I just introduced someone to head-fi
Apr 24, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a guy sitting next to me on a plane last month I introduced.
I pulled out my er6i, he asked me how I liked them, I told him the isolation alone makes them worth the money but I thought they were good in sound quality, and he proceeded to pull out ue10's, coming straight out of an iPod. I asked if he had heard of head-fi and he said no, so I wrote down the site for him and told him that a hornet or tomahawk amp would be a good choice, he said thanks and told me he would check it out.

Must be a musician to not be on Head-Fi.

Apr 24, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My god, man. What have you gone and done?!
biggrin.gif

he is a vicious tyrant and lives up to his name!

Apr 25, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #18 of 33
I've introduced a number of people to head-fi. Most just laugh at me and think I'm silly for my interest in headphones and headphone amps. Nobody's signed up for it that I know of. Lucky them, and their wallets!

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #20 of 33
I talk to my friends about headphones but I never ever lead to them to Head-fi. That is dangerous!!! Are you crasy???

ok, just kidding around.

My co-worker was impressed with the PA2v2 portable amp that I showed him and he got me to buy one for him (he doesn't have a computer so I bought it for him via the website). He uses the portable amp mainly to increase the power and bass on his cheap speakers that he attaches to his portable DVD player from the headphone jack. He's is not an audiophile, he just thought it was kinda unique and cool but the cheap speakers he uses are terrible sounding so maybe the little amp gives it slightly better definition and bass.

That's basically the extent of head-fi with people in my world.

The way I see it, headphones are not seriously taken by the general average person. People are satisfied with the stock headphones and if they are into serious listening, speakers is their method. Some people of course, will buy a good $50 aftermarket headphone or a Grado SR 60 perhaps and be satisfied with their "big" headphone purchase and have no more further interest in spending more money on "measily" headphones. So of course, people will think the headphone hobby is ridiculous and too expensive. Usually musicians and audio people will understand Head-Fi. The rest will not.

And I think that is OK. Nothing wrong with having no interest in headphones IMO. Interest in music is far more important.

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #23 of 33
I found Head-Fi after I purchased the HD580 on Amazon for cheap...cheaper. Then within a 2 month period, I went onto amps, more amps, IEMs, Closed Ears, ALO....blah blah blah.

I was so mad at myself for spending so much money that I went and introduced a friend to it. Brokeness loves company...

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not over PX-100s. I've sent folks with Grados here before, though. Yeah, there are Grado owners that don't know this place.

How does that work?
confused.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might as well just have sold him temp tattoos laced with heroine..

How does that work?
confused.gif

Unless they are the lick-and-stick kind.
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #27 of 33
Here in Singapore everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) is wearing IEM's but most are cheap OEM plugs or iBuds. I sometimes feel the urge to rise and preach the gospel of true audio.....

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #28 of 33
I think it's not really worth it to try to make people into audiophile headphone listeners. MOST people listen to music casually. They are not serious music fans and are pleanty satisfied merely hearing the songs that they like in an average stock headphone or IEM or a slightly higher grade after market headphone without spending a lot. And I think that's fine actaully.

My co worker only owns like 10 CDs and the same with a lot of people I know. All they really need is a 1 GB mp3 player and stock buds and they are plenty happy with it despite them knowing about better headphones.

For most people, music is just a simple background sound track and not really that important and they are focusing on other things in their lives and really are not concerned about sound improvement.

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's not really worth it to try to make people into audiophile headphone listeners. MOST people listen to music casually. They are not serious music fans and are pleanty satisfied merely hearing the songs that they like in an average stock headphone or IEM or a slightly higher grade after market headphone without spending a lot. And I think that's fine actaully.

My co worker only owns like 10 CDs and the same with a lot of people I know. All they really need is a 1 GB mp3 player and stock buds and they are plenty happy with it despite them knowing about better headphones.

For most people, music is just a simple background sound track and not really that important and they are focusing on other things in their lives and really are not concerned about sound improvement.

Sad but true.
redface.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like to force people into being audiophiles .

I do that by "loaning" them some good headphones for a few months.
(k601, k501 , 7506,) and then suddenly taking them back.

The look on their face is like you just took away a babies bottle.
very_evil_smiley.gif

You will find that they can no longer go back to their old crappy headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back