Ibasso D2 vs Ibasso D3?
Oct 15, 2008 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

energie

100+ Head-Fier
So i was going to buy the D3 but it is out of stock atm.

Just want to know any real difference between the D3 and his previous model D2.

Is it really worth upgrading?

thanks

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by energie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get off pleaz, you are useless here.

a sense of humor might help you, energie.
But , seriously, read the several threads on the D3 where some have compared it to the D2.

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 31
took my time on reading already but i didnt understand what the Line out function do.

Just skip battery section and make the dac works directly from the usb?

And the D2's battery is replaceable?

thanks

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 31
the line out is used to feed the DAC to a different amp than the D3 if you want to do that.
The D3 has a great DAC and you could use it with your home amp for example.
So the line out skips the amp and doesn't need batteries.

Oct 15, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 31
oh that was helpful, i dont really need that function.

I just want a portable amp that can be used with my laptop, since the integrated sound sux big time.

Shall i go for the D2 then?

Sorry if i jumped on you, had a bad day.

Oct 16, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

I just want a portable amp that can be used with my laptop, since the integrated sound sux big time.

No worry, humor is hard to get across on the internet.

I would wait for the D3 because it is a very impressive amp and DAC.
iBasso should have some more in stock soon.

I have been so happy I bought mine, one of my best audio purchases in recent years.

On a bad day I open a good red, listen to some music and fantasize about my next guitar or audio purchase.

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 31
Actually, from all that appears from the specs, and from what iBasso has said, the DAC is identical on the D2 Boa and D3 Python. The amps differ, but not the DACs -- unless you have additional information...

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Wait for the D3 it sounds exceptional

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #11 of 31
ok thanks everyone, i'll wait then
frown.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #13 of 31
The D2 does not sound bad, in fact with an appropriate choice of opamps, it sounds superb, however the D3 has a more 3-dimensional soundstage which I have been unable to duplicate in my Viper.

It is an intangible, probably unmeasurable difference that one can hear only by A-B comparisons. I do think the D3 DAC is improved over that of the Viper, and does not require any battery power when using only the DAC, if that is a consideration of use.

Oct 16, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 31
The D2 Boa's opamps are soldered on and generally unrollable for the lazy and unwilling (such as me
smily_headphones1.gif
). The old D2 Viper is roughly the same size as the D3 and has opamp sockets for easy rolling but was only on a limited run.

If you only plan to use the DAC/Amp combo with your laptop, I would suggest for you to get the D2 Boa which can run entirely off of USB power (meaning the DAC and Amp at same time) since the internal batteries recharge through the USB cable. The D3 has no recharge ability and if you were to use the Amp with the DAC at same time, it would run off battery power. It also helps that the D2 Boa is smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back