Ibasso Discrete portable DAC with R2R D16
Apr 6, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #421 of 459
May I ask
Has anyone compared different digital transport for d16 and does it make a difference?

I’m currently using shanling m1S
And also desktop NUC

does ibasso 260x or other mobile DAP as transport make any difference via USBC?

many thanks
The quality of digital source makes a difference for sure (not night and day of course), Im using my D16 with an android tablet as a source and now I included a small DDC Holo Audio Titanis and the difference is clearly hearable. I thing that, it removed the noise, which you cant hear normally, but this noise makes a problems in the DAC by coversion. The blacker backgroung means better 3D-ness, better dynamics, sharper note-contures, etc... Without Titanis, the sound is really good, but with it, it is on higher level for sure..

Attachments

• IMG_20240406_085500.jpg
    IMG_20240406_085500.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 0
Apr 6, 2024 at 4:19 AM Post #422 of 459
The quality of digital source makes a difference for sure (not night and day of course), Im using my D16 with an android tablet as a source and now I included a small DDC Holo Audio Titanis and the difference is clearly hearable. I thing that, it removed the noise, which you cant hear normally, but this noise makes a problems in the DAC by coversion. The blacker backgroung means better 3D-ness, better dynamics, sharper note-contures, etc... Without Titanis, the sound is really good, but with it, it is on higher level for sure..
Cool
I knew Titanis only built-in my Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE so far

...I have just checked - sold out

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #423 of 459
Cool
I knew Titanis only built-in my Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE so far

...I have just checked - sold out
Unfortunatelly it is discontinued, but it is possible to buy it second-hand (as I did) or there are many others, singxer F1 for example, or normal big DDC (then the difference will be even bigger probably, but it is not portable of course), this Titanis is great for portable use, you can use it also with dongles, which is great..

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #424 of 459
For a transportable device I wish they would have made the D16 a bit bigger to include similar electronics as in this Titanis so we would not have to multiply the boxes to get the best sound out of USB. Ho well, that's my eternal complaint and I certainly don't mean to bash iBasso with their incredible sounding D16 but I feel sad most if not all manufacturers haven't yet inserted some USB cleanup electronics in their transportable DAC devices.

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #425 of 459
For a transportable device I wish they would have made the D16 a bit bigger to include similar electronics as in this Titanis so we would not have to multiply the boxes to get the best sound out of USB. Ho well, that's my eternal complaint and I certainly don't mean to bash iBasso with their incredible sounding D16 but I feel sad most if not all manufacturers haven't yet inserted some USB cleanup electronics in their transportable DAC devices.
100% agree...

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #426 of 459
Not 100% sure but I think Ifi is doing that yet.
The reason why others don't is I think that they're not specialized on Dac/Amp devices but producing DAPs which are usually supposed to play standalone.
On the other hand I don't know how big that difference really is.
I am usually streaming to D16 using Eversolo A6 Master desktop streamer which should yet fair quite well as a source and so far mostly used Coax while on the go using USB.
Haven't done real critical A-B yet

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #429 of 459
Which Android phones does it sound good with? So far every USB DAC I've tried with my Honor phone have sounded harsh.

If you have tried multiple usb dac or dongles with your smartphone (digital source), and they all "sound" harsh, it has more to do with the sound sig and tuning of your IEMs than your phone or usb-dac/dongles. Your digital source can improve the technical performance of your usb-dac/dongle, but it will not drastically change the tuning of your IEMs. The usb-dac/dongle itself can accentuate the sound tuning, but IMHO if everything sounds harsh, look into your IEMs or headphones first.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #430 of 459
If you have tried multiple usb dac or dongles with your smartphone (digital source), and they all "sound" harsh, it has more to do with the sound sig and tuning of your IEMs than your phone or usb-dac/dongles. Your digital source can improve the technical performance of your usb-dac/dongle, but it will not drastically change the tuning of your IEMs. The usb-dac/dongle itself can accentuate the sound tuning, but IMHO if everything sounds harsh, look into your IEMs or headphones first.
Actually it was my phone, I got a system update today that fixed the issue, cheers!

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #431 of 459
I have a question for @twister6 and anyone who have tried P6 Pro (Ti) or N7.

I recently had an opportunity to listen to P6 Pro Ti and N7. Noticing that they have been compared to D16 in your review (regarding P6 Pro Ti as more or less similar sounding as P6 Pro), I ask this question.

I heard P6 Pro Ti to be overall quite neutral and transparent with touch of more analog-like smoothness to the texture of sound. For N7, I think it had more fullness to the mid with maybe slightly more sparkle on mid-high to high frequencies, with detail being a bit inferior, compared to P6 Pro Ti.

I think I would really enjoy D16 if it had tonality something like a P6 Pro with just a hint less of smoothness but more transparency and maybe some crisp texture and airiness when called for. That is also somewhat consistent with your review, from how I got it.

I would like to hear what you think about my opinions, and a comparison in the details and clarity between D16, P6 Pro, and N7.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #432 of 459
I have a question for @twister6 and anyone who have tried P6 Pro (Ti) or N7.

I recently had an opportunity to listen to P6 Pro Ti and N7. Noticing that they have been compared to D16 in your review (regarding P6 Pro Ti as more or less similar sounding as P6 Pro), I ask this question.

I heard P6 Pro Ti to be overall quite neutral and transparent with touch of more analog-like smoothness to the texture of sound. For N7, I think it had more fullness to the mid with maybe slightly more sparkle on mid-high to high frequencies, with detail being a bit inferior, compared to P6 Pro Ti.

I think I would really enjoy D16 if it had tonality something like a P6 Pro with just a hint less of smoothness but more transparency and maybe some crisp texture and airiness when called for. That is also somewhat consistent with your review, from how I got it.

I would like to hear what you think about my opinions, and a comparison in the details and clarity between D16, P6 Pro, and N7.

Thanks!

It does sound like you have all your questions already answered after reading my review since you understood my sound comparison (relative to iems I used in my testing) as I intended to. Can't speak for Ti version of P6 Pro since I never heard it. But I did read about it having a different amp design and brighter tonality, especially relative to its treble.

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #433 of 459
It does sound like you have all your questions already answered after reading my review since you understood my sound comparison (relative to iems I used in my testing) as I intended to. Can't speak for Ti version of P6 Pro since I never heard it. But I did read about it having a different amp design and brighter tonality, especially relative to its treble.
Thanks for your answer. If P6 Pro Ti has brighter sound than P6 Pro, then it seems to be that D16 and P6 Pro Ti may sound more alike.

Well, as always, I really should be listening to D16 by myself… Hope that I somehow manage to do that shortly.

Apr 19, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #435 of 459
I'm not sure if this has been answered as there i multiple threads with D16 information, but has anyone done a direct comparison between the DX320 MAX and the DX260 feeding D16? DX320 MAX seems to be a bit of a waste to use just as a transport, where as DX260 has the same SoC, slightly less ram, same software, same screen, is lighter, less expensive and potentially has an updated digital output stage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back