I ordered 4 DT770s and got 4 Sony MDR-NC500D headphones
Oct 14, 2010 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Ultrainferno

Member of the Trade: Headfonia
Hello everyone

I need to buy 4 new headphones for my team at work but they have to isolate really well.
The company wanted to buy noise cancelling headphones but luckily I talked them out of that and now I can choose
smile.gif

I know how the M50s isolate but I don't have any experience with other closed headphones.
They have to be low impedance and will be connected to an on board standard Dell soundcard.

Any other suggestions? AKG 242? 272? Sennheisers?

Of course I want the best soundquality possible...Budget per headphone is 240€ without taxes
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your input

Oct 14, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 20
If isolation is what you're going for, the dt770s are a great option, the sennheiser hd280s are also one of my favorite headphones to use because they leak almost no sound and cancel out outside sounds nicely.

Both of these isolate better than the ath m50s, but in order of comfort: dt770s > m50s > 280s, with the m50s sounding the best

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 20
I have both the HD-280 Pros and M50s and I vastly prefer the M50s for music listening as their warmer and more bass driven sound signature is more desirable for the type of music that I listen to. In terms of isolation, the 280s are top notch though and compare handily with the best isolating IEMs in my collection. That said, the M50s are also pretty good in terms of isolation but they don't measure up to the 280s in that regard. Overall, I'd pick the M50s over the 280s any day.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 20
[rant mode on]

So I asked my company to order the DT770s last week.

Turns out some helpdesk noob didn't know/like them and they ordered noisecancelling headphones costing almost wice as much because noise cancelling is so much better.
Ah, I'm so mad!
angry_face.gif

And the bad thing is you can't even turn that NC thing off! This one is going in the cupboard and is never coming out.
I'm taking my own M50s to work
normal_smile .gif

Too bad for my team tho, they'll have to do with them.

[/rant mode off]

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 20
Sorry to hear that...
Yeah, sometimes companies (like mine) make some decisions in a vacuum and it it's just infuriating.

I would have voted for the M50's though. They can be folded and put in the bag and into a drawer. The DT770 can not. They are also easier to drive. Also, my gut tells me that the M50 sound would be more appealing to the greater public than the DT770 (which I've owned both in 250 and 600 Ohm).

shane

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 20
You should bring the M50's in, tell them to compare the two. Take a tally of which one they like better, return the Sony's and bring the AT's in. I really hated those particular headphones, a coworker of mine had them and they were a cheaper version of a Bose  (Which are not good anyways)

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #13 of 20
I don't know if you are the same way as me but once I hear something that sounds better I can't stand listening to lower quality headphone, it's like something is missing

Quote:
I'll do that for sure. On the other hand: a free headphone is a good headphone, right? :wink:

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
I don't know if you are the same way as me but once I hear something that sounds better I can't stand listening to lower quality headphone, it's like something is missing

(( pssssst.... he was kidding. ))  I hope.

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #15 of 20
Unless you want your co-workers to hate you for getting them a headphone that literally feels like someone wants to crush their skull, I'd definitely NOT choose the HD280s. Hell no.

edit: Moot point now, but yeah... XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back