I no longer recommend 1/4" TS adaptors for emu 1212m / 1820 / 1820m
Jan 7, 2005 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lan

Videographus Supremus:Makes audio cables using super-advanced materials, like "some clear tape" and "some not so clear tape."
So I made two nearly identical cables today one with 1/4" TRS to RCA and another 1/4" TS to RCA. The one using 1/4" TRS sounded better. Somehow leaving the negative portion of the balanced signal unconnected made all the difference. You can't do this with those adaptors since the adaptors are TS (mono) so I no longer recommend using them for best sound quality.

Jan 8, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 11
Hi Ian, that's interesting to hear! I'll try it myself.

Can you please confirm you were still using the consumer -10 output level?

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm using +4 for all my sessions.

Jan 8, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 11
TRS = tip ring sleeve
TS = tip sleeve

TRS having 3 conductors can transfer stereo or balanced mono. TS having 2 conductors carries mono.

Jan 8, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 11
This is very interesting, but I'm still slightly confused. Is there any way you can explain this in layman's terms for me? I'd be grateful.
600smile.gif

Edit: How can I tell if I have TRS or TS in my system?

Jan 8, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
So I made two nearly identical cables today one with 1/4" TRS to RCA and another 1/4" TS to RCA. The one using 1/4" TRS sounded better. Somehow leaving the negative portion of the balanced signal unconnected made all the difference. You can't do this with those adaptors since the adaptors are TS (mono) so I no longer recommend using them for best sound quality.

Does that apply to 0404 as well?

Jan 8, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 11
Take a look at this image to see TS plug on the top and TRS plug on the bottom.

0404 doesn't use balanced outputs so it doesn't apply.

chia-pet, RCA has two conductors (+ and ground). Most people's amps use RCA so you have to use 1/4 to RCA adaptor or cable on the emu soundcards. The 1/4" output of 1212/1820 has three conductors since they're balanced. If you use a TS connector the negative signal flows to ground since they are touching via the TS plug. I'm saying to leave the - alone unconnected and just connect + and ground to their equivalents on the RCA and to do this you'll need a TRS plug. There is no such thing as TRS to RCA adaptor I believe so a custom cable will have to be made. Makes sense? You aren't going to use the - signal so just leave it there. Somehow using TS and sending it into the ground messes up the signal somehow.

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:23 AM Post #10 of 11
Ahhh +4 hey!

When I switch the analog Inputs in my session between -10 and +4 I can hear a relay click on the card, I assume it's disconnecting the -ve line of the balanced configuration for -10. Can't hear any relay for the output though.

If you are running unbalanced with the +4 setting I can see how this could make an improvement, as you are not shorting out the -ve side of the output chip with the connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back