iAudio X5 ID3 Database Support
Jul 12, 2005 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TWIFOSP

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone have the latest news/rumors on wether the X5 will have id3 database support in the future?

I'm real close to buying one, but the fact that reads ID3 tags, but won't sort my music by them really annoys me. I have all my music sorted into folders, but I do NOT have the track number in my title. This usually means all the music will be sorted alphabetically instead of by track order. Which will drive me insane. And editing all those files doesn't sound rather appealing to me either.

Whats the scoop?

Jul 12, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 8
OK call me crazy but Im not sure what everyone is so bent about. I have the X5 and have no problems categorizing my music. I burn my cds to my computer through WMP10 and its all saved into my music folder. All the cds are saved in their respectively named folders. All multiple cd's are saved within those said named folders.

I just drag and dropped all these folders into the 'music' folder on the X5 and all my albums are stored alphabetically but within them, each song is stored in the order as it is on the cd. I prefer having my cd titles stored alphabetically while having the tracks remain constant within them.

Is this not what people want?

Jul 12, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 8
Problem is if you didnt start out that way as I didnt and used EAC and had it label by artist - album - title, then it will go alphabetical without having the track number in the title. I have my tracks as the OP has, in the ID3 tags although my karma sorts them fine. I am also looking for a new larger and more sturdy dap, but need this support as well. Being a MSD is not important to me.

Jul 12, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 8
MSD?

Jul 12, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 8
There's at least a dozen applications out there that will automatically rename mp3s according to their ID3 tags. Check out "Tag and Rename," that's what I use. Seriously, there's no difference between sorting by folder and sorting by tag other than one click of the mouse.

Jul 12, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3
OK call me crazy but Im not sure what everyone is so bent about. I have the X5 and have no problems categorizing my music. I burn my cds to my computer through WMP10 and its all saved into my music folder. All the cds are saved in their respectively named folders. All multiple cd's are saved within those said named folders.

I just drag and dropped all these folders into the 'music' folder on the X5 and all my albums are stored alphabetically but within them, each song is stored in the order as it is on the cd. I prefer having my cd titles stored alphabetically while having the tracks remain constant within them.

Is this not what people want?

Hyper, do you have track number in the name of the file?

What you described is exactly how I want my music. ID3 support does that for me automatically since it reads the ID3 tags and sorts accordingly.

No id3 support means it uses the folder and file names to sort. Folders are not a problem because my music is already sorted like that. However my file names are JUST the song title and nothing more. This wasn't a problem on my iPod (R.I.P.) because it looked up the tag and would put the songs in order of the track.

Does that make sense?

Jul 12, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dickli
There's at least a dozen applications out there that will automatically rename mp3s according to their ID3 tags. Check out "Tag and Rename," that's what I use. Seriously, there's no difference between sorting by folder and sorting by tag other than one click of the mouse.

Really? I will download that when I get home today and check it out. That sounds like the perfect solution to my issue and using an X5 will be no problem. Hooray!

Jul 12, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 8
I do have tag & rename and your right, it will rename the files. MSD - mass storage device = no id3 support. I do however like the database support native regardless as do many others. I also would like OTF play list support as well as proper randomizing and GAPLESS. Gapless has become important after having it. Does the X5 support gapless?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back