I just had my iPod stolen while sleeping on the schoolbus!
Feb 26, 2008 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

Thelonious Monk

Headphoneus Supremus
The mini jack lacerated my hand, too.

And I found out that I'm gay. :frowning2:

So, yeah, I've got a $300 budget for a new DAP. All I care about is music playback. My OS is Vista (unfortunately), and my main music player is foobar2k. I mostly use MP3s. I'd like to avoid touch screens. While not required, I want a good, adjustable EQ, preferably at least 8 bands. Normally I know exactly what I want to listen to in a given week, so lots of storage space isn't required, meaning small flash players are fine.

I don't want another iPod -- I live in an area with lots of gang activity and iPods are popular items for theft. It was probably a gang member that stole it -- I'm not positive who did it because I was napping when it happened, with the laceration being what woke me up. I won't be taking it on the schoolbus again, but you can never be too safe.

Basically, nothing flashy looking. That means I probably wouldn't mind getting an old-but-good MP3 player. I'm no expert on the subject, but I heard that the Rio Karma is amazing for some reason. If there's some totally badass DAP with GPS and fingerprint scanners and other James Bond features I'd be interested in it, though.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 85
Sounds rough, and I'm glad you got out of it with "only" a laceration and a new discovery...

I think that in an environment where people are going to steal your iPod, they are also going to steal any other DAP, your shoes, or whatever else looks tempting.

If you are going to get another DAP, I can't say enough good things about the Karma, really. The headphone jack is so good that I don't even need an amp with my ER-4S. I don't know if you were "staying with amplification" on the bus, but not having to carry around yet another expensive electronic accessory like this could also be an advantage.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 85
I hope your 2nd statement is not true...
wink.gif

Cowon D2 or Sony Walkmans....(the new one coming in march)

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 85
Get a flashy nice model,Ipod/Zune etc for "other than school" things, and pic up a sansa or centon or some such cheap $30 player with koss ksc75's or something for school.

As for the 2nd statement, youll live.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 85
What about the infamous clip? Its cheap, easily replaceable, and you could rotate albums of the day! (Fun term for re-syncing daily)
And if it does get stolen, shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 85
i don't think "flashy" matters much

an mp3 player is an mp3 player

likely they don't know much of the difference

if they're ready to steal it from you, it's not that important what it is you have

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 85
For flash players, the latest Nano is awfully nice. I know you don't want another iPod, but I think they're great. Even though I already have an iPod, I have to keep myself from buying one.

Sucks about the theft. I hope your hand gets better soon.

And if you're coming out, I'm glad you trust this community enough to tell us. I support you, and I hope you have a positive experience with everyone else as you transition. And don't be sad about it - enjoy life as you are.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds rough, and I'm glad you got out of it with "only" a laceration and a new discovery...

I think that in an environment where people are going to steal your iPod, they are also going to steal any other DAP, your shoes, or whatever else looks tempting.

If you are going to get another DAP, I can't say enough good things about the Karma, really. The headphone jack is so good that I don't even need an amp with my ER-4S. I don't know if you were "staying with amplification" on the bus, but not having to carry around yet another expensive electronic accessory like this could also be an advantage.

Quote:

i don't think "flashy" matters much

an mp3 player is an mp3 player

likely they don't know much of the difference

if they're ready to steal it from you, it's not that important what it is you have

Most people that do **** like this are planning on selling their spoils, and nobody wants to buy old monochrome MP3 players. I'm more likely to actually get mugged and not just taken advantage of if it's something expensive looking.

I forgot to mention that I don't plan on using an amp. I normally use KSC75s, SF3s or Marshmallows -- I'm not that picky about portable sound quality, obviously.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll look into the 'clip', and see if I can find any decent refurbished Rio Karmas in my budget.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #9 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and see if I can find any decent refurbished Rio Karmas in my budget.

You should be able to do better than refurbished with some searching. Mine is flawless--not a single mark on it, so surely there are others like it on the used market.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #10 of 85
I always thought that Thelonious Monk is an old guy that plays some wicked jazz piano. What's he doing on a school bus?...
...wait, you're not the same guy?
confused.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 85
I hate people like this, they need to grow up and learn maturity. Makes me angry that someone would steal something. Even though it's not the best road to travel, you should beat their a**.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #14 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate people like this, they need to grow up and learn maturity. Makes me angry that someone would steal something. Even though it's not the best road to travel, you should beat their a**.

I don't know for sure exactly who ripped it from my hands, but I know the general group of people who were in on it. While I'm a pretty strong guy, the last thing I want to do is get involved in gang violence. Plus, I just transfered to a performing arts school and will get kicked out if I start a fight. I ride two buses to get there, the one this incident happened on was the first one, closer to where I live, before I switch to the other bus, so I don't even go to school with these people. I'm going to have a hell of a time resolving the conflict because of this. I might not get my iPod back, but the guy that got all pissed off when I went up and told the driver someone had taken my iPod is a drug dealer, so...

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 85

Users who are viewing this thread

Back