I wanted to hate Grados
Mar 4, 2008 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Jaska

Headphoneus Supremus
About 7 years ago, when I first got into headphone listening, I discovered the HeadRoom website and Grado headphones. At the time, I remember wanting (really badly) to pick up a pair of SR-80s, but living in Finland, this wasn't so practical or economical. I ended up getting a decent pair of AKGs, and lived with them for several years during which time they served as my only "good" headphones.

Then, as I got deeper into digitizing my music collection and investing in some other gear, I decided to try some other headphones. Over the past couple of years, this has actually amounted to a pretty substantial amount of headphones. By now, I think I've listened to just about all the dynamic headphones I care to, and somehow I've resisted buying any Grados until recently.

This morning, I received my new Grado SR-225s, and have been hugely surprised by their sound. They are the most unusual headphones I've ever heard, and I mean unusual in a good way. I will admit that when I ordered these, it wasn't for any particular sonic trait I felt lacking in other headphones I own or have previously owned; rather I just wanted to get my feet wet with the Grado sound, and figured the SR-225 would be a logical point of entry. Within a couple of hours of listening, it registered with me that I was quite possibly hearing what I, at this premature point, would consider to be the best midrange reproduction I've ever heard through headphones. I'm not ready to make any actual claims about these headphones at all yet, since I haven't listened to them enough for that, but the only other headphones I've owned that even come close to these in the mids are the AKG K271S. I have paid so little attention to Grado in the past that I'm not even sure if strong mids are the hallmark of the Grado "house sound," but I think I've really found a headphone that I can dig a lot with much of the music that I listen to (I've so far been through Neil Young & Crazy Horse's Weld double album, Dave Matthews Band's Weekend On the Rocks show, and Norah Jones' Come Away With Me and Feels Like Home albums).

I'm listening to the SR-225 straight out of the headphone jack of my Apogee Duet, and noticing what I consider to be pretty anemic bass, even for an open headphone. As with the AKG K271S, though, I don't mind giving up a bit of bass depth or even impact if I can have the mids I want. In the near future, my setup will change to include an RSA XP-7 amp, and I do hope that the bass will reach at least a bit deeper with the Grados. And, yes, I am prepared to roll op-amps (I have a pair of AD797s on order).

Lastly, I'm finding myself appreciating the highs, at least for the most part, with the Grados. They're certainly more extended than what I've become used to with the likes of the HD-580, but surprisingly I don't find them grating--so far. I suspect that once I delve deeper into my music library, I will eventually land on some material that puts the treble just a touch over the top, at least when using the Duet's headphone output. Again, I'm hoping that the XP-7, with the right op-amps, will give me a consistent presentation that I'll be happy with.

I just typed about 15 times the amount of text I planned to, so I'll wrap things quickly up by saying that the Grado SR-225 has been one heck of a nice surprise for me after all these years of completely overlooking the whole Grado line.

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 34
I just re-bought myself some 225's and have not stopped stomping my foot to the music all morning.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
They will mellow out a bit as they burn-in. You need about 50 hours for them to settle in.The bass should start to come in too.

Mar 4, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 34
Yep the 225's rock. Personally I was floored with how good they sound straight out of my 5.5g iPod. Enjoy
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was floored with how good they sound straight out of my 5.5g iPod. Enjoy
biggrin.gif

That's next on the to-do list
smily_headphones1.gif

I still haven't opened the lovely black bag containing my 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, but I'm itching to do so. Then, if it were legal to tint car windows here (it isn't), I could easily see myself using my iPod and Grados on my lengthy commutes every day.

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 34
I wanted to hate Grados too. I tried them out several times at several different stores and never really liked them. I always preferred my AKGs and Sennheisers... but then I took the plunge and bought the RS-1s (well, wifey bought'm for me - How do you like them apples?) and I absolutely love them.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 34
ya seriously how the heck do you wear this without the earlobes hurting after a while? I just got my 225 w/ default pads and im floored with the sound. Bass is as large as hd600 but tighter. I switched back to hd600 and quickly took them off
smily_headphones1.gif

It hurts even more with glasses on..
Are the earlobes suppose to stay outside / inside curve / or just painfully on the edge smashed??? stretching helps at first, guess I have to try out other pads.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 34
Everyone's ears are different. With my ears, bowls are basically circumaural. The bowls are very comfortable for me while I don't like the comfies or flats much. Others like the comfies or flats and hate the bowls. A lot of people on here find the bowls comfortable.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #12 of 34
Ditto. I find the bowls quite comfortable. As a matter of fact I've been wearing them for the past 3 1/2 hours and hadn't noticed them until I read this thread.

Like he said, everyone's ears are different. I understand there are several mods available for those who find the bowls other than comfortable.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 34
I have nothing to add for fear of being (rightly) accused of rampant fanboyism. I just wanted to sneak in here to share in the Grado joy. There really isn't anything out there like them - love them or not - which makes it very, very difficult to live without them if you do. They don't render other brands/makes redundant; I'm very partial to a lot of other headphones. But once you get touched by that house sound, oh man... let's just say if I had to choose only one pair of cans and the rest of my life was to be spent next to a huge gas generator, impractical though it may be, I'd have to go with a Grado.

Comfort-wise, I'm in the minority. Bowls and flats are fine on my ears (bowls are quasi-circumaural for me too). Just give them time and know that you have options.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #14 of 34
you guys got some strong ears
My problem is mainly the earlobes being pushed back towards the center of head with the cushion resting against it. It doesnt itch for me or any problems with skin to cushion contact, but the pressure.

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #15 of 34
I actually preferred the mids on the SR225 to my recent Stax setup,
don't let that get out or the electrostatic mafia will send out their goons
biggrin.gif

I think I am going to have to pick up another pair soon
wink.gif

Side note to Keyid, how do you like the Grado sound compared to the Senn's?
Do you still have the Eddie Current? The 225's sound fantastic with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back