I think I've Found THE Perfect All-Arounder Setup
Apr 16, 2007 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

penguindude

1000+ Head-Fier
And yes, i mean THE perfect setup for practically ALL of my music listening types.

The magic combo: Audigy2 ZS Notebook -(optical)--> Beresford TC-7510 MKIII DAC ---> Corda Headfive ---> Sennheiser HD595

Classical: Incredibly HUGE soundstage. Great bass, fantastic mid-range, and non-piercing but crystal highs. I was shocked at how accurate the percussions sounded.

Vocal: Simply an extremely pleasant balance of upper and lower mid-range. Again, huge soundstage and warm but accurate depiction of vocals.

Bass-emphasized Genre (Movies, Hip Hop, etc): Neither overpowering nor underwhelming. Bass notes hits fast and deep; in another word, clean. Unlike the HD580 where you will notice the bass once the music starts playing, the bass notes in this setup with the 595 will not appear until a bass note kicks in, and then it was pure
basshead.gif

Sound Signature: A hybrid between a Grado forward sound and the traditional laid-back Sennheiser sound. The setup took the advantage of the stock HD595 and greatly improved its extensions; adding width to the already deep soundstage that the HD595 offers.

Jazz, hip hop, classical, vocals, pop, soft rock, and movies ALL sounded fantastic in this setup. The only music i have not tested the setup with is Electronic, cause i don't listen to it.
biggrin.gif

I highly recommend this setup to anyone looking for a solid all-arounder audio experience under $500.

I think I have finally found my gold!!!

Penguindude reporting in at 3AM.
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And yes, i mean THE perfect setup for practically ALL of my music listening types.

Does this mean you will not be spending any more money on head-fi?? Ha ha- I already know this answer...
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 19
Well, the 595s are the most versatile headphones around, at least in my opinion, so the amp and sound card can only improve the sound quality, not the genre's the Senn's excel at.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the 595s are the most versatile headphones around, at least in my opinion, so the amp and sound card can only improve the sound quality, not the genre's the Senn's excel at.

ACtually, amps can sometimes dramatically change the sound of a headphone. Tube amps for example, can greatly improve a can's bass. Another example would the result of plugging the K501 into an extremely powerful, warm amp, you will be amazed at how the sound changes.

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 19
For about the same money, a Transit would provide bit-perfect optical out as oppose to the 48khz resampled Creative card.

Stop being content and spend some money! :
evil_smiley.gif
:

By the way, do you prefer the Beresford to the LDII++?

Apr 16, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For about the same money, a Transit would provide bit-perfect optical out as oppose to the 48khz resampled Creative card.

Stop being content and spend some money! :
evil_smiley.gif
:

By the way, do you prefer the Beresford to the LDII++?

I enabled Bit Accurate, so there's no resampling done.

The bereseford is a DAC and the LD2++ is an amp, so i can't really compare.
wink.gif

But comparing the ld2++ to the Headfive, I'd say the ld2++ offers much more liquid-like mids and tighter and larger bass. However, the sound signature does get a bit too warm sometimes for certain songs, and therefore is less superior as an all-arounder setup to the Headfive.

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

I enabled Bit Accurate, so there's no resampling done. The bereseford is a DAC and the LD2++ is an amp, so i can't really compare.
wink.gif

Oops.
smily_headphones1.gif
I actually had the Audigy card before switching to the Transit, didn't know about the Bit Accurate feature, though. Can you adjust volume with the master volume slide in windows? I found that I could use the master slide to adjust volume with the Audigy but not with the Transit, I figured that was a sign that what I was not getting bit perfect output...

Quote:

But comparing the ld2++ to the Headfive, I'd say the ld2++ offers much more liquid-like mids and tighter and larger bass. However, the sound signature does get a bit too warm sometimes for certain songs, and therefore is less superior as an all-arounder setup to the Headfive.

That's interesting.
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

ACtually, amps can sometimes dramatically change the sound of a headphone. Tube amps for example, can greatly improve a can's bass. Another example would the result of plugging the K501 into an extremely powerful, warm amp, you will be amazed at how the sound changes.

Within reason, though. For example, no amount of amplification is going to make the Sennheiser 650's perfect for rock, just like the RS-1's will never be a classical can. And not to be nit-picky, but a tube amp may add warmth and bass volume, but solid state amps have much more bass slam and bass definition, at least in my opinion.

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops.
smily_headphones1.gif
I actually had the Audigy card before switching to the Transit, didn't know about the Bit Accurate feature, though. Can you adjust volume with the master volume slide in windows? I found that I could use the master slide to adjust volume with the Audigy but not with the Transit, I figured that was a sign that what I was not getting bit perfect output...

That's interesting.
biggrin.gif

Yep, without Bit Accurate enabled, I can control the master volume through the computer. However, with BA enabled, it doesn't work.
eggosmile.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Within reason, though. For example, no amount of amplification is going to make the Sennheiser 650's perfect for rock, just like the RS-1's will never be a classical can. And not to be nit-picky, but a tube amp may add warmth and bass volume, but solid state amps have much more bass slam and bass definition, at least in my opinion.

Not all tube amps. The LD2++ can definitely sound like a SS amp with the correct tubes.
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Not all tube amps. The LD2++ can definitely sound like a SS amp with the correct tubes.
wink.gif

why would you want it to sound like a SS? why wouldn't you just buy a SS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back