I need a replacement for my MEElec M11Ps and it looks like the M11P+ is NOT it!
Nov 30, 2010 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kez

New Head-Fier
I loved my Meelectronics M11Ps until I lost them in a hotel in Istanbul! 

Here's what I rated about them:

Almost NO cable microphonics! 
A 'fun' sound signature that still contained plenty of detail. 
A big, solid bass that made its presence felt without getting too over bloated.  
Not too sibilant, and not fatiguing over long listening periods.
Small and durable, I never worried about stuffing them into my pocket or gym bag. 
A built in Mic for phone conversations
They could be worn over the ear or straight down. 
The tips were soft and COMFORTABLE to wear

Naturally; I went straight back onto Meelectronic's website and ordered a pair of updated M11P+s fully expecting an even better version of my 
loved IEMs.

I was wrong.

The first thing I noticed was the bass, or should I say BASS!? It is big and LOUD - to the extent that some music becomes unlistenable. 
To be fair to MEElectronics, when compared to the old M11s, I can hear an increased level of detail throughout the the other frequencies.
The character of the bass seems tight and well formed too, it's just too loud!

I'm currently burning these in, but unless it improves radically I am going to have to return them for a refund, and I 
will need to enlist the help you fellow head-fiers to suggest some alternatives at a similar price point (or below) the M11P+s 
based on the criteria I have outlined above. 

Here are some of the IEMs I've used in the past: 
Q-Jays (I liked the sound, but they didn't have a microphone, those fiddly sound tube filters kept falling off, and the cable was quite microphonic.)
Klipsch Image S4i (Their sound was too harsh for my tastes)
Etymotic (Can't remember if it was hf3 or hf2 I used - but they were too analytical for me)

Thanks! 

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who's used both M11s and M11+s too

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 8

Quote:

To be fair to MEElectronics, when compared to the old M11s, I can hear an increased level of detail throughout the the other frequencies.
The character of the bass seems tight and well formed too, it's just too loud!

Thanks! 

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who's used both M11s and M11+s too

Why dont you just back off of the bass using an EQ???  These IEMs sound like an improvement over your M11s to me honestly. *shrugs*

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 8
Hi lebomb, that would be fine, except I'm using an iphone 4 and the only close to acceptable EQ i've found is 'bass reducer' which kills a bit too much low end.
So far I haven't managed to get my custom eqs onto the iphone 

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 8
Heh, I agree on the M11+ being excessive in the bass dept. compared to the M11 but if a mic is a must-have the field is narrowed down considerably. If you can bump your budget up to $90 the Thinksound TS02+mic may be something you would like - it's a very easy-going earphone although you will sacrifice some of the durability of the M11s by switching to it. Can't imagine the TS02 being fatiguing as it has big but soft bass and relatively laid-back treble.

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks! I hadn't seen the TS02s before, from reading the reviews - they seem very much to my taste sound wise.
My only concern is potential microphonics. Any one own these, or other Thinksound IEMs with the same cable care to comment on this?

Let me say clearly: I hate microphonics! and I hate being forced to wear my IEMs over the ear to avoid them while walking around.

One of my favorite things about the  M11s is that coated cable was completely smooth and non-microphonic. 

Boy do I miss them! Does anyone know where I can still get the original M11Ps, shipped to the UK?

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #8 of 8
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/525855/fs-like-new-meelectronics-m11-earphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back