I smell disaster
Aug 8, 2001 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 27
I hope dataplay dies - i really do. the only good application I can think of is in MP3 players...

And they want to replace the CD - which isn't close to perfect - with compressed crap!?

Ya.....right
wink.gif

SACD WILL PREVAIL.....and then SACD compatible soundcards pop up, and then, there's MP3 v.2.0!

Aug 8, 2001 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 27
I first read about Dataplay approximately 1.5 to two years ago on the Minidisc Community Page (www.minidisc.org). It was supposed to hit the markets half a year later. And now we're still wondering what this little thing is! So I don't think there's anything to worry about.

It would have been an interesting little thing 2-3 years ago, but not now.

Aug 8, 2001 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 27
Its like MD all over again....

except this format is worse in every way

industry-index-disc-cluster.jpg

hehe, look at the disks, one of them is entitled "music downloads"
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2001 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 27
oh, and check out this quote from the talkback section...

Quote:

They better keep making CD's, I just bought a new CD player for my car about 6 mouths ago and it cost me over 300 dollars, it would be just wrong to stop making CD based music without at least 3-5 year changeover period. Everyone ought to call there reps in congress and see if they will pass a bill to force them to make CD's and the new disks for a period of time, so people with new players won't get stuck with a machine that cannot anything new. If they try to phase in something to fast they're probably gonna end up with some class action lawsuits from people with expensive and useless systems.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Aug 8, 2001 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 27
thomas - so this guy is one of those "new technology" buffs?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2001 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 27
The quote Thomas posted aside, at least these "talkbacks" are overall a lot more constructive than the really stupid ones that were in response to the Wave Radio article.

One guy made a good point. What is the point of having an 11 hour playback time? Are they going to sell us discs with 11 hours of music on them? NO! And the whole point of this medium is that we won't be able to rip our own compilations, so what's the point? Not to mention that it's compressed to begin with.

Everything would be so much better if the record companies stopped spending soo much damned money (and passying the costs off to consumers in the form of CD prices) trying to protect their digital media, which is something that will never succeed, and instead just lowered their prices on CDs. Then people, instead of spending time and energy trying to get around their half-brained attempts to prevent us from copying their music, would jsut buy the CDs isn't that the original intention anyway?

I like the quote that says "This whole music piracy problem isn't going to go away until the CD dies," said Talal Shamoon" Well, why don't we just get rid of music, that would certainly stop the problem now wouldn't it
smily_headphones1.gif

...End of rant

Aug 12, 2001 at 6:34 AM Post #13 of 27
The most funny, or depressing, factoid about this whole debate is that while Napster was at its height, the only formats that suffered losses in sales were singles (duh) and LP's (double duh). The record companies sales are going up steadily. Someone should do a study on how Napster may have actually jump started sales. It did for me.

The second most funny, or depressing, fact is that the record companies could save billions in legal fees by just realizing that there's no consumer product with a digital basis that won't be cracked. Unless it's part of the actual hardware (the actual disc, that is), it's going to be cracked if it's worth cracking.

Aug 12, 2001 at 1:40 PM Post #14 of 27
I agree with huy_ha. Not only are the record companies having better sales, they are jacking prices, too! Why? Well, I don't know, but I'm sure the millions upon millions of dollars WASTED on consumer hate, er, um, "piracy prevention." is reflected in the cost.

Aug 12, 2001 at 2:20 PM Post #15 of 27
Yes, I've definitely noticed that I've started buying fewer CDs. For some reason, the low-bitrate musical samples on CDNow are just not enough for me.

Then again, I've stopped listening to modern rock music and techno. Perhaps the collection of jazz (and classical) MP3s on Napster was far lower. Still, Napster was what allowed me to try new music before buying it; because I felt bad about listening over and over to MP3s that I didn't buy, I bought the CDs of music that I enjoyed.

But still, whether or not MP3s increase sales is irrelevant. MP3-distribution of copyrighted material without the express consent of the owner of that material -- the labels, not the artists, usually -- is still an illegal practice and concept. In fact, we've run into this issue several times before.

Before Metallica's rampage against MP3s, Led Zeppelin was very much against the idea of cassette tapes which could be used to copy and distribute their music. Reasonable? I'm not sure -- it seems very ridiculous to me, probably because by the time I was growing up, this practice was extremely widespread. But I believe this is why we have taxed blank media.

Then there's the issue of rented CDs. In Japan, you can go down to a video rental store, if I'm not mistaken, and pick up a CD for $1-2. People take these CDs home, get out their MiniDisc recorders, and just copy entire CDs onto MD. This is one reason MiniDisc is so much more popular in Asia than it is here. But anyway, the reason that the Japanese got into this state of affairs is that their equivalent of the RIAA is very weak, and can never get what it wants. Of course, the idea of renting CDs seems silly in America, but that's because our recording-industry lobby is so powerful.

But overall, I think that I haven't felt the loss of Napster so much. Most of us here consider ourselves "audiophiles" of some degree. Listening to our CD players free from most of the EMI/RFI of computer-innards is ideal (especially if you've got a computer as loud as mine). Also, just like it's often possible to buy the right audio equipment online based solely on the reviews given by fellow Head-Fidels or professional reviewers, buying music can be guided by other members more-experienced in the genre. Sure, it's tougher to experiment and discover music for yourself, but hopefully you still have some friends that live near you! And there's always the public library -- mine has quite a decent collection of classical music, in fact (despite having a poor collection of books
biggrin.gif
).

So how is DataPlay going to affect us? I seriously doubt the recording industry would back such a ridiculously useless invention -- I agree with everything grr said about it. It would only be viable as a hardware complement to pay-for-a-pop MP3 downloads which would avoid writing any information to the hard disk, but only to the DataPlay disc itself. This could very much reduce copying. But nobody would ever buy these, since MP3 files are still easy to obtain, and they can be used along with MP3s ripped from one's own CD collection in an MP3 player (or CDP). So again, I think DataPlay is already doomed, and has no more chance of surviving than the Dodo bird of flying again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back