iBasso D10 and Schiit Valhalla
Sep 11, 2011 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

x3sphere

Head-Fier
OK, I'm thinking of getting a  Schiit Valhalla to go along with my iBasso D10 and HD650s. It's a stupid question, but I'm just confused on how to hook everything up.

I want to use the iBasso D10 as a DAC only...

so, would the setup look like this? Headphones -> Valhalla -> D10 connected via AUX IN/OUT -> Computer

In this case, would only the DAC portion of the iBasso be used? There's no switch for turning off the amp, so I have no idea, unless the DAC portion can still operate when the power switch is turned off?

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 7
I will go ahead and bump your thread so that other members will see it.

I can't give you a good answer.

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 7
I am looking at my D10 -- I believe the mini USB/optical/co-ax on the rear panel are all inputs.  The only output is the Aux In-Out on the front panel, but it is for a 3.5mm mini jack.  I guess in theory you could use adapters to connect and send the analog signal to your amp (like a mini>RCA "Y" connector)  but I doubt the D10's output voltage is sufficient.  Connection would be computer > D10 (using any of the rear inputs) > aux in-out > amp.  Again, the voltage output is going to be the limiting factor.   

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 7
Yes, USB to D10, D10 aux out to amp. Leave the D10 off until it is all hooked up so it can recognize where its getting its signal and where its going.

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 7
Most amps want 2V or more from the source, so the question is whether the D10 provides enough gain.  This is an analog, not digital signal. I have tried this just for $hits and grins on the big rig, using various pieces of portable equipment, and SQ is always compromised. Please let us know how this works out in your specific application.

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 7
Use the input 3.5mm as the output. Thats how you get a line out signal and use it as a DAC only.

When USB or optical is plugged in, the input jack becomes the line out!

Hope that solves it

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 7
Hello X3sphere,
I use an iBasso D12 with a Matrix M Stage.
I use a 3.5mm to RCA adpator cord from the Aux In/Out on the D12 to my Matrix M Stage.
The D12 (which is very similar to the D10) has no problems driving the input of the Matrix (Matrix gain is set to 10 dB for my Q701 hp), volume control on Matrix is usually between 11-1 o'clock.
You should have no troubles, the D12 is a good sounding DAC and I'm sure your D10 will be very fine.
The volume control on the D10 has no effect on the Aux Out jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back