I might prefer the DT880 250 Pro to the 600 Premium... Am I crazy?
Apr 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Earbones

500+ Head-Fier
Been listening to the DT880 250 pro for almost a week and love it... Things did take around a day or two to settle in sound-wise, but now it's amazing. Took delivery of a pair of the 600 premiums today, and initially I'm not too excited. Right off the bat I prefer the clamping force of the Pro. A little thing I know, but there it is. The cord is also a drag, very long. I prefer the neat coiled design of the Pro cable. But these are almost non-issues... What matters is sound. In short, the 250 seems to have better mids. Little things will jump out at me. A digital hand clap on "Doin' It Right" off Daft Punk's Random Access Memories has substance and body behind it on the 250, but sounds thin and anemic and harsh on the 600. Mid-range details that jumped out at me on the 250 are still there on the 600, but recessed. I'm not sure I would have gotten them the first time. Overall it just feels a little sparser in the mids. I've read reviews that have claimed smoother highs and deeper bass from the 600. I'm not hearing that.

Amp is a Rotel RA-05 SE so no chance the 600s aren't getting enough juice... Maybe they need more time to burn in? Like I said, I felt like the 250s really hit their stride after a couple of days of listening... Although I enjoyed them up front...

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 7
Actually that was my experience also, though I don't talk about it too much as the 600 was used and I couldn't be sure it wasn't due to wear on the pads or whatever. But yes, the 600 was anemic sounding with overly recessed mids; I sold it the following week. I think it may have something to do with the higher clamping force of the Pro. Press any phone a little closer to your ear and the sound will become slightly fuller. Also you get a better seal, which should give you better bass.

Now you're probably going to get a few replies along the lines of 'you need a tube amp, the Rotel won't do it'. I have no comment on that. I use a modern Marantz receiver (SR4023) for reasons of convenience, and I have no interest in dedicated HP amps tube or otherwise. It seems to me the only reason to go 600 ohm and tubes is if you're dissatisfied with the Pro, and I'm not. To me it's the best compromise of sound quality, comfort, build and price on the market. If I were any happier with it I'd take it to bed with me, but we don't want to go there. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 7
...Now you're probably going to get a few replies along the lines of 'you need a tube amp, the Rotel won't do it'. I have no comment on that. I use a modern Marantz receiver (SR4023) for reasons of convenience, and I have no interest in dedicated HP amps tube or otherwise. It seems to me the only reason to go 600 ohm and tubes is if you're dissatisfied with the Pro, and I'm not. To me it's the best compromise of sound quality, comfort, build and price on the market. If I were any happier with it I'd take it to bed with me, but we don't want to go there.  :D
I actually pulled the trigger on a Woo Audio WA3 today, and I'm going to hang onto both the 250 and 600 until that arrives so I can audition both and return the loser... Well, I guess we'll see. And by the way, I get wanting to take a headphone to bed. Uh, I mean... What? I didn't say that! You're putting words in my mouth, you weirdo!

Apr 23, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 7
I'll be interested in reading that review. Whatever the result it won't cause me to go out and buy a tube amp and 600 DT880, but there's been so much debate and speculation on this subject a straight comparison like yours should prove invaluable.  

As for people putting things in your mouth, just make sure it's only ever words.
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 7
Ha, words... And breasts. Chicken breasts. Delicious fried chicken breasts. What did you think I meant?

Ordered a set of Sennheiser HD650s a few minutes ago, just to spice up the shoot-off. Now it's a full-on Thunderdome event. Three cans enter, two cans get returned. Gotta love Amazon.

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 7
Ordered a set of Sennheiser HD650s a few minutes ago, just to spice up the shoot-off. Now it's a full-on Thunderdome event. Three cans enter, two cans get returned. Gotta love Amazon.

Amazon? Amazon won't even let me buy anything other than books or CDs, let alone return things on a whim. Be thankful you live...wherever you live. The sun of Amazon turns its face from such as us in foreign climes.

Apr 23, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm looking forward to your results too. I have a pair of the DT880 250s and I'm curious as to the mids and bass response of the 600s in comparison. Debating on picking up the HD 650s too so I'd like to hear your opinion as to whether the sound differences are significant enough to justify purchasing some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back