is coded to do. Nothing more.

It will be more than likely tied with the ESS DSP. If the clock cycle change (say they lowered the CPU Hz for power savings) then they need to adjust the ESS DSP accordingly (tied to IN_CLK pin). That is a guess.

Sep 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #7,719 of 13,503
Does anyone know if the new HDP R10 is compatible with all the firmwares? 

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #7,720 of 13,503
Quote:

Have you heard the difference? Using a very bass heavy track for comparison, the bass on 1.2.3 is loose and bloated, like a badly done bass boost. On 1.1.7, using the same track, the bass is tight, controlled, punchy and detailed. Other stuff changes as well, but the bass is by far the most obvious change.

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #7,721 of 13,503
Quote:

Strange.... Well seems like more are coming around once they do a comparison. I really hope they fix the long pause inbetween tracks with the new update. They probably should really consider disabling support for Power Amp or other Music players for that matter. I think this is where the problem lies. Seems like Androids internal EQ/limitation is interfering....

@ Sorensiim I never tried it out with those bass songs you sent me. So they showed you the flaws? I was however listening to other bass heavy music and very much noticed it. Just was overpowering and distorted. Was thinking my IEMs were broken at first....
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #7,722 of 13,503
Quote:

the other frequencies are (ie the mids and the treble get a bump in dB). This tricks the mind into thinking that the bass decreased when in fact the mids and highs increased. Hard to say without a freq response of before and after.

What might be the culprit

the CPU? No. The CPU does what is coded to do. Nothing more.

It will be more than likely tied with the ESS DSP. If the clock cycle change (say they lowered the CPU Hz for power savings) then they need to adjust the ESS DSP accordingly (tied to IN_CLK pin). That is a guess.

figgie I feel it all increased. Bass increased in quantity and its quality went down. Treble and mids are more aggressive and upfront. Not smooth like on 1.1.7. For me its a huge difference. The closest you can get to comparing these firmwares is having 1.1.7 EQ off and 1.2.3 EQ on and doing a side by side. Even then I still noticed the flaws in the bass. Although not nearly as bad or noticeable with EQ off but enough so where I couldn't live with it. I always trust my ears. If it don't sound right then I'm not happy.

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #7,723 of 13,503
Quote:
figgie I feel it all increased. Bass increased in quantity and its quality went down. Treble and mids are more aggressive and upfront. Not smooth like on 1.1.7. For me its a huge difference. The closest you can get to comparing these firmwares is having 1.1.7 EQ off and 1.2.3 EQ on and doing a side by side. Even then I still noticed the flaws in the bass. Although not nearly as bad or noticeable with EQ off but enough so where I couldn't live with it. I always trust my ears. If it don't sound right then I'm not happy.

I usually don't like those words "I feel", "I think" etc. because it is very easy to trick the mind (why slight of hand works so well).

with that said,

Sounds like the input signal to the DSP might be getting clipped. It is a guess and nothing else without objective data. That would explain the overall "sloppy" sound.

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #7,724 of 13,503
Quote:
I usually don't like those words "I feel", "I think" etc. because it is very easy to trick the mind (why slight of hand works so well).

with that said,

Sounds like the input signal to the DSP might be getting clipped. It is a guess and nothing else without objective data. That would explain the overall "sloppy" sound.

figgie do you even own a unit for yourself? Kinda hard to even make a statement like that without hearing it for yourself. If you think otherwise I'd say not even worth being in this hobby if you don't trust your ears at all. I know placebo can be a real thing and I can see it happening in certain instances. But this is not placebo. Sorry.

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #7,725 of 13,503
Quote:
figgie do you even own a unit for yourself? Kinda hard to even make a statement like that without hearing it for yourself. If you think otherwise I'd say not even worth being in this hobby if you don't trust your ears at all. I know placebo can be a real thing and I can see it happening in certain instances. But this is not placebo. Sorry.

I am not in this hobby. I am in the technology hobby, this happens to be PART of that hobby. Tell you the truth, just by seeing the choice of OS. I could tell where this was going regardless of hardware. Hell DX100 is obsolete already by the HDP_R10 yet they are still using an obsolete (read google unsupported operating system) in that. Either there coding is horendous (yep) and there developers are not up to snuff (double yep). QA testing is lazy (assuming iBasso is actually testing these as they get them from RockChip) at best.

I don't think. Again, Garbage in, Gabarge out.  The connection between sound changing from a "firmware" upgrade is amazing ( and at the same time, not surpising. not the good kind of amazement, the kind where explitives would convey what I really think of companies that code crap, but I can probably take a guess as to what they are using for revision and source control vault which is the same as winning the lottery) and makes me wonder the QA (if any) that they actually put into products like this. For the price point, the coding erros that are popping up are absolutely absurd regardless of sound. But guess what, I am critical that way since I am/was in the industry. I have been on that chair testing products like this to make sure that silly issues like this don't make it a bad product ESPECIALLY at the price point.

You can thank Insignia, Rocketfish and Dynex for that (which is part of Best Buy Exclusive Brands which is where I worked with the Chinese manufactures and developers to get product out the door without it being a train wreck, so yes, first hand experience in dealing with "developers" where there is absolutely ZERO source code control or revision. And I am talking HUGE shops like Broadcom, Foxconn, AUO, Shoshico, etc. Yes THAT foxconn, Apple has a massive QA team to fix the f'up from a hardware side and call foxconn on it).

I like audio. but my tolerance for useability issues is none existant. I detest useability issues especially knowing the coding side. Downright suprises me that people let companies get away with but that is the tolerance people will accept. In this case, as long as it "sounds" good, in the TV world, as long as it "looks" good, car world, as long as it "drives" good. etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back