I love my HD650s, But.....
Mar 4, 2009 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Dutchess of York

100+ Head-Fier
Ive decided theyre a bit too dark for me. I really like the warm signature, but the bass is almost all consuming on some songs. Its like the mids and highs have to escape from a pool of bass. Sometime I find its even a bit flabby, but at others its very well controlled, depends on the song.

So, is there anything that I can do to tame the bass?

I guess my options would be:

A new headphone (would prefer it not to come to this because, like I said, I do love the HD650s)

Try an aftermarket cable (ive heard they can clean up the low end)

A new amp (I know my darkvoice [336i] is competent, but is it still under powering the senns?)

If anyone has experience with this problem, please chime in.

Ive heard that the HD600s can be a bit leaner on bass too, would they be a better option?

thanks

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 21
I've found plenty of tubes that help control the bass on my HD650s on my Little Dot MKIII. Maybe try some more tube rolling.

BTW, I found my HD580s a little bass lite. What a subjective hobby this is!

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your best option would be either to upgrade to a new amp like the Darkvoice 3322, or to a new headphone like the HD600 or D7000.

I was thinking the 3322 if I did upgrade on bang for buck principle, but is the signature darker then others in the price range?

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forget the cable, try the HD600.

x2

From what you've said you'll love the HD600's.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just go for RS-1.

hah, not exactly the direction I was thinking

the GS1ks sound like they could be up my ally tho

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 21
I also think the HD-600 would be a safe choice. It has almost the same sound signature but is more neutral.

Another option is to try a solid state amp. Tubes can be soft and flabby with bass, but solid state cleans that up.

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #12 of 21
Do you have the older vintage 650's? I understand the newer version to be more neutral. I also agree that the 600's sound like a better fit for what you want. I don't know what your tube rolling options are, but I have found that I can significantly change the sound signature from my amp by rolling. Good luck.

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #13 of 21
Get a new headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #14 of 21
Get a new headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also think the HD-600 would be a safe choice. It has almost the same sound signature but is more neutral.

Another option is to try a solid state amp. Tubes can be soft and flabby with bass, but solid state cleans that up.

I totally agree with this sentiment, also tube rolling will give you unlimited options when is comes to sound modification. I know recabling might seem to be the last recommendation, but when I got my first cardas experience, it was pretty intense. The bass really tightened up, the soundstage opened up and became more holographic and the overall cohesiveness of the sound made the musicality of the HD-650s rise to the next level, even out of a lowly ipod jack!!!!! I heartily recommend the Cardas cable for the HD650s, they'll give you more of what you love about the phones and elevate the tainted bass to a religious bass experience....... from headphones, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back