iBasso D2+, Corda 2Move, and Emerald -- Decision help!
Sep 29, 2009 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kb1gra

100+ Head-Fier
So I am in the market for a DAC/Amp in the $200ish range.

For within $10 of price, I can buy an iBasso d2+ (new), a Corda 2Move (used) or an emerald (used).

For a little more I can get the Emerald new, or a Fubar III ($229).

I have no idea what might make one superior to another and what would be the best in my price range. This is going to become a DAC only once my Mini3 is built, so if any of these don't make that possible, that would eliminate them.

Someone who understands this stuff better than I, PLEASE HELP!

I read the review of the 13 DAC/Amps but by the time I got through it all I was more confused than when I started. Portability is the least important feature as this will be desk-bound. Something that will resell easily would also be good, as a y1 is also on the to-do list for the near future, but I imagine all of these would be fairly easy to resell.

Thanks!

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 7
i had all you listed. i will get the Carat Emerald, it was best IMO.
I found 2Move internat DAC to be mediocre at its best, but it had a nice amp inside, iBasso D2 had a good DAC, but a poor amplification, Emerald has them both IMO, and it is wall wart powered, no need to recharge the batteries everytime. Emerald is bigger, sturdier, more powerfull it is 90% of the Topaz i would say.
Stay away from the FubarIII it has the same DAC inside as the 2Move (a very entry level DAC)

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 7
Just realized I might have put this in the wrong forum but...

is it more worth it to get the Emerald used for $150 or new for $195? Does it make a difference? I've never bought used equipment before.

I will add that the DAC is the most important part of this...I have a mini3 that is halfway built that's going to be my main amp, and frankly only one set of my headphones is really amp dependent (300ohm HD580s) so a mediocre amp but a great DAC would be ok...though obviously I'd like to get the best for my money.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 7
Used - you'll save money, but you take a risk of the previous owner not taking good care of the item.

At $45 difference, I'd go for new. That way you have the ability to return to the seller for warranty repair should it need it. And especially with portable items, the constant movement is always a concern for internal damage.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 7
So for $195, is the Emerald the best I can buy? I am reading that the emerald does have a loop RCA out instead of a preamp which is good because then I can use it as a standalone DAC later, right?

I really wish I understood this stuff. I'm only looking at portables because they seem to be a lot less expensive than their desktop counterparts, and my budget is apparently on the "super budget-fi" side of things as people are calling $500 amps "inexpensive." I don't plan to move this thing much.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 7
What about the D3?

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the D3?

The D3 is sold out and a cursory search does not turn up any available used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back