I should have listened to you guys. Help me...again.
Jul 29, 2004 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

elvergun

Headphoneus Supremus
A couple of days ago I wrote about the fact that my new A500s did not work out for dog chasing duties. I mentioned in that post that I had tried a pair of V700 that I thought I liked. Well, against all your warnings, I went ahead and purchased the Sony phones…and I think I am now suffering from a slight case of hearing loss.

Damn, those things (as some of you mentioned) are bass heavy. They are not just bass boomy…they are more like exploding-canons-in-your-ears boomy. They are nicely bright when the bass does not get too heavy (and that does not happen often). The V700s are back at the store from which they came.

Ok, I’m back to square one again. I might keep the A500s for listening at work. I still need a pair of headphones for home use (and chasing the dog).

My requirements:

Open or Close
Circumaural (so I can wear them comfortably for hours at a time)
LIGHT (so they don’t fall off from running around, but they need not be portable) Not heavier than 9 oz.
Low Impedance (so they can be easily driven by an iPod)
I would like them to be somewhat bright (nice highs and mids) and low on the boomy bass (the A500s are close to being too bass heavy for my tastes).
Must cost $150 or less.
Something that makes Jazz shine…but that can also be used for Acid Jazz, Chill, Electronic, Classical and Techno.

My short list:

Beyerdynamic DT 250-80
AKG K 401
Sennheiser HD 515 (Is this model too hard too drive by the iPod?)

I’ve discarded the following:
Sennheiser HD 497 (I want something a little more refined. I read about comfort issues)
Sennheiser HD 25 (Not circumaural)
Beyerdynamic DT 231 (Same as the 497, I want something a little more refined.)
Grado SR60 (Not really discarded…I’m planning to get a pair of these just to see what the fuss is all about)

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 20
First, don't expose yourself to loud noises for a while. Let your ears try and recover. Get a strong anti-oxidant from a health shop - might help, might not.

You seem to be looking at full sized cans for portable use. Instead look at having just some cheapies. Koss PortaPro or something. You have good sounds at home so don't worry about it while you're on the move. Canal phones would do the job even better (but don't turn them up too loud).

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
You seem to be looking at full sized cans for portable use. Instead look at having just some cheapies. Koss PortaPro or something. You have good sounds at home so don't worry about it while you're on the move. Canal phones would do the job even better (but don't turn them up too loud).

For portable use (walking the dog, doing stuff around town), I do have a pair of PortaPros…and I also have some PX200s. I love the sound of the PX200s, but they are lacking in bass and they get a little uncomfortable after extended use. I need something for home/yard use. Something comfortable that sounds better than the PX200s.

Jul 30, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 20
I do find myself saying 'hey, these V700's aren't bad at all' sometimes when portable... and then looking down at the EQ setting and noticing I have it set to Bass Reduction.

Portapros = on the basis of a very short listen, they struck me as a rougher V700.
DT250-80 = low on highs. Inoffensive enough, except for midrange that sometimes bites when you're least expecting it. Comfy.

How about the Sony Eggos? Bass-light (well, not that much but lighter than many), circumaural (just), lightweight, portable, low impedance. I don't remember trying them with an iPod... I feel I must have, but I can't remember anything of it. However joelongwood and others have reported good results with the iPod I believe. You can get them from AudioCubes or Bluetin, so I'm afraid no return if you don't like them. Given what you said though, I think you might... although I'm not wholly sure if the Eggos are 'more refined' than the DT231. Short cord means you'll need the extension cord (bundled) if you wear the iPod on a belt clip. No such need if you employ the remote. I'm sure if you search for D66 Eggo, you'll get tons of hits on this site.

Jul 30, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Senn 280's wouldn't fall off you head - they clamp pretty tight.

True. I thought about those...but they are heavy. The 280s are as heavy as the A500s and the V700s. After using those phones, one of the things I now look for is lightness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I'm sure if you search for D66 Eggo, you'll get tons of hits on this site.

Ok…I’ll do a search…but I’m not so sure about the not being able to return them part. They are not expensive…but damn, how many headphones will I end up with after this search for a good set of phones.

