IBasso Audio IT03
Oct 29, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #946 of 3,344
Impressions please when you get to try them with a balanced cable. :) If you also have the ALO Reference 8 cable, that would be more interesting.

Nope, no Reference 8 cable here, my man. I found IT03 responded better to some sources than others with respect to taming the bass and bringing the mids forward, so if you haven't anyway I'd recommend playing around with different amps, DAPs, etc...

Oct 29, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #947 of 3,344
Nope, no Reference 8 cable here, my man. I found IT03 responded better to some sources than others with respect to taming the bass and bringing the mids forward, so if you haven't anyway I'd recommend playing around with different amps, DAPs, etc...

It has very good synergy with the new Hifiman Supermini - I think the IT03 likes a source with a decent amount of power.

Waiting on a 3.5 to 2.5 balanced adapter to see what the IT03 sounds like balanced (the Supermini is my only balanced source) - hopefully it will turn up with a set of VE Monk Plus in time for me to include the results in the impressions I'm putting off writing! :wink:

Oct 29, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #948 of 3,344
These are still fresh from the box and I only tried a few songs with the stock cable. Coherency wasn't that good on fast songs, bass was a bit overwhelming for my taste at least, mids sounded a bit overshadowed by the overall bass. These were my thoughts when I was trying them OOTB. Though I understood why some people were comparing them to the Andromeda. Some songs I used to try with the Andro sounded a bit close to the IT03 but still lacks the crispiness of the treble and the quality of its sparkle. I prefer the mids of Andro as well. After I swapped the cables, almost everything changed. The bass got tamed, treble surfaced a bit more compared to stock, mids sounded natural but still not as front as Andro. By the way, I heard some peaks on some vocal tracks I tried using the stock cable. That was gone after swapping the cables. I'm still curious how will these sound after the prescribed 150 hours of burn in.

Not a major believer or disbeliever in burn in, but I have found the bass settling down in terms of presence and quantity as my set approach the 100hrs mark. Really liking the sun bass and how it adds substance to some of my favourite rock tracks.

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #950 of 3,344
I measured before and after ~200hr burn in with no measurable change. Not that there couldn't be some audible changes in big picking up with measurements. Just thought I'd let people know I did remeasure but didn't pick up any changes.

I have that headphones and I can't hear any difference in sounding after 150h of so called burn-in, they don't want to sound differently after burn-in, maybe mine are defective? :wink:

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #951 of 3,344
Maybe it's just brain burn in, but the bassiness of the signature has receded in my head, leaving them sounding a little more balanced, but still with plenty of bass impact. I Have been listening about as much as I have been "burning" them, duo could easily just be getting used to the tuning.

Either way, the sound is very enjoyable - not going to worry too much slot working out why! :wink:

Oct 29, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #952 of 3,344
Reading this thread inspired me to pop the IT03s in for a quick listen. One Jack Savoretti album and a few All-American Rejects tracks later and I've just noticed what I've been doing. May as well settle in for the night! :wink:

Oct 30, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #953 of 3,344
So I'm interested in picking up the IT03 as my next universal IEM. I have read through this thread, but had a few questions:

1) I'm a little unclear about the sound signature. Is it energetic rather than smooth? Also, it is not a dark sounding IEM, correct? Is it comparable to any other IEMs?

2) How is the isolation? Is it comparable to Shure and Westone IEMs?

3) I gather the IT03 doesn't come with any foam tips? I assume you can use Comply, but how do they affect the sound (if at all)?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #954 of 3,344
  So I'm interested in picking up the IT03 as my next universal IEM. I have read through this thread, but had a few questions:

1) I'm a little unclear about the sound signature. Is it energetic rather than smooth? Also, it is not a dark sounding IEM, correct? Is it comparable to any other IEMs?

2) How is the isolation? Is it comparable to Shure and Westone IEMs?

3) I gather the IT03 doesn't come with any foam tips? I assume you can use Comply, but how do they affect the sound (if at all)?

Thanks in advance.

