I just made a cheesesteak
Aug 3, 2015 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
So I just made a cheesesteak sandwich for lunch. It's actually an easy sandwich to make.

First I bought some thin sliced beef. If you can't find thin sliced beef ask your butcher if he can slice it or you can use ground beef instead.

Next, I fry up some onions. When they are cooked, I set the onions aside to a plate.

Next, I fry up some of the beef. Add some salt to the beef.

Next, I place the cheese on top of the cooked beef for about a minute so it melts a little. Today, I used smoked gouda cheese but use whatever cheese you like.

Finally, I assemble the cooked onions and beef on to the bread. 

The cheesesteak sandwich.

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 11
One detail that I like is to make sure that the meat has a brown crust so in a way, the meat is caramelized. Commonly in many cheesesteak places, they do not brown the meat because they want to cook it as fast as possible. But I like to cook the meat a little longer so there is a little extra brown crust which gives it a little more beefy flavor. In the photo above, I didn't caramelize the meat enough but the 2nd cheesesteak I made later in the afternoon was better since I browned the meat more.

Also I like to use a cast iron skillet because a cast iron skillet has better consistent heat which makes it easier to sear the meat thus, creating a bit more of a browned crust.

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 11
I noticed the cast iron skillet in your pictures.  You have to learn how to cook with those but once you've learned they're about the best pan there is.  I approve of your method of cooking the meat a bit longer.  Sometimes it's ok to have a cut of beef rare or medium rare but it depends on the cut of meat because sometimes I like the meat to be seared but also cooked a bit more.  Man I have to stop looking at those pictures of your sandwiches I'm getting hungrier by the minute.  It's 10:18 pm where I live so it's not time for another big meal tonight.  
BTW with all of the threads you've started pertaining to food I can understand why you chose "Spareribs" as your monicker. 
size]

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 11
Thats a pretty attractive sandwich there.

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #10 of 11
Thank you. Some Subway restaurants do sell cheesesteaks too so you might be able to try it or make it at home. You can be creative and add different ingredients to suit your taste. In my opinion, there are no rules and its up to your interpretation to whatever you feel like adding. My other version is having no cheese and barbecue sauce instead.

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 11
  One detail that I like is to make sure that the meat has a brown crust so in a way, the meat is caramelized. Commonly in many cheesesteak places, they do not brown the meat because they want to cook it as fast as possible. But I like to cook the meat a little longer so there is a little extra brown crust which gives it a little more beefy flavor. In the photo above, I didn't caramelize the meat enough but the 2nd cheesesteak I made later in the afternoon was better since I browned the meat more.

Also I like to use a cast iron skillet because a cast iron skillet has better consistent heat which makes it easier to sear the meat thus, creating a bit more of a browned crust.

Yep cast iron is what I use almost exclusively.

For an added touch that starts to move the sandwich closer to a French Dip, you deglaze the pan after the onions and beef with a small amount of warm water. Sometimes I'll add a little beef base and then you've got yourself some Au Jus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back