I Need a Powerful Cellphone - Recommendations, please!
May 13, 2007 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

nickknutson

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Guys,
I'm in the market for a new cellphone. I was wondering if they make a cellphone that is like a computer. When I say "like a computer" I mean being able to use the Microsoft Office suite...Word, Excel, etc. I'd like a mobile phone where I could have a mobile office in my pocket!

In a nutshell, I'm looking for a bad ***** cellphone!

Thanks in advance!

May 13, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 19
Nokia n95 ....... i presume

May 13, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 19
No, if you want a cellphone that's capable of running proper mobile version of MS Office, get a Windows Mobile 5 or 6 powered one.

PDA-phone, in other words. The ones with keyboards would also work well for this purpose.

Something like a Cingular 8125/8252 or a XDA Neo/Atom would probably work well. There's many models.

Nick, what's your budget?

May 13, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 19
XV6700. I use it to surf the net, watch my Slingbox, do word, spreadsheets, email, etc. I even use it to access my office network remotely using terminal services. It will also serve as an MP3 player in a pinch. It's like a mini-laptop in my pocket. Very happy with it.

May 14, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nick, what's your budget?

I'd like to keep it under $1000. I'm looking at Cingular for my service plan and I don't care if it's offered by them...for instance Nokia phones, usually you have to buy the phone from Nokia and get your SIM card from Cingular.

May 14, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 19
I just purchased a Samsung i730 from Verizon a few months ago. It comes with just about everything a person needs - Windows Mobile 5, Excel, Word, Wi-Fi, Media Player, slide out keyboard, SD card slot.

Been pretty happy with mine so far. I love having my music on my phone.

This model is being replaced with a newer version and Verizon's inventory of this model comes and goes. They are selling them for $100 now. Here is their link and a link to a forum on the pda phone. Hope this helps.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=1780

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/samsu...w/index12.html

Todd

May 14, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 19
I forgot to say there is no camera on the Samsung.

May 14, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #11 of 19
A T-Mobile Dash with Windows Mobile 6 might fit the bill for you. It is able to edit Word and Excel documents, as well as view PowerPoint presentations. The HTC Excalibur S620 is the unbranded version of the Dash, but as of right now doesn't have a Windows Mobile 6 upgrade available. It runs the Smartphone version of Windows Mobile, and Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone Edition does not have Mobile Office like version 6 has. This is definitely a personal preference thing, but I much prefer the button-driven interface of Windows Mobile Standard (Smartphone) to that of the touchscreen-driven interface of Windows Mobile Professional (Pocket PC).

The biggest downside to the Dash/S620 and any other Windows Mobile device is the terrible battery life. If you use it for anything but just talking the battery is drained quite fast, and you are not too likely to make it through the day without a recharge. This seems to be the case for virtually every Windows Mobile device made (and certainly every one that I have owned), whether it be a Pocket PC or running the Smartphone version.

If battery life is important, and you can deal with only being able to view, rather than edit, Word documents (not sure if Excel or PowerPoint are even viewable), then the BlackBerry Pearl is about as good as it gets. It is also one of the most compact smartphones available. Biggest downside is the lack of applications available compared to Windows Mobile or S60.

May 14, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 19
new blackberry coming may 28th 8830, today for business customers (on verizon that is)

i have the xv6700 it has wm5 and everything you're looking for, i personally do not like it and am switching to a bb asap

May 14, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A T-Mobile Dash with Windows Mobile 6 might fit the bill for you. It is able to edit Word and Excel documents, as well as view PowerPoint presentations. The HTC Excalibur S620 is the unbranded version of the Dash, but as of right now doesn't have a Windows Mobile 6 upgrade available. It runs the Smartphone version of Windows Mobile, and Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone Edition does not have Mobile Office like version 6 has. This is definitely a personal preference thing, but I much prefer the button-driven interface of Windows Mobile Standard (Smartphone) to that of the touchscreen-driven interface of Windows Mobile Professional (Pocket PC).

I own the T-Mobile Dash with Windows Mobile 6 and I couldn't be happier. A lot of the complaints I had with the phone were fixed with the update to WM^ (with the exception of the volume strip, which I disabled).

Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The biggest downside to the Dash/S620 and any other Windows Mobile device is the terrible battery life. If you use it for anything but just talking the battery is drained quite fast, and you are not too likely to make it through the day without a recharge. This seems to be the case for virtually every Windows Mobile device made (and certainly every one that I have owned), whether it be a Pocket PC or running the Smartphone version.

As for battery Life, I listen to music on mine for 7+ hours a day and still have 1-2 bars left. Last time I went to Colorado I surfed the web for 5 hours solid while listening to music before my battery died, and It had not been charged from the day before. If the phone is not used except for the occasional phone call, a whole day can go by and the phone still shows max batt life.

Hope that helps.

May 14, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 19
BangSER_blck.jpg

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/page.asp?id=208

How about this awesome cellphone from B&O at only $1275.

Quote:

Serene Mobile
The Serene experience starts with its curved drop-shaped shell and soft-touch surface that allows it to slip comfortably into your hand or pocket. Let it open up and you’ll find the display is in the lower shell and the keyboard is in the upper shell. Why? Because we believe it makes more sense that way. The keyboard is circular instead of square, with easy, intuitive operation thanks to Bang & Olufsen’s thumb-controlled wheel. The extra large display gives you room to write and read text messages.

Opening and closing Serene involves a gentle move with your finger, which triggers a built-in motor so the shell opens slowly and gracefully. In addition, Serene offers the basic features that we all want in a mobile phone - SMS, MMS from the built-in camera, and email.

SYSTEM Triband (GSM 900, 1800, 1900 MHz) GPRS Compatible with TMobile & Cingular

For service questions on the Serene please call (847) 590-4941.

Dimensions: 65 x 70 x 24 mm / 110 g

Colors: Black

Users who are viewing this thread

Back