I want an Ibasso DX50. Am I the only one?
Jan 19, 2012 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Sorensiim

Headphoneus Supremus
This morning, the Ibasso DX100 was finally announced along with its final spec sheet. I was very excited about Ibasso making a "statement DAP" running Android, but logically, running a top-of-the-line desktop DAC chip and a very powerful amp along with a large touch screen means the battery life is quite poor, compared to the DAPs from Apple, Cowon, Teclast etc. I exchanged a few emails with Ibasso customer service this morning and they promised me that they would seriously consider building the "DX50" as I called it. It would be the little brother to the DX100 and geared towards IEM users. This way, we can cut back on the amp section and use a more power-efficient DAC. I'm sure the Sabre DAC in the DX100 sounds awesome, but for use on the move I would personally have a hard time telling one (good) DAC from another. Here's the DAP design I proposed to Ibasso:

1. 24/192 playback
  2. DAC optimized for low power usage, not a statement desktop DAC chip.
  3. 3.5mm (1/8") Headphone out with the amp section optimized for IEM use, line out for use with a more powerful amp when necessary.
  4. Super low output impedance, >0.3 ohm, for use with multi-driver IEMs
  5. Screen and OS like the DX100 (Android 2.3 w. custom software on top)
  6. Support a wide range of file formats; FLAC, Alac, Wav, Mp3, Ogg etc.
  7. 32gb of onboard storage (64gb if not too expensive) and MicroSD support.
  8. Real-world battery life of at least 10 hours of FLAC playback.
  9. Wifi for music streaming
  10. Standard micro USB for file transfer and charging. 
  11. $400 to $500 price tag

Meet or exceed the above list of specs and I would buy it in a heartbeat. Am I the only one? 

Edited for clarification: I don't think the (imaginary) DX50 should be a no-compromise statement DAP like the DX100. What I'm looking for is a great bang-for-buck DAP, a one-box solution to take on the iTouch/CLAS or HP-1 sandwiched rigs out there. Given their track record with portable amps and dacs punching well above their price bracket, I believe Ibasso to be just the right company to make such a device. 

Added: Ibasso's reply to my suggestions:

Hi,again,
Your suggestions are appreciated.
We will close operation for holiday after today. But we will seriouly think about the DX50 after we back.

Best Regards,
cleardot.gif

iBasso Audio

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 29
and somebody will then claim that he wants a dx30
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 29
I suppose that because it's high end, it should be 24/96 capable but not that important for what I'd want it for so as long as it did 16/48 and sounded great, I'd be OK. That's personal but res capability above standard def is probably not the weak link in a $4-500 player. Yes, I'd like it to happen. I'd want it much more compact for use with IEMs and perhaps just strong enough to drive an Ety 4s. Don't care about WiFi and I find 192 is just specsmanship and offers not true advantage to 24/96. If things sound better at 24/192, it's probably because your DAC isn't doing the 24/96 justice.

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 29
Why not, after all Sony first released the PCM-D1, then the PCM-D50 & even later the PCM-M10!

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #5 of 29

Quote:
I suppose that because it's high end, it should be 24/96 capable but not that important for what I'd want it for so as long as it did 16/48 and sounded great, I'd be OK. That's personal but res capability above standard def is probably not the weak link in a $4-500 player. Yes, I'd like it to happen. I'd want it much more compact for use with IEMs and perhaps just strong enough to drive an Ety 4s. Don't care about WiFi and I find 192 is just specsmanship and offers not true advantage to 24/96. If things sound better at 24/192, it's probably because your DAC isn't doing the 24/96 justice.

I'd load it up with 24/96 anyways, 24/192 takes up STUPID amounts of space. But while we're at it, why not go for 24/192?

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 29

Quote:
I'd load it up with 24/96 anyways, 24/192 takes up STUPID amounts of space. But while we're at it, why not go for 24/192?

24/96 takes up stupid amounts of space too!

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #7 of 29
I'd buy a DX50 but only if the battery life was 10hrs+ and the form factor was smaller.

Incidentally, if iBasso do release a DX50 as a result of Sorensiim contacting them, then he should receive the first one free for doing their market research. 

L3000.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #9 of 29
Have you seen a new battery from Motorola company? They used it in a new Razr, and it provides both smaller size and larger capacity.
Analysts tell that in 2012 new batteries with extended lifetime will be released, so it's quite possible to find them in future DAC's.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #10 of 29
The good Wolfsen DACs are high voltage too. I suggest buying an iPod. They are cheap which seems to be your primary spec beyond fancy file capability which makes no sense in a compromised machine with limited storage. An IEM DX50 might be a good idea but this DAP isn't it. IEMs require a high quality DAC and 64 gb onboard storage just as much as full-size cans. 

I won't vote because I don't think that you are the right guy to write the specs on this. No offence intended but I am serious and I hope that iBasso is listening.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #11 of 29

Quote:
The good Wolfsen DACs are high voltage too. I suggest buying an iPod. They are cheap which seems to be your primary spec beyond fancy file capability which makes no sense in a compromised machine with limited storage. An IEM DX50 might be a good idea but this DAP isn't it. IEMs require a high quality DAC and 64 gb onboard storage just as much as full-size cans. 

I won't vote because I don't think that you are the right guy to write the specs on this. No offence intended but I am serious and I hope that iBasso is listening.

Please add more details about what you think the DX50 needs. They are listening...

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #12 of 29

Quote:
24/96 takes up stupid amounts of space too!

It sure does - but I can actually HEAR the difference from 16/44.1 to 24/96, something I haven't yet been able to (reliably) do with 24/192. And before the usual discussion ensues - please take your opinions on the audible differences from 16/44.1 to 32/384 to the sound science forum.

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #13 of 29
I want:

1. around USD $300
  2. portable, meaning iPhone size and decent battery life (>6 hrs).
  3. portable dac/amp function (like Fiio E17), accepts inputs of coaxial, optical and usb.
  4. wifi and Android, meaning MOG / Spotify / internet radio capable, which enables me to access lots music from online
  1. FLAC, Wav, Mp3,
  2. SD or MicroSD support
  3. low output impedance will be nice

Samsung Galaxy S I actually meet most of my requirements, except that it can not function as a portable dac. But hey, the Galaxy has phone and camera function. If I am going to carry one extra thing in my pocket, it has to provide more features.  I will glad skip Fiio E17, if DX50 does all the above.

Sound quality wise, I do not think the portable environment deserves high dollar investment. I have owned a HM-801 before but did not use it much, due to its lack of portability and lack of wifi; at home I have full size gear than performs better for cheaper. 

Sure the Hifiman HM-801 sounds very close to full size gear and better than my iPhone 3GS, but again, in a portable environment, portability and features (wifi, 320kbps MOG music accessibility) are my priority.

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #15 of 29

My opinion: at the moment, the release of another DAP makes no sense for the iBasso.

To develop the DX100, was spending a considerable amount of money that needs to be recovered. And why this company will built a competitor DAP within your own home? Not to mention the money to develop another DAP.

For me, the competitor of the DX100 will come from another company. Which company should be the right question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back