I need a better player (with all sorts of crazy features)
Mar 29, 2010 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

semisight

500+ Head-Fier
For the past year and a half or so I've been using an iPod Touch 16GB 2nd gen. Now don't get me wrong, it's a great PMP; the apps are by far the best part, but as a whole it's well thought out and solidly built (this I can say from "testing"
tongue.gif
). However, the battery is now far short of what it used to be to the point where I never use it for movies any more because it drains so quickly. Also, while it sounded great with my mid centric SCL3s a year ago, it sounds rather cold to me and really doesn't get along well with my RE0s.

So, I've been looking for an audio player that fits at least these categories (I may get another PMP later, I just want a dedicated audio device).
  1. Relatively cheap (max about $125)
  2. Can play AAC files (I've ripped all my CDs in AAC VBR and I don't want to go through them again)
  3. Can sync with OS X somehow (NOT through Windows)
  4. Has some sort of crossfeed filter
  5. Good EQ

Right now I'm considering a rockboxed Clip+, a Cowon D2+, or a Cowon i9 (Fuze v1 is hard to find). The Clip would be ideal if not for the poor battery life, but on the other hand the Cowon only has primitive support for AAC. Can anybody help me out here?

Thanks,
semi

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 5
I would vote for the rockboxed Clip+. The battery is decent enough and you can't really complain judging by it's tiny size. You could get a USB battery charger and use re-chargeables with it to extend battery life. Something like this:

CEL2MOT.jpg

They do have one with a mini-usb connection. I have one for extended trips.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 5
I'll throw my vote at a Sansa Clip+ (Rockbox or not is up to you) and if battery concerns you, like above you could look at a Duracell Instant Charger. Review can be found here at Duracell Instant Charger Review, They seem to give it a thumbs up.

If however you want an overall longer lasting battery, slightly larger capacity at at more affordable price and video support look further into a D2+. I recently just got one after months of scrutinizing, I'm very happy with it and would recommend it.

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 5
A lot of love for the clip+. For anyone who has rockboxed the clip, how is battery life?

EDIT: Just read about the music pitch bug, which is/isn't in the Clip+? I can't tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back