I have the Er-6i
Aug 27, 2004 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

The Crayolaman

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
First of all, I am a noobie, though I've been reading on the site for a few months. Next, and more importantly....I'll share my thoughts on the ER-6i that I received 2 nights ago at my Manhattan hotel room.
The packaging: A relatively small (maybe 3 inches by 4 or so) plastic contoured and transparent jacket.
Inside: a small padded nylon ribbed pouch has a velcro flap, and is used for transporting the earphones. One filter changing tool, 2 dense foam tip bullets, two triple flanged whatever their calleds, two filters, and the phones.

Now...bear in mind...I am no expert in this...at all. I ordered the er-4's 2 weeks ago to be overnighted...which by the way, I still have not received from idealsound (thanks a lot). I have nothing to compare these to except a pair of Grado Sr-80's, and a pair of sony x71 whatever the number is.

So...immedately, I plugged into my ipod, inserted the triple flanges (whixh is very simple and creates a very good seal) and plunged into The Gotan Project's Santa Maria (A French trio that creates an ambient electronic latin jazz). I started at half volume...went up to three quarters. Wonderful isolation, and very good sound...again I can't compare these to any other ety's, but I was a little disappointed in the detail. I think I got less than I did out of my Grado Sr-80's. It still had good detail, but for the first three minutes it certainly did not seem like it was worth almost four times the price of the sony ex71's...no, definately not. The main advantage was isolation. The bass was very good. It was tight, well balanced, and certainly deep enough...no complaints there. I then walked to the Duane Reade drugstore on 40th and Broadway...very noisy...but I couldn't hear a thing.

Here is some good news..I hooked it up to my Samuels SR-71...which is still not even fully broken in yet...and it sounded much better. So anyone looking to color code with an ipod, not break the bank, but still want to use an amp...these work great! I guess the ipod is not a terribly good source no matter which headphones you plug in.
I guess I'll really have a much better prospective once everything is broken in and my ety Er-4S finally get here for comparison.
Sorry..this is about the best I can do...I'm no audiophile and don't know squat compared to most in here...I do think I have a pretty good ear and talent for being non-biased... for what it's worth. To any awaiting...enjoy.

My overall thoughts?
Disappointed in the detail, isolation is great, bass is perfect...for me anyway, sounds better with an amp, but as far as any white headphones that plug into the ipod straight and blocking out noise this is as good as it comes, better be for the price!
Best regards,
Eric

Aug 27, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 17
eek3dance.gif

How bout some pics?

Have you ever used the ex-71's? How does the sound compare to the ex71's?
How are the microphonics (sound transferred through the cord)? Also how long is the cord?

Also do you believe that "burning in" the headphones would produce better sound?

oh yeah, did I mention pics?

And did you get them from Discountheadphones.com? How long did it take you to receive the phones?

oh yeah...pics?
icon10.gif
fingersx.gif

wiggle.gif

Aug 27, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 17
How does the amount of bass compared to your SR-80?

Aug 27, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 17
Microphonics very low. It's very similar to the ex-71 with more isolation and better detail, cord is about 5 feet. Sorry, unfortunately I can't post any pics right now until I get my digital cam back.
Best,
Eric

Aug 27, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 17
Congratulations on your purchase!

You have learned the first rule of headphone audio: Multiplying the price of an audio product does not multiply the performance of that product by the same factor.

Oh, and a little bit of advice to you. IdealSound gets hundreds of orders a month. Once in a while, they forget to ship. Give them a call at 1-(408) 803-2885 to fix things up.

And one more thing, the Etyomics might sound even better if you take the Line-out from a Sik Adapter. It can be found HERE

Aug 27, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 17
Bass compared to the Sr-80...straight out of the 'pod....hmmm not as good...but bretty close. I'd say it is respectable for being so small. The bass is pretty tight...maybe tighter than the Sr-80's...it just doesn't seem as full....but I think...judging by most people's disappointment in ety's other phones bass...they will be satisfyied with this.

Thanks DAvid...I did call them and email them....they finally answered last Sunday by email and said they's ship out tuesday...still haven't gotten them yet...they did refund 20 bucks...
Best,
Eric

Aug 27, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #11 of 17
Thannks all...I am awaiting my sendstation Pocket dock with line-out...and the Sik is something to consider...I have to say though...I am noth that disappointed...just a touch in the detail that everyone says is soooo synonymous with the Etymotics. I fly about 100 times a year....and for those days when I just don't feel like lugging around an amp, or when I want to hit the gym, which I almost everyday...this fits the bill perfectly! It is a nice addition for went I want to keep it very simple, which I often do. But for at home when I want to listen in intense detail to something like Gustav Mahler's First Symphony...these will be on the shelf....which Is why I ordered the Er-4's
Regards,
Eric

Aug 27, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #12 of 17
My bit-rate is mostly 192...with some ocassional 224 and 320....the farthest I can tell the difference is the 224. that's where I'd keep it at. As far as bass...don't listen to much trance....I am listening to The Cinematic Orchestra's "Everyday" which starts with a very deep bassline...very deep...Out of the pod...satisfying..out of the SR-71....Mindblowing

Aug 28, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Crayolaman
Bass compared to the Sr-80...straight out of the 'pod....hmmm not as good...but bretty close. I'd say it is respectable for being so small. The bass is pretty tight...maybe tighter than the Sr-80's...it just doesn't seem as full....but I think...judging by most people's disappointment in ety's other phones bass...they will be satisfyied with this.

Thanks DAvid...I did call them and email them....they finally answered last Sunday by email and said they's ship out tuesday...still haven't gotten them yet...they did refund 20 bucks...
Best,
Eric

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back