iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 2, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #3,631 of 13,503

Quote:
I was able to get 40% of the album covers using dx100 and the album art app
With my note and the same sdcard removed from dx100 and reformatted then copied the same files the app was able to download 95%!???????? I have no explanation

I kinda wish I did this lol would have saved me a lot of time. But I know for sure everything was tagged properly and I cleaned up all the tags and even retagged many songs that I couldn't find the album info from. Basically same artists and same songs but different album versions.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #3,632 of 13,503
What a very refreshing wake up call. Thank you, DigitalFreak, for posting this; nothing you've mentioned is incorrect and I 100% agree with every point you've made.

[rant]This high-end, high-priced, product should have been R&Ded extensively, and the UI be perfected to an extent that isn't this troublesome, before the DX100 was released. It's unacceptable to price units slightly lower and use the customers as guinea pigs to do their bug testing for them. No matter how good the DX100 sounds, a DAP is only successful upon its ability to execute. Sure, it has good internals, but no matter how good they are, if the UI is a complete piece of sh**excuse the language, the DX100 only gets classified as, "just another DAP." Some of you can argue all you want, but the truth is that nobody deserves this kind of treatment and unfinished product for such a high price. You say the sound is all that matters because this is an "audiophile" DAP. Would you like to pay $200,000 for a V12 engine with a metal frame and a seat to sit in, but with absolutely no design, luxury, or any features. for a super-car? Or the other way around, pay $200,000 for a Lamborghini and have the engine be a V4 you find in a 98' Honda? You're paying the premium for the whole package, not just one aspect. I understand that some of you bought this DAP purely for the sound; however, this does not mean that everyone should be the same as you.

I'm just relieved that iBasso's working hard to put out their next firmware to fix most of these issues. I applaud them for their effort, but I cannot do the same for their mistake of putting out such an incomplete product just to meet the deadline. [/rant]

However, the sound of this DAP amazes me every time I put on my cans. 
o2smile.gif

Quote:
DigitalFreak here....

...DigitalFreak out.

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #3,633 of 13,503
Quote:
I was able to get 40% of the album covers using dx100 and the album art app
With my note and the same sdcard removed from dx100 and reformatted then copied the same files the app was able to download 95%!???????? I have no explanation

I kinda wish I did this lol would have saved me a lot of time. But I know for sure everything was tagged properly and I cleaned up all the tags and even retagged many songs that I couldn't find the album info from. Basically same artists and same songs but different album versions.

The remaining in unknown albums where clips:)
So basically it got them all on the galaxy Note.
But again tried the same files, still 40% on dx100?!!! Anybody has an explanation?

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #3,634 of 13,503

I agree and on this aspect I am very upset with ibasso. I was expecting a flawless player which they advertised it as such. Its not quite there yet and I'm not 100% sure it every will... But it really does sound good and its positives outweigh its negatives. But for such a premium there is no excuse regardless. Same goes for Hifiman with the 801.
Quote:
What a very refreshing wake up call. Thank you, DigitalFreak, for posting this; nothing you've mentioned is incorrect and I 100% agree with every point you've made.

[rant]This high-end, high-priced, product should have been R&Ded extensively, and the UI be perfected to an extent that isn't this troublesome, before the DX100 was released. It's unacceptable to price units slightly lower and use the customers as guinea pigs to do their bug testing for them. No matter how good the DX100 sounds, a DAP is only successful upon its ability to execute. Sure, it has good internals, but no matter how good they are, if the UI is a complete piece of sh**excuse the language, the DX100 only gets classified as, "just another DAP." Some of you can argue all you want, but the truth is that nobody deserves this kind of treatment and unfinished product for such a high price. You say the sound is all that matters because this is an "audiophile" DAP. Would you like to pay $200,000 for a V12 engine with a metal frame and a seat to sit in, but with absolutely no design, luxury, or any features. for a super-car? Or the other way around, pay $200,000 for a Lamborghini and have the engine be a V4 you find in a 98' Honda? You're paying the premium for the whole package, not just one aspect. I understand that some of you bought this DAP purely for the sound; however, this does not mean that everyone should be the same as you.

I'm just relieved that iBasso's working hard to put out their next firmware to fix most of these issues. I applaud them for their effort, but I cannot do the same for their mistake of putting out such an incomplete product just to meet the deadline. [/rant]

However, the sound of this DAP amazes me every time I put on my cans. 
o2smile.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #3,635 of 13,503

Quote:
But again tried the same files, still 40% on dx100?!!! Anybody has an explanation?

I'm curious about this program. How do you know it will properly tag every file? Not even when doing so manually was I able to get the proper tags from Mp3tag. Well I mean album art and such. But usually it works.

Another question for you fellow DX owners. Do you guys like the screen rotate feature? It was irritating me to no end as I like to look at the picture vertically. So I turned it off and the player does seem to be a tad less buggy this way. Not sure if its in my head. Maybe you guys can test this out and see for yourselves?

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #3,636 of 13,503
3ed7d6ca-7e59-8afd.jpg

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #3,637 of 13,503
My DX100 should be leaving Shenzen today so I've been loading up select flac files ranging from 16/44.1 to 24/192 and 3-4 albums in Mp3 (mostly for testing) and have now embarked on the great quest of making sure all the tags are in place, superflous tags like "Album Artist" and comments are removed etc.

