I thought I had my mind made up...
Feb 5, 2008 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tf1216

500+ Head-Fier
...but now I am thinking I am on my way back to square one. I wanted to find a good price for me to pick up either AKG 701s or Sennheiser 580s.

Because I work in a room filled with cubicles I am worried the sound radiating from the headphones would be heard by others. I have never owned a nice pair of headphones to know if my thinking is flawed.

My cubemate sits about 6 to 8 feet from me and another guy sits about 3 feet away with a cubicle in between us. I intend to power the headphones with a nice amp. Should I stick with closed headphones?

It seems Denon D5000 are near the top of the heap. Any thoughts from the members here?

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 3
The D5000's are truely great headphones and arguably a better choice than the other two you are considering, especially if you mod them a little to tame the bass. There are several Headfiers who have done this and share their procedures on various posts here - just do a search. From what I've heard, the D5000s isolate fairly well, but still leak some sound. However, they sound better than most headphones at low volume levels, so if you are satisfied with lower listening levels, there will be less sound to leak out. What makes the D5000's so special is their natural midrange and ability to communicate the music with a sense of ease.

A good pair of custom iems will provide the best isolation. Good luck on your decision.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 3
Don't worry too much about leakage. Unless you really crank it, they won't notice. Most people will tune out and ignore a very low sound, just like how they don't notice a copier or cars outside.

I haven't heard the Denons, but I have heard and recommend both the HD-580 and K-701. The K-701 is fussier with amps, and the HD-580 refurbs are a pretty good deal from Sennheiser USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back