I have receipted my Predator Today !
Jun 6, 2008 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Rico67

500+ Head-Fier
Today is a great Day.
I have receipted the PREDATOR.
So first impression out of the box...
Looks like all RSA products GREAT.
smaller than my Hornet, very beatiful thing.
SOUND..
i'll compare it with my Hornet ( completely burnin more than 800 Hours on it) non M and use my Grado GS 1000.
So first listening session :
I'm quiet diseapointed :
sound is less natural and open than with the Hornet, frequency are too much separate and sound like there is a loudness...
But, it's sound more punchy than the Hornet with the same level of detail and the RSA signature is here.
So, i'll burn in Predator for some time and tell you inform when sound improve.
If burn'in process run as it did with the Hornet, it'll be a Rolls, if not i'll sale it and keep my Hornet.
So i suspend the sale of the Hornet until time give me the answer.
For instance, out of box, my Hornet is faraway BETTER than the new Predator.
It's a big surprise for me, because all i have read on this forum says the oposite.
Time of burning'll be the answer.

Jun 6, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 36
What I read up here is minimum 500 hours burn in time. Some of guys talking about 1000
eek.gif

This is the reason why I am thinking to buy a used one, fully burned.

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today is a great Day.
I have receipted the PREDATOR.
So first impression out of the box...
Looks like all RSA products GREAT.
smaller than my Hornet, very beatiful thing.
SOUND..
i'll compare it with my Hornet ( completely burnin more than 800 Hours on it) non M and use my Grado GS 1000.
So first listening session :
I'm quiet diseapointed :
sound is less natural and open than with the Hornet, frequency are too much separate and sound like there is a loudness...
But, it's sound more punchy than the Hornet with the same level of detail and the RSA signature is here.
So, i'll burn in Predator for some time and tell you inform when sound improve.
If burn'in process run as it did with the Hornet, it'll be a Rolls, if not i'll sale it and keep my Hornet.
So i suspend the sale of the Hornet until time give me the answer.
For instance, out of box, my Hornet is faraway BETTER than the new Predator.
It's a big surprise for me, because all i have read on this forum says the oposite.
Time of burning'll be the answer.

Don't worry, I thought the same thing when I first got my Predator (it was actually lacking compared to my 500 hour Tomahawk). Now I'm nearing 200 hours, and things sound MUCH better than before, and far surpasses the Tomahawk.

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 36
Yes, i know than it's not fairplay to compare it with an Burnin Hornet, but...
i'm very surprise by so much difference bw them.
I think Burning time is the secret and i can't remember first time with the hornet.
Maybe it was the same sound ( with less power ).
But if i can obtain a great result after burning time (or a comparative quality of sound ), competition bw Hornet / Predator ll be open.
For this time, it doesn't worth a comparaison.
They don't play on the same place.

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry, I thought the same thing when I first got my Predator (it was actually lacking compared to my 500 hour Tomahawk). Now I'm nearing 200 hours, and things sound MUCH better than before, and far surpasses the Tomahawk.

Thank you robojack, i'll take the time to burn the predator.
This post is just to give my firrst impression Out of box.
I believe in RSA Products, and i'm sure..this first impression'll go away in few day.
But it's pleasant to know that we have the same first impression.
Thanks.

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 36
Some people let them burn weeks long and I never said I am o.k. with 1000 hours, however if you get life time transferable warranty, which is the case, then nothing to worry about it. Just read the posts and you will know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralfale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't mention 1000 hours, even 500 hours to get a good sound i think is an utter failure. Do you expect to buy an item and only able to fully utilise it after a year?

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 36
some people believe in burn in, others not.
If you purchase a Predator...
You'll believe in.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 36
Well even Ray says that if you don't want to wait on the burn-in/cap forming period then it might not be for you. With everything that has been written here on the forming period I am surprised that anyone is surprised.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 36
Jamato8, i'm not surprise about the need of the burning time.
I'm just surprise with the gap of sound quality bw my full burning Hornet and the new Predator.
I have make aninstallation for the burning process with a special load and burn it bw the listening sessions.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well even Ray says that if you don't want to wait on the burn-in/cap forming period then it might not be for you. With everything that has been written here on the forming period I am surprised that anyone is surprised.

What is the recommended method of burn-in for a Predator?

Asked by a future Predator owner.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 36
You can play music through it with the headphones attached. Turning it off for a few hours every day or so, as this helps to form the cap faster. And then just listen during this period and enjoy. During break-in, I enjoyed the Predator very much and I also enjoyed hearing the changes. It was like raising a child and seeing all the different periods of growth. Or as I have stated, like having a fine wine age.

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 36
Listen music and when you don't do it,
plug it on the usb of your computer.
Use Wavegenerator.
plug a dedicate load 10 ohm on the headphone line out.
Volume and gain on the midle range.
and let it burn in.

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 36
ordered mine today
looking forward to its arrival
and 500 hours til it (nearly) reaches its peak

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #15 of 36
Cool.
Post your first impressions here.
have you soon own an RSA amp ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif