I need a good "budget" CD transport...
Oct 8, 2010 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Golden Monkey

Headphoneus Supremus
I tuned out on Head-Fi for a while, because it just started getting stupidly expensive for me, but lately I've been thinking about getting a new transport to replace my Denon DVD player.  I have no idea what's out there these days though, but I want something to add to my Monarchy DIP > OMZ > Woo 3+ chain.  I don't need it to be balanced, or to have really anything more than a 75 ohm digital coax out.  Basic CD player controls and functionality and a remote control would be nice though. What would you recommend in the sub-$600 range? Thanks in advance!

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 17
Oct 8, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 17
Oct 9, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 17
The problem with the LD transport is the slow response to button pressing...

User impressions at http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/377959/the-first-cd-transport-from-little-dot-will-be-releasing-soon

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too...hmmm...(off to read reviews).  Thanks!

Oct 9, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 17
the little dot transport looks an awful lot like a budget dvd player in a different housing :/ its reported abysmal response time is perhaps indicative of this? 

Oct 9, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 17
I'm not liking the user impressions of the LD...that issue with slow response on the buttons is unfortunate and unacceptable, IMO.  I also don't really like the looks.  It would be fine if I still had other LD stuff, but it wouldn't look nice with my other gear.  That's a minor issue though.  I'm kind of leaning towards the Vanguard CDM12 Pro, from Pacific Valve:

http://www.pacificvalve.us/VanguardCDM12.html

It's a bit more though...

Oct 9, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
the little dot transport looks an awful lot like a budget dvd player in a different housing :/ its reported abysmal response time is perhaps indicative of this? 

I guess not. From the little dot web site....

Quote:
The Little Dot CDP_I is a pure CD digital transport for outputting your CD's digital stream to an external DAC. At the center is Phillips/DAISy newest GF-8 CD Module, which is small, light, has exceptional data accuracy with error correction, and highly robust and reliable motor mechanism. Since CD modules have moving parts, it was extremely important to us to build the CDP_1 around a CD module that was not only accurate and precise, but also dependable for years of maintenance free enjoyment. Coupled with isolated, bit-perfect digital output, excellent signal isolation and jitter rejection, and the Little Dot CDP_I is a highly reliable and robust, zero maintenance, CD transport with a pure and accurate output as possible!

http://littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=823

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #12 of 17
I see, it uses the gryfalcon 8 transport or something like that.  I was going by the DVD/DTS etc on it's display, must be just a kit they use.

still, at well over £200 shipped it seems very expensive for what it is.

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #14 of 17
I have a question to this issue too.Isn't it worth to buy some used vintage sony cd-players to use for the transport ,if I found a good one?
I  think they are very cheap ,eventhough the DAC part imo is not quite sp good compared to cd players nowaday(I own one),but the transport is quite solid (just my guessing)

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
I have a question to this issue too.Isn't it worth to buy some used vintage sony cd-players to use for the transport ,if I found a good one?
I  think they are very cheap ,eventhough the DAC part imo is not quite sp good compared to cd players nowaday(I own one),but the transport is quite solid (just my guessing)

I think as long as the mechanical side of things are good, you'll be ok.  Just make sure it has the appropriate digital outs to feed an external DAC.  A lot of older ones just have analog out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back