I need a lo-fi recommendation
May 31, 2008 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

scompton

Headphoneus Supremus
My wife has decided she wants a PDP and IEMs or a canal phone for her commute on the DC metro. She's hard of hearing. Her hearing drops to zero at about 80Hz, so fidelity is not required. Lots of bass is what she needs. Can anyone recommend something with awful, bloated bass.

This is a serious request.

May 31, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 13
Awful and bloated bass? Darths????

Oh yeah, an iem.... the V-Moda bass freqs might be what you are looking for.

May 31, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 13
sony ex71 has lots of bass...more than the dt770
or creative ep630 which is a bit more durable, cheaper, and more balanced

but both have more than enough bass

May 31, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BOSE?

That's what I was thinking.

But doesn't the iPod and other DAPs have equalizer controls or settings? There's usually a basshead setting on them, too. Or has she already tried EQ and it didn't work?

May 31, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 13
How do you know 80hz is her rolloff? I second the ep630 or senn cx300....good isolation and plenty of bass.

May 31, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read numerous times that the Super.Fi 5 EB has crazy overblown bass.

Thing about it is... she might not like the fit, so shes gonna get piss and waste 150$

May 31, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 13
wow what a request, makes a change.

but does it really need to be crappy and bloated? why does big mid bass usually mean bloated, why cant earphones that respond well between 80 and 300hz be great mid bass phones??

anyway i think all of these phones give great low bass and also mid bass (80-300hz):

super fi 5
super fi 5 EB
atrio m5
shure se530
v-moda vibez
westone um2
sennheiser cx400/cx500/cx95

all give great sub bass but this dont mean they have poor mid bass response, no they all respond very well and give a good powerful mid bass response, your partners unlucky hearing wont mean she wants crap bass, loud bass yes, crap bass...why?

but as she cant hear below 80hz i cant see why this means she needs bloated mid bass, just nice mid bass should be sufficiant

May 31, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I was thinking.

But doesn't the iPod and other DAPs have equalizer controls or settings? There's usually a basshead setting on them, too. Or has she already tried EQ and it didn't work?

I haven't bought her a DAP yet. What ever I get her, I'm sure I'll set it up to use bass boost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you know 80hz is her rolloff? I second the ep630 or senn cx300....good isolation and plenty of bass.

Since she uses hearing aids and goes to an audiologist every year, she has FR graphs for her ears. Rolloff doesn't start at 80Hz. That's where it ends at zero hearing. A good example of what her hearing is like, telephones don't ring for her. We have special 100dB ringers with flashing lights. They make me jump every time the phone rings.

Quote:

but as she cant hear below 80hz i cant see why this means she needs bloated mid bass, just nice mid bass should be sufficiant

She likes the bloated bass of our stock car stereo. If the bass overwhelms the mids and highs, that's fine. I like the recommendation of the CX300 or ep630.

May 31, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 13
Koss 'The Plug' - they're horrible. So, they're just right.
biggrin.gif
Well, they have loooads of bass. And they're cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back