I just had a chance to listen to some of the best classic discmans...
Oct 13, 2003 at 7:04 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Fish Tank X
The V700DJ r0x0rz teh CD3K. teh CD3k makez you l00k stupid0rz.

Someone needs to tell this guy that smoking crack is not healthy.

I have been on an e-bay PCDP spree so hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will be comparing some of the old discmen in a review. This will be coming from the perspective of one who is used to listening to a high end home cd player. Included will be a 303, 211, 311, 515, 777, 805 and perhaps a 905.

Oct 13, 2003 at 7:09 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
...I will be comparing some of the old discmen in a review. This will be coming from the perspective of one who is used to listening to a high end home cd player.

Oooh, low blow!
tongue.gif

This could be interesting, i'll be keen to see your results, seeing that i'm not keen on the Arcam sound - I have a feeling that you'll find the Discmen to sound very flat through the midrange, yet peaky in the treble...

...Thats the reverse impression I have of Arcam sound anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 7:15 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

I have been on an e-bay PCDP spree so hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will be comparing some of the old discmen in a review. This will be coming from the perspective of one who is used to listening to a high end home cd player. Included will be a 303, 211, 311, 515, 777, 805 and perhaps a 905.

They need a sarcasm tag so that people will know you're making a deliberate attempt at sarcasm.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 7:16 PM Post #19 of 31
You've got to admit, though. Often times the person who would write like that would be the same person to say the 700DJ would be superior to the CD3K just because it looks stupid, and can't be driven properly by most discmen.

Oct 13, 2003 at 7:36 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

don't forget the gpx1234!! once i heard it i backed my humvee over my d777.
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 9:13 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Oooh, low blow!
tongue.gif

This could be interesting, i'll be keen to see your results, seeing that i'm not keen on the Arcam sound - I have a feeling that you'll find the Discmen to sound very flat through the midrange, yet peaky in the treble...

...Thats the reverse impression I have of Arcam sound anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

That was in no way directed at you Duncan!!! It's just a view that I've never seen before. You have done an awesome job and your PCDP review is unparralleled. Always good to have another view though. I wouldn't be trying to directly compare a discman to a high quality home deck because I am sure there's no comparison. I am just skeptical that these older players do offer the quality that everyone says they do. So I am just going to find out for myself how these players compare to my 1998 standard, the D-E805 (which is pretty good), and report back to you guys!

Oh, and Fish Tank X, what makes you think I was being sarcastic?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 14, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #22 of 31
hey, if your crack is smoking you're not using enough lube.

[size=xx-small]pleed don't ban me, jude, i'll be good. gollum!
wink.gif
[/size]

Quote:

Fish Tank X I think he's just trying to get people to sell their classic discmen so that he can pick them up at budget prices

SLANDER. you'll be hearing from my law-talking-person soon. why would i want all those old, dusty, creaky, smelly, poopy-sounding discmans anyway, when i AND EVERYONE HERE can have a sparkling new GPX player for $25!! i hear they come in colors everywhere.

and the sound? well drop your linen and start your grinnin' pardner, they take those old dismans down.

[size=xx-small]in case anyone is confused, i'm making fun of the flavor of the month price increases for old pcdp's on ebay, based on reviews posted here. i'm really not trying to pull a fast one. i'm just poking a little fun at y'all
tongue.gif
[/size]

Oct 14, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #23 of 31
That overpriced GPX is nothing compared to those hi-tech see-through JWins, MAN!!!
biggrin.gif
Combine the JWin player with a pair of Coby's, you've got yerself portable audio nirvana!

TEAM JWIN!
TEAM COBY!

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #24 of 31
those jwins are looking mighty fine. many have to a/b them with my gpx using the stock phones (let's get real folks, the headphones that come with the player are MEANT to be used with the player. they engineer them carefully so the transducers match the amp output at the headphone jack. replacing them with some rare, expensive headphone is just a waste of money.)

eek.gif
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
hey, if your crack is smoking you're not using enough lube.

[size=xx-small]pleed don't ban me, jude, i'll be good. gollum!
wink.gif
[/size]

SLANDER. you'll be hearing from my law-talking-person soon. why would i want all those old, dusty, creaky, smelly, poopy-sounding discmans anyway, when i AND EVERYONE HERE can have a sparkling new GPX player for $25!! i hear they come in colors everywhere.

and the sound? well drop your linen and start your grinnin' pardner, they take those old dismans down.

Dude, you are freakin hilarious!

ROTFLMAO!

BTW, I preferred "The Dude" avatar to that of Beck. It suits you better.

Oct 14, 2003 at 8:13 PM Post #27 of 31
alright ray, next meet i'll bring my gpx rig and you can bring your (hah!) coby rig and we'll have a shootout.

and anyone who wants to bring their old discmans to the meet (models like the d555, d777, etc.) i've got a box full of these little shiny gpx cd players to trade (depending on how old your trade-in is, an extra $10 or $15 each, please).

i just tried my gpx1234 with my 600ohm akg and turned the volume and bass boost to max (then i could hear the music). i noticed the gpx has a built in distortion circuit, probably trying to emulate the euphonics tube sound.

[size=xx-small]am i milking this too much?[/size]

-edit-
now that is one butt-ugly pcdp:
http://www.cobyusa.com/product/img_p.../L_CXCD565.jpg

Oct 15, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter

now that is one butt-ugly pcdp:
http://www.cobyusa.com/product/img_p.../L_CXCD565.jpg

crap yo... dat's one bad mutha*****a looking PCDP!!!
biggrin.gif

seriously, i see those eggo Coby ripoffs very often, i wonder how they sound? i'd like to walk up to one of them one day with my D66 eggos and let them listen to the original and best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back