Dammit Turok, posting that picture just makes me miss my customs even more!

My personal take on the DX100 sound quality vs. UI bugs: It is sonically so far beyond Cowon and Apple players that I'm not comparing it to them. Instead, I'll compare the UI to that of the Colorfly and HifiMAN daps and the buggy DX100 still comes out on top. I'm still quite happy with my choice of dap, thank you very much.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #3,638 of 13,503

Quote:
My DX100 should be leaving Shenzen today

Me too.. just paid in full and talking with iBasso now for delivery. Ive made my bed and now and I have to sleep in it so to speak. Looks like I won't get it in time for Easter in AU though. 

Re: Bugs.. am locked in and have to have faith in iBasso for fixing them up in the next update. They treated the first batch of DX100 owners well by letting them send them back and updating them to the 2nd batch so we have no reason to think they are going to take the 2nd batchers for a ride. I watched the LCD3 "car accident" with Veil, non-Veil, Cherry Picked, Toilet Paper mod and now Tube-gate for ear compression and I tell myself this is the price you pay for cutting edge HeadFi. Do i still want some LCD3s.. YEP. If you want safe then you need to move over to the queue that sells stock iPods and Beats. Having said all this if I hadnt put the $ down I would have waited to these bugs were ironed out.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #3,639 of 13,503

The wifi and procesdors are not fast enough on the DX100 and the app. hangs up, on trying to locate the album art. Try a few more times and if it still can not get anymore. Do it manually. If you have tagged with a cover.jpg then press on the empty album. And 3 options come up. Choose " from gallery " and in the gallery pick the correct art and it will attach it. Tedious yes but you end up will all the art.

With the Note, it never gets them all anyway...90% thats a great achievement... lol

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #3,640 of 13,503
In the spirit of DigitalFreak's post, I've had the same thoughts but am willing to allow ibasso some time to implement some firmware updates. 

To add my own dose of frankness, while I like the DX100 and it looks like it could replace an H140 as a digital transport...I am stumped by many folks assertions that this is the best portable sound ever.  I admit mine is not burned in yet, and accept that it may change later...but right now with 20 hours on it, I cannot see how it can transform enough to change my impressions 

I am convinced that the amp (as far as hardware) is this device's weakness.  It does not compete with my Hiflight topkit D12 or SR71b.  I find the sound directly out of the DX100 to be good, but comparatively flat with missing bass depth, imaging, soundstage and overall impact.  I am perplexed that so many are having such a different experience than me.  I was hoping that the DX100 would provide an all-in-one solution...but it appears it will only replace one of my components (source), or perhaps two as I am still testing the DX100's DAC which appears to be very good.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #3,641 of 13,503

Quote:
The wifi and procesdors are not fast enough on the DX100 and the app. hangs up, on trying to locate the album art. Try a few more times and if it still can not get anymore. Do it manually. If you have tagged with a cover.jpg then press on the empty album. And 3 options come up. Choose " from gallery " and in the gallery pick the correct art and it will attach it. Tedious yes but you end up will all the art.
With the Note, it never gets them all anyway...90% thats a great achievement... lol

I have all my Flac, tagged correctly with both 1-Album covers  attached 2-album cover picture named same as the corresponding song in the same folder. The app in Note got all covers after two auto searches!!
So why do I have to manually do this with the same songs on the DX100, this is what bugs me and confuses me.....same app same songs..different result...

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #3,642 of 13,503
If you read some of the early early posts on here, you will find that people (jamato i believe) found the bass got really detailed and tight with burn in. Give it some time, but i agree even without having the device. I never think anything is the best over another thing. In most cases where their is a competitive product, its a matter of preference for a player. 

Quote:
In the spirit of DigitalFreak's post, I've had the same thoughts but am willing to allow ibasso some time to implement some firmware updates. 

To add my own dose of frankness, while I like the DX100 and it looks like it could replace an H140 as a digital transport...I am stumped by many folks assertions that this is the best portable sound ever.  I admit mine is not burned in yet, and accept that it may change later...but right now with 20 hours on it, I cannot see how it can transform enough to change my impressions 

I am convinced that the amp (as far as hardware) is this device's weakness.  It does not compete with my Hiflight topkit D12 or SR71b.  I find the sound directly out of the DX100 to be good, but comparatively flat with missing bass depth, imaging, soundstage and overall impact.  I am perplexed that so many are having such a different experience than me.  I was hoping that the DX100 would provide an all-in-one solution...but it appears it will only replace one of my components (source), or perhaps two as I am still testing the DX100's DAC which appears to be very good.

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #3,644 of 13,503

Quote:
I am convinced that the amp (as far as hardware) is this device's weakness.  It does not compete with my Hiflight topkit D12 or SR71b.  I find the sound directly out of the DX100 to be good, but comparatively flat with missing bass depth, imaging, soundstage and overall impact.

I am slightly convinced that the sound sig is due to the choice of opamp used.

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #3,645 of 13,503
I am convinced that the DX100 is currently the best possible one-box solution there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back