iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .
Aug 6, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #196 of 612
Would this be able to power a pair of dt880s (600 ohm) well?  I'm looking for a portable amp to move between my computer and gaming area so tubes are less than ideal.

Aug 6, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #197 of 612
Except for electrostatics, I have yet to find a phone that the PB1 cannot drive to levels that are harmful to your hearing. 

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #198 of 612
I know I have commented on the HF2's balanced but I am still surprised how much better they sound. Right before I left for Micronesia I was going to sell them. But as I listened to them balanced I could hear that there was much more to be heard from them. Now with more burn in time on the PB1 and having listened to a variety of music from blues to classical, all I can say is that I am very glad I kept them. At this point I prefer them to my balanced HD650's, being more open and dynamic. They also present a more distinct and profound bass line to the music. 

This is with lossless or WAV in my iRiver H140 with optical out to the MB-1, dual dac, dac (one dac per channel) feeding the PB-1. 

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #200 of 612
What I would like to try are the HE-5LE that HiFlight raves about. From the images, they look great also. Seems they would be a lot of fun with the PB-1. 

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #201 of 612
sorry im a new to this forum. just one question, would i have to reterminate all my headphone cables to work with balanced output? or can i buy some sort of adaptor? i was looking at this on ibasso's website http://ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=59
is this an adaptor that can be used with the toucan and boomslang? sorry if this question was already answered

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #202 of 612

Quote:
sorry im a new to this forum. just one question, would i have to reterminate all my headphone cables to work with balanced output? or can i buy some sort of adaptor? i was looking at this on ibasso's website http://ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=59
is this an adaptor that can be used with the toucan and boomslang? sorry if this question was already answered

You have to reterminate your phones. If they have two grounds to the connector, then you can use the stock wire. Single ended uses a common ground but balanced uses a positive and negative flow to drive the transducer. Balanced was designed for noise rejection in long runs of cable in the studio but has found positive uses in audio for sound reproduction. Some feel it is a benefit to sound and some not. I do find there is a sound performance improvement with phones. I have also built home audio balanced gear and find an enhanced response in most all areas of sound reproduction.  

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #204 of 612
interesting pictures those 

Quote:
Jamoto8,

I've been close to pulling the trigger on the Protector, but now I'm very excited to hear about a near-term portable balanced DAC to supply a matching balanced amp.

Can you reveal if the custom case will be designed to store both the Boomslang and Toucan together, or will each come with its own separate case? 

Likewise, will the DAC be USB powered only, or will it have the option to run off a battery only for use with a non-powered USB port?

Will the Boomslang and Toucan both be available for purchase at the same time?

Edit: I found a pic!

Aug 13, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #206 of 612
I don't think it needs to be replaced but who knows.  Mine also makes those high pitched morse code like noises, trying to send my secrets to the Chinese... but only when it is plugged in and not charging the PB1.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #207 of 612
I get no noise but I use the MB1 dual dac as a source but at no time do I get noise form the charger. You shouldn't be getting any noise so I would contact iBasso. 

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #209 of 612
Yes the switching power supplies that most everyone is using now, due to low cost and a big saving on size and weight, are the driving force. They used to be terrible for noise but have much improved over the last few years. 

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #210 of 612
Invest a couple of hundred dollars in a audiophile grade power filter. Might help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back