So, how about the cans in my short list? I thought they would meet my requirements.

Jul 30, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 20
280s aren't too heavy for full sized cans - similar to the 250-80s.

Let me say this, respectfully, I think you're nuts and looking to waste your money. You don't need top notch sound quality when you're walking the dog. Plus if they're open like the 515s you'll get external noise. If they're closed you'll hear your steps or the cable banging against yourself.

Senn 515s are too big, and the Beyers are same size as the Senn 280s. Just use your portapros, or if you really want good quality get some Ety 4/6s. Sharp MD33s if you want cheaper ones.

Jul 30, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by md01
Short of canal phones: low end ety or shure, I can't even think of anything that would work for dog chasing. You already have portas and px200.

I’m thinking that the DT250-80s or the K401s might work. The are not too heavy (about 8.5 oz) and the iPod (and my CD player) should be able to drive them adequately. I wonder if they sit tightly on your head...and I wonder how good they sound.

Jul 30, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

280s aren't too heavy for full sized cans - similar to the 250-80s.

Let me say this, respectfully, I think you're nuts and looking to waste your money. You don't need top notch sound quality when you're walking the dog. Plus if they're open like the 515s you'll get external noise. If they're closed you'll hear your steps or the cable banging against yourself.

Senn 515s are too big, and the Beyers are same size as the Senn 280s. Just use your portapros, or if you really want good quality get some Ety 4/6s. Sharp MD33s if you want cheaper ones.

He he...you got that right...I am nuts.

I don't need these phones for walking the dog. I need them for when I am in the yard (most of the afternoon after work) and just to have a good set of cans for home use. While in the yard I’m mostly sitting down under the shade of a tree drinking beer (or smoking…err, cigarettes)….but every now and then I get up to pick up dog shiet (as the need arises), go inside the house for my next beer (or to get, err, another cigarette), or play fetch with the dog. I would like to have better sound while I engage in these low impact activities. The PX 200s just don’t cut it (and they can become uncomfortable after a while).

I thought the 280s where about 10 oz. That’s almost as heavy as the A500 and the V700s (both about 10.5 oz.)

Jul 30, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 20
Ok, that's a little different. You're right, A500s aren't suitable for that.

What I would recommend is closed cans (probably) that aren't going to fall off your head if you move around a bit. Beyers would be fine for that, and the Senns (their weight seems fine to me), and maybe even the 5x5 series (they're open though) - but I don't know how well they'd stay on (because i've never tried them). I'd not bother with the 515s myself, but then again I usually just to straight to the top of the range...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 20
Hmm, if you're just staying in the yard.. I'd recommend open cans. From my experiences with dogs and horses, anything that can happen will happen, and if you're out there anyway, it would be a shame you didn't hear something you should have just because you had on etys or Senn 280's. I like to have an open line of communication between me and the animal, and the animal looses that if you wear closed headphones. That's just IMO, but from lots of experience.

So having qualified all that, I'd recommend the ms-1's, perhaps the Senn 5x5 series is worth an audition although I've never heard them, or the d66 eggos. They're only closed in the most technical sense of the word.

Jul 30, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 20
MS-1s - my dog walks are 30 min so they are perfect. and i've jogged with em too.

Jul 30, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #14 of 20
elvergun,

You can eliminate the AKG K401's from consideration - not because of sound quality, but because they will be seriously underpowered from even your iHP portable player. They require a rather huge amp just to get much in the way of sound from them.

Jul 30, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
elvergun,

You can eliminate the AKG K401's from consideration - not because of sound quality, but because they will be seriously underpowered from even your iHP portable player. They require a rather huge amp just to get much in the way of sound from them.

Thanks for the info...I was leaning towards that model. How about the K240S?

Ok, so I guess my short list is now:

Beyerdynamic DT 250-80
Sony MDR-D66SL Eggo (Light, not boomy, circumaural)

Does anyone have anything to say about the DT 250-80s?

How about the Eggos? I get the impression that they are somewhat gimmicky. Impressions?

I’m intrigued with the MS-1s, but I want a set of circumaural cans…maybe one of these days…

I curse the day I found this site.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back