I want to buy Accurate sounding IEM
Apr 11, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 20
Accurate as in a very flat frequency response?

If so, then I would recommend the Etymotic ER-4S.

If that's not within your (unstated) budget, then I'm sure others can offer suggestions based on what you want to spend and what your other preferences are.

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 20
anyone know where can i get er4p cheaper or is the altec lansing im716 equal to the of er4p or er4s what is the accuracy on the altec lansing im716 in HD MODE
does anyone knows

Apr 11, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 20
I have an ER-4P and love it, unamped through an iPod Classic. I got mine from Amazon at $169 plus shipping.

Apr 11, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 20
Yes, iM716 in HD mode does sound very close to ER4S, but mind you: both will need an amp to get a decent sound.

Apr 11, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, iM716 in HD mode does sound very close to ER4S, but mind you: both will need an amp to get a decent sound.

I can't comment on the other IEM, but my ER-4S sound nearly as good out of my 5G iPod as they do with a portable amp and LOD. There is no hiss whatsoever, and driving them to strong volume levels is not a problem at all. The sonic differences are so subtle that I would actually have to switch back and forth quite a bit to notice them.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't comment on the other IEM, but my ER-4S sound nearly as good out of my 5G iPod as they do with a portable amp and LOD. There is no hiss whatsoever, and driving them to strong volume levels is not a problem at all. The sonic differences are so subtle that I would actually have to switch back and forth quite a bit to notice them.

I am not taking about whether a source can drive ER4S or iM716 to high volume. I am referring to whether a source is capable of driving those IEM to the best of their SQ. More than often, an amp helps.

Of course, both the quality of the amp and the source, and the listener's preference/ability to detect play a role too.

Check out this thread.

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not taking about whether a source can drive ER4S or iM716 to high volume. I am referring to whether a source is capable of driving those IEM to the best of their SQ.

I thought my post dealt with volume and sound quality separately.

In any case, that was in response to your comment about an amp being required to get "decent" sound. I feel that the ER-4S is capable of getting more than decent sound without an amp, and the absence of hiss with an iPod and ER-4S is a huge plus for me. The ER-4S sounded only marginally better with an investment of about $500 (Hornet + ALO Cryo Micro LOD).

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 20
As I said, '...the listener's preference/ability to detect play a role too'. What I consider to be decent might not be what you think it is. I didn't list 'Team Subjective-fi' in my signature for nothing
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #12 of 20
The ER4 aren't tonally accurate at all. The Triple.fi or Shure E500 are much more natural sounding.

Apr 11, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by syed786 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone know where can i get er4p cheaper or is the altec lansing im716 equal to the of er4p or er4s what is the accuracy on the altec lansing im716 in HD MODE
does anyone knows

buy.com has the ER4p for $170 w/shipping currently

Apr 11, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER4 aren't tonally accurate at all. The Triple.fi or Shure E500 are much more natural sounding.

Tony...interesting point about ER4. Please elaborate. Are they still your favorite universal after TFP and SE530's? Only using Puresound Cable? What about stock Ety cable?

One thing I notice about Etys, and perhaps this is because I listen un-amped. When the music is somewhat slow with only a few instruments the bass really comes through nicely but during loud or busy passages, the bass takes a backseat. Like the single driver can't handle duplicating everything so it kind of gets blended into a wall. I am not saying it sounds bad by any means...I am being very picky here. But I do notice it. I think another poster mentioned this a while back and I wonder if anyone else does.

Apr 11, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tony...interesting point about ER4. Please elaborate. Are they still your favorite universal after TFP and SE530's? Only using Puresound Cable? What about stock Ety cable?

One thing I notice about Etys, and perhaps this is because I listen un-amped. When the music is somewhat slow with only a few instruments the bass really comes through nicely but during loud or busy passages, the bass takes a backseat. Like the single driver can't handle duplicating everything so it kind of gets blended into a wall. I am not saying it sounds bad by any means...I am being very picky here. But I do notice it. I think another poster mentioned this a while back and I wonder if anyone else does.

I think this is a drawback of single armature IEMs as this the same thing I experienced with the Westone UM1. It might be picky but to me it ended up being one thing that constantly nagged me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back