I traded my grandma's vintage setup...
Aug 27, 2011 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JamesMcProgger

Headphoneus Supremus
My grandma has always had, since my memory serves me well, an old audio set up at her house, she only listens to radio stations (not even vinyls because it has no needle) so I asked her If she would trade it for a new one, a modern one. and tonight she said yes! so tomorrow early morning I'd be heading to the electronic store for some CD/MP3/Tuner/deck all-in-one audio system with two big speakers and that's it.

this is the set up:

Sansui TU 517 radio tuner
Pioneer PL5 turntable
Pioneer SA 6500 II Amplifier
Pioneer  CT F650
and some very beat up sony speakers. SS 460

the deck looks beat up and not fully working, and the turntable moves OK but its missing the needle. everything neew some work on cables but that wont be a problem. I do need help with the needle.

here some picts from the web, will have my own picts tomorrow:

DSC02708.jpg

s_MLC_v_O_f_35533730_9136.jpg

Am I robbing my own grandma or what? 
redface.gif

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 8
some picts:

a little bit of extra dust inside the SA 6500 II, this was for free.

back panel's connections are OK, but powercords are all ripped off or broken. nothing I cant fix. would need to buy a crapload of RCA plugs and a cartridge, just have to check out which one would fit. input is welcome.

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 8
Nice haul!

As for cleaning, I go through old stuff first with a cut-down brush. Get a 30¢ cheapie at the hardware store and use scissors to cut it down so it's fairly stiff. That will loosen the caked-on dust and get into smaller spaces. Then blow it out with compressed air. It should look great after.

You might want to drop new electrolytics into the power supply. They go bad eventually and new ones are cheap.

Head to the Needledoctor to find a cart. I like the Grado Black and Shure MX97E. Also, set up the turntable correctly. Use a level, get it aligned correctly and make sure the tracking and anti-skate are correct. Alignment is a pain, but keep at it.

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Nice units, make sure you go outside when you clean up the dust. And stay upwind!

lol, probably a mask too.

@Uncle Erick: gonna look for for matching electrolytic capacitor, never changed or seen one tho, I'm a total new at turntables. would any  needle fit? the grado black is 60$ at amazon, nice price. would the green or blue models make any noticeable difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back