I need some help with deciding on Hifiman RE-400 vs. Shure SE215 vs. Vsonic GR07
Jun 26, 2016 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

aoisoraa

New Head-Fier
I'm interested in the RE-400 for the soundstage and neutral sound tuning but am terrified of the poor build quality. The reason I'm getting new IEM's are because my Tenores broke.

How does the GR07 compare to the RE-400 in sound and build quality?

I was also considering the SE215 but it apparently has no soundstage to it but the build is top notch if you exclude the connectors.

I have owned the Zero Audio Carbon Tenore, Havi B3 Pro 1, SoundMagic ES18, and Nixon Wire in-ear before.

Thanks.

Jun 26, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 19
GR07 is very good in my opinion but quite different from the RE400. GR07 has more bass and treble and can be fairly sibilant at times (but its not a problem for most well-recorded material) while the RE400 is much more mid-focused with a much tamer treble. The build quality on the GR07 does seem a little better and they haven't broke one me yet but i use them way less often than the re400s. My first pair of 400's started losing the right channel after about 2 years of constant use. I was always careful with them and never subjected them to any abuse but they still died 
frown.gif
 I bought another pair anyways cuz they were they were that good to me while they lasted though. 

If build quality is your main concern I would probably go with the GR07 (or maybe check out the RHA ma750 which I hear are excellent with rock-solid build quality.) If you want the best sound (imo ofc) and are willing to be careful and accept that they'll die eventually I would still recommend the RE400. 

good luck mate

Jun 26, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 19
What is your budget? If build and sound quality are of top concern I would recommend something like the Trinity Delta V2 and RHA MA750 over any of the three IEMs you listed.

I was not impressed by the SE215 build quality at all, the shell is held together by glue and is very prone to cracking, it does have a detachable cable for the price point, but so does the Delta V2. If build quality and longevity is a concern I would always stray away from the asian brands, esp. HiFiman.

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 19
Thank you. :) I'll check around for the Soundmagics. I found the RHA in my budget though.

You've owned the RE-400 before right? Did they break on you? On all the headphone forums I've been on, there are a lot of threads with broken RE-400s.

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 19
Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll check around for the Soundmagics. I found the RHA in my budget though.

You've owned the RE-400 before right? Did they break on you? On all the headphone forums I've been on, there are a lot of threads with broken RE-400s.

No unfortunately, I was strongly considering it but like you was turned off by claims of QC. I got the E80s instead like I said, they also go for the "reference" tuning and have survived sitting in my jean pockets every day for months, nothing about it really feels cheap to me for the price I paid. You also get a hard carrying case and foam tips included so it's a pretty insane value.

They only cost ~$55 but with how they sound I would have been happy paying more. I've since upgraded but I had to spend pretty much 6-7 times that amount.

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 19
They only cost ~$55 but with how they sound I would have been happy paying more. I've since upgraded but I had to spend pretty much 6-7 times that amount.

I'm found a pair for $58.29 new. Is that a good price? Its shipping from US so I don't have to wait too long for it to come compared to a China shipment.

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 19
Do you know about Havi B3 Pro 1? I got them based off reviews on here and I was kind of disappointed. They are also apparently reference sound.

I'm replacing them as I did not like what they sound like.

I'm also a bit more wary of Head-Fi reviews than before so I don't really base my purchases off reviews anymore, just recommendations.

I super appreciate the time you take to recommend me stuff though.

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #13 of 19
If build quality is your main concern I would probably go with the GR07 (or maybe check out the RHA ma750 which I hear are excellent with rock-solid build quality.) If you want the best sound (imo ofc) and are willing to be careful and accept that they'll die eventually I would still recommend the RE400. 

good luck mate

Have you tried the Soundmagic E80 before? Also, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back