1. It's energetic AND smooth. May be not the smoothest around but definitely one of the smoothest TWFK based set I have ever heard. I believe its safe to say the IT03 is quite smooth for the amount of treble on show. Signature is just a touch V shaped with good mid presence (IT03 will never be classified having thick lush mids though)

2. Isolation is slightly less than a deep fitting Shure or Westone with foam tip. In general isolation is more than adequate for commuting.

3. No foam tips included. I don't have comply but did try using some generic foam tips. It reduces the treble energy and brings the mid range a hair forward in the mix. For my tastes the wide bore and short stem stock silicon tip sound better.

Oct 30, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #955 of 3,344
These are still fresh from the box and I only tried a few songs with the stock cable. Coherency wasn't that good on fast songs, bass was a bit overwhelming for my taste at least, mids sounded a bit overshadowed by the overall bass. These were my thoughts when I was trying them OOTB. Though I understood why some people were comparing them to the Andromeda. Some songs I used to try with the Andro sounded a bit close to the IT03 but still lacks the crispiness of the treble and the quality of its sparkle. I prefer the mids of Andro as well. After I swapped the cables, almost everything changed. The bass got tamed, treble surfaced a bit more compared to stock, mids sounded natural but still not as front as Andro. By the way, I heard some peaks on some vocal tracks I tried using the stock cable. That was gone after swapping the cables. I'm still curious how will these sound after the prescribed 150 hours of burn in.
Had got this set about 2 weeks, and have burned in almost 100 hours (i think) with the stock cable.
As of now, i heard the coherence and sound signature has tamed down. The sound spectrum has been smoother and the bass were in place now.
Yes, the high/peak notes sounded quite sharp earlier on. But after some time, it was smooth and fluid.
Trust it will get better after the 150 hours mark.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #956 of 3,344
How does the IT03 sound compared to Fidue A83? Im planning to replace my A83 since I lost it 2 weeks ago. I like the sound of Fidue A83 but the mids are a bit thin, does the IT03 has that similarity when it comes to Mids? 

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #957 of 3,344
  How does the IT03 sound compared to Fidue A83? Im planning to replace my A83 since I lost it 2 weeks ago. I like the sound of Fidue A83 but the mids are a bit thin, does the IT03 has that similarity when it comes to Mids? 

Here you go: http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-it03/reviews/17101

Quote from my review:
 UPQ Q-music QE80 (OEM of the Fidue A83):
The QE80 has got the somewhat warmer/fuller root and bottom end, however less level below 80 Hz and is somewhat rolling off towards the sub-bass whereas the IT03 is climbing here. So where the IT03 has got a more sub-bass driven bass, the QE80 is smoother and more relaxed sounding here.
In the mids, the QE80 sounds a bit more distant and has got the leaner, brighter vocal reproduction. In the highs, the UPQ is brighter and leaner, however a little more coherent here whereas the IT03 sounds more realistic and tonally correct.
Overall detail retrieval is pretty much identical with both in-ears. Still, I find the IT03 to be a bit more refined and separated in the mids and upper highs. In the bass, the QE80 appears a tiny bit more detailed, however the IT03 has got the better controlled and faster bottom-end.
The QE80’s soundstage appears a little wider and also slightly deeper in comparison, however the IT03 outperforms the UPQ when it comes to instrument placement, separation and spatial precision.

To me it sounds like the IT03 could be a match for you, based on your description of the Fidue's mids.

Oct 31, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #958 of 3,344
Got a set coming in to pitch against my Noble 3's. Pretty excited to see how these turn out, N3U's aren't really my cup of tea.
Did a quick search and couldn't find any mention of the pairing with the X3ii. Any of you good folks have both and comment? Do they have a hiss with the X3ii?

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #959 of 3,344
I've been listening to IT03 for a few hours now.

I'm quite pleased with the sound, I agree with those saying its a nice earphone. Great coherency, open sounding. I've also noticed the bass is quite tight and rather detailed. So far I find them rather balanced across the bass and treble, maybe a little less on the highs compared to the rest of the frequency range. I've already asked myself if I could live with IT03 if I somehow lost my other higher teir earphones, I believe I could, yes. It would probably be my first alternative from what I've heard this year. 

Will chime in further when we get to know each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back