I saw Xavier Rudd last night in Ottawa
Nov 19, 2006 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Squeek

Headphoneus Supremus
What a great show!

It was a very small venue, at the Bronson Centre in Ottawa (it used to be a catholic high school). If I were to guess, I'd say around 500 people. The energy there was amazing. About half way through "Let Me Be" about 75 people made their way to the front of the stage to dance, and Xavier asked as many as could fit to come up on stage. He played for almost 2 hours before going off stage with one of the best finales I've seen with a very extended "To Let". After much cheering, he came back and played a 5 song encore, including two new songs that have yet to be heard so far as I am aware. He also played "Jack" which I was very very happy about.

He said he could have played all night but stopped because of a noise curfew, and I actually believe he would have stayed up there for a lot longer if he could. He really seemed to be digging the crowd and enjoying himself.

His opening act was a Torontonian name Justin Nozuka. A very talented young man. I purchased his CD at the concert and I am very impressed with both the content and the quality of the recording. I look forward to hearing more from him. Check out his myspace here http://www.myspace.com/justinnozuka He is similar to Amos Lee, as a very soulful, almost R&B singer/songwriter.

To open the show he had a Mohawk chief give the equivalent of a blessing, and welcomed everyone to the land. It was very touching. He also had an Austalian aboriginal man with him. A hulking, bearded didgeridoo player who hand carved boomerangs that were also for sale.

I had an excellent time, and I hope other Ottawans got the opportunity to go. If he comes to your town, by all means, make an effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back