I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
May 28, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #631 of 3,761
Thanks for the quick response, Walkingman.

Hmmm, I created FLAC files from my CDs last night. However, I do not have many CDs as I only buy CDs if I listen to them all the time. I may just re-rip them to WAV.

Cheers...

May 28, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #632 of 3,761
Rather than re-ripping, you can just transcode your FLAC archive to wav (use something like dbpoweramp which allows batch conversion). As they are lossless already you won't lose any quality this way.

May 28, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #633 of 3,761
Hmmm, Really? I thought it was not possible to go from compressed lossless to uncompressed lossless?

If I convert from Flac to WAV, would all my tags and album art migrate across too?

May 28, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #635 of 3,761
It is like unzipping a file, the file goes back to its original state.

I just did a test with dbpoweramp, and my tags and album art did stay intact with the new wav files. But tags were never a standard with wav container, meaning the Walkman may not actually be able to read them.

May 28, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #636 of 3,761
Ah, I see. I guess I can always try tonight with an album and if Album art/tags are not playable as WAV on the Sony, then I will need to abort.

Thanks Walkingman, and PrinceOfEgypt.

May 28, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #638 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrinceOfEgypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where would be the best place to buy the X series from? Play or Amazon?
Many thanks!

I always choose Amazon because their returns policy is great and they're based in the UK. Play.com are based in Jersey which means they don't have to abide by our Distance Selling Regulations and their returns policy isn't quite as quibble free!

May 28, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #640 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrinceOfEgypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, WAV does not support tags or album art...

I transfered one WAV album through WMP and it has my album art. I agree though, with this players stellar dac and amp 320 kbs sounds amazing I have no desire for lossless. I have 2350 songs 3 full length movies and have 9.43 gig left. Still adding music
ksc75smile.gif

May 28, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #641 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Photoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CN11, I'm surprise you didn't wait for the US version because it will have Slacker. And where did you order it from? Thanks

Yeah, that's definitely a good point. I wanted to get the player asap though, plus I have never used any online music services like that. So for me, it's probably just unnecessary. It could affect the ability to sell it in the US if something better comes out, but I doubt this player will go anywhere for a long time. I ordered it from Amazon UK, and soozieq has been kind enough to facilitate shipping it over to me here. Thanks again!
ksc75smile.gif

May 28, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #643 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Confirmation that the FX500 and FX1000 are the same.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5717345-post1.html

Awesome leg work!! Thanks for digging up that info! I'm going to have to try a pair at some point after I get the X1000.

May 28, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #645 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by eroarex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could someone compare it with the cowon s9? how's the soundstage?

It's quite a bit wider, I'm talking no sound enhancements on either. Without BBE effects the s9/d2 have one of the narrowest sound stages I've heard. Stuff didn't even sound like proper stereo separation until I turned on BBE. The thing that really put me off the s9 was the bugs and the play/pause button on top got really loose quick. Silly stuff like bugs the hell out of me
ksc75smile.gif

IMHO the X destroys the S9 unless you use the bbe viva effect.

I don't think anything in a stand alone dap will beat or equal this thing, unless sony makes another with the S-master
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back