I have no idea what amp I should get at all. Please help? (Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO)
Oct 29, 2011 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nothing4me

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!

I will be ordering the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO soon since I have heard many good things about it. However, I also heard you probably need an amplifier since it has an impedance of 250 Ohms.

These headphones are for home use only. So, I do not really mind if the amp will be portable or not. I just want a cheap solution. (I I think I should note that I will be connecting the headphones to my laptop or my phone which has the voodoo control application).

If anyone needs the spec sheet, it's here: http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/media//datenblaetter/DT990PRO_DB_E_A3.pdf

Thank you!

Oct 30, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 12
When I had a DT880 600Ohm, I used it with a LC3 tube amp, no complaints at the price with the right tubes it did the job well. But there is a plethora of amps out there, to narrow it down you need to set your max price and choose if you want tube or solid state. I haven't heard the DT990, but if it's anything like DT880 or the T1, I prefer them with a tube amp (as I think the highs need to be tamed a bit, and the sound warmer/smoother). 

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Can you help please? :frowning2:

Ohh you want help now
redface.gif
I just saw you were saying Hi. Well for Beyer's, you can get a great headphone amp like the Lyr and Bitfrost and that would be a perfect beginners setup. Otherwise you can get a small portable headphone amp, such as an iBasso, RSA, etc.

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 12
On eBay you can get low cost single tube headphone amplifiers, starting at $50, ships from China.
I like the Indeed brand because they are willing to improve and redesign their amplifiers.
But even the cheaper brands will do the job.

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 12
you didn't mention your budget.
anyway, 50$ chinese amps are not good enough.
the cheapest amp which will sound good with the dt990 is the Little Dot MK II. 140$ in ebay.

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
you didn't mention your budget.
anyway, 50$ chinese amps are not good enough.
the cheapest amp which will sound good with the dt990 is the Little Dot MK II. 140$ in ebay.

My $70 Muse 6922EH single tube headphone amplifier (shipped from China) powers my 250-Ohm headphones just fine.
But connecting to the cell phone might be a problem.

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #10 of 12
I talked to another member and he said an Fiio E7 or even an E6 would work fine. An E6 is about $25, so it seems like a good deal.

Is the sound difference between an E6 and what you guys are suggesting big?

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
I talked to another member and he said an Fiio E7 or even an E6 would work fine. An E6 is about $25, so it seems like a good deal.

Is the sound difference between an E6 and what you guys are suggesting big?

The tube amps might get louder, but will probably have more distortion. Distortion probably isn't bad at 250 ohms, but the THD and IMD they publish at low impedances (33 ohms) is bad.

The E6 should work, as long as you don't expect to crank the volume crazy high on quiet classical recordings. It handles about 2.2 Vrms, or around 20 mW at 250 ohms. That's enough for 108-109 dB of volume. A common benchmark to aim for is 110 dB, so it's plenty close, just short about 0.3 Vrms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back