iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jul 13, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #6,931 of 13,503
Quote:
Yeah it's a feature of the Sabre DAC and if anything a very beneficial one which allows you to tune the volume control to the amp and heaphones/IEMS for optimal sound.

Quote:

Lee nailed it. All control takes place in the digital domain before the signal is passed on to the amp, thus giving you the purest possible sound no matter your volume or EQ configuration. No more channel imbalance at low levels, no more noisy pots. A very nice thing for us IEM users! 
smile.gif

Thanks guys for a very simple explanation =D

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #6,932 of 13,503
Quote:
If that is the case,

i doubt they went directly to the ESS. They probably have a call out.. looking for that file :wink: I think I found it.. called hifisound. Need to analyse it more.

edit:

forget it. The RK2918 can stream out via SPDF and the ES9018 can accept that stream natively.

on a couple of notes.

ibasso/rockchip did the following

the update.img file is formatted using the the rockchip sdk. the underlying img files (recovery.img, system.img etc) are ext2.

there app at least starts in 2.3.1 but does nothing.  Crashes upon trying to open in 2.3.3, 4.0.1 & 4.1.

Well... "directly" might have been the wrong word - they bypass the Android sound subsystem. And it really really works... Don't care how 
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #6,933 of 13,503
Quote:
Figgie, that's some mighty awesome information you're digging up. :D

A few things I wish iBasso change on the next firmware update:
1. No fade in at the start of a track. Means I can't play albums in true gapless mode.
2. An option to have an advanced equaliser with more sliders.
3. No random chipmunks moments.
4. Quicker start up.
5. Better battery life.
6. No pop when the player is turned on from standby and pause mode (after a short while).

(some are ambitious :D)

Does anyone know exactly what slow roll off and sharp roll off do? I always thought slow roll off was a mild treble roll off and sharp roll off was a greater treble roll off. But I can't hear the difference between the two so I keep it on slow roll off.

Yeah it isn't gapless playback so that is still a broken feature and that isn't an ambitious fix IMO.

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #6,936 of 13,503
Quote:

When I skip to a different track it is cutting off part of the beginning of each song which is very irritating.

Ah, yes; that was implemented to avoid the amp pop that was present in the first iteration of the firmware by request of users.

Hardware limitation AFAIUI.

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #6,937 of 13,503
Figgie, that's some mighty awesome information you're digging up. :D

A few things I wish iBasso change on the next firmware update:
1. No fade in at the start of a track. Means I can't play albums in true gapless mode.
2. An option to have an advanced equaliser with more sliders.
3. No random chipmunks moments.
4. Quicker start up.
5. Better battery life.
6. No pop when the player is turned on from standby and pause mode (after a short while).

(some are ambitious :D)

Does anyone know exactly what slow roll off and sharp roll off do? I always thought slow roll off was a mild treble roll off and sharp roll off was a greater treble roll off. But I can't hear the difference between the two so I keep it on slow roll off.

Fast rolloff slightly reduces the highs
Slow rolloff can be called the "normal" mode without rolloff.
Just the opposite of what one might think based on the names. These settings are described in the online User Manual.

If you haven't already tried adjusting the parameters in the "Gapless" menu setting, you might give it a try. My fade-in is very quick and unobtrusive on most all tracks.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #6,938 of 13,503
Quote:
Well... "directly" might have been the wrong word - they bypass the Android sound subsystem. And it really really works... Don't care how 
ksc75smile.gif

Well

also reading the ESS ES9018 docu...it seems to have DSP capabilities also. Not sure how strong as trying to find more info (and a SDK if available).

Thank goodness for good sound for you guys because these "bugs" are absolutely nonesense.

***edit: Of course SDK is available. Got it...intresting I wonder if this allows direct manipulation of the DX100 ES9018 chip as it is meant for direct manipulation of the DAC boards***

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #6,939 of 13,503
Just got this back from Ibasso

[size=medium]Hi,[/size]
[size=medium]Thank you for your emails.[/size]
[size=medium]"Can you advise if anything is planned to be done with regard to the square box the track Numbers sit in ?.......As it’s ok for up to 999 tracks but when you exceed this the text bleeds outside of this box ?"[/size]
[size=medium]------Thank you for your information. The bug will be fixed on the upcoming firmware.[/size]

[size=medium]"Can you advise if you have plans to update the version of Android on the DX100 ?"[/size]
[size=medium]------We dont have this plan. [/size]

[size=medium]Sincerely[/size]
[size=medium]iBasso Audio[/size]

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #6,940 of 13,503
Quote:
Just got this back from Ibasso

[size=medium]Hi,[/size]
[size=medium]Thank you for your emails.[/size]
[size=medium]"Can you advise if anything is planned to be done with regard to the square box the track Numbers sit in ?.......As it’s ok for up to 999 tracks but when you exceed this the text bleeds outside of this box ?"[/size]
[size=medium]------Thank you for your information. The bug will be fixed on the upcoming firmware.[/size]

[size=medium]"Can you advise if you have plans to update the version of Android on the DX100 ?"[/size]
[size=medium]------We dont have this plan. [/size]

[size=medium]Sincerely[/size]
[size=medium]iBasso Audio[/size]

As I've stated before, I don't see a need to upgrade to ICS - Just get the damn kinks worked out in Gingerbread and be done with it! The file sorting and cutting off the first bit of each track really bugs me.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #6,941 of 13,503
The current DX100 hardware would likely struggle to run ICS at any reasonable speed. As mentioned above ICS isn't an issue for me. I just want the current DX100 refined as best as possible

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #6,942 of 13,503
Quote:
The current DX100 hardware would likely struggle to run ICS at any reasonable speed. As mentioned above ICS isn't an issue for me. I just want the current DX100 refined as best as possible

Not because of the hardwre.

That RockChip RK2918 is no slouch... 1ghz but can be bumped to 1.2ghz. built in 2d/3d. Add to that the massive LCD resolution of 320x480 and the hardware itself will not be a bottle neck.

Overkill actually and ICS is not that thick. Requires GOOD programming. If we were to take the music player as the submission for an entrance exam. they would receive an F or No Pass. :wink:

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #6,943 of 13,503
Quote:

That RockChip RK2918 is no slouch... 1ghz but can be bumped to 1.2ghz. built in 2d/3d. Add to that the massive LCD resolution of 320x480 and the hardware itself will not be a bottle neck.

Overkill actually and ICS is not that thick. Requires GOOD programming. If we were to take the music player as the submission for an entrance exam. they would receive an F or No Pass. :wink:

The player works fine for me. No real issues. I go the the album I want to play and it plays it from wherever I start it and for all but a couple, starting from 1 to the end. I get artwork and an easy listing of the albums to pick from. It takes about 1 or 2 minutes when I load a new micro SD card to allow access and I get great sound on top of this.  

Jul 13, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #6,944 of 13,503
Wow finally back on a pc , be it public . In brief 2 months away from a pc and many more to come as im caring for my Dad in a rural area
no pc/no internet , long cycle rides to town to do so

So i got my Dx100 about 3 wks ago . beautiful sound with my SR71B and Sennheiser hd 800s . BUT IMO is far from properly
powering the cans w/out the ext amp . Tho it sounds nice , it dont seem to have the power . So far

im on 1.1.7 as many are now

Heres my problems

1. No cover art , maybe 200 pages ago bef i left town i read some fixes b4 i got my dx100 , but cant find them now and this
free public access is sooooo slow .

2. i have a lexar 32 GB micro sd class 10 . When i have it plugged in , i cant find many of my lps on internal memory ,
when i pull it out , and reboot w/out ext sd , all shows on internal fine . Just pulling sd ,shutting down , putting
sd back in n rebooting use to fix this , but no more . Any advice , i cant find this media scanner program
i read about here , cant i simply just re scan all when rebooted ?

3. How can , if , search for albums/artists/tracks etc on DX100 , i only see google search

It may be many more days , if not weeks b4 im at a pc again , these cycle rides to town in heat are killer

Cheers mates

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #6,945 of 13,503
Quote:

That's not the problem. The problem is the amount of memory the DX100 is running on. It's only 512 I think. It would need to be at least 1GB to run satisfactory. To be quite frank Rock-chips aren't that great and they are too closed so no third parties could go in to fix their buggy coding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back