I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
May 26, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #571 of 3,761
Good evening,

I'm a big fan of the Sony Walkman series and can't wait until I can buy the Sony X with 32GB here in Europe.

But I'm currently unhappy with my Sony NWZ-S638 because of its display: When I'm outside I have a black mirror and can't see anything on the walkman! That's pure crap! My old and lovely Vaio pocket is readable outside very well!

The iPod touch display performs very well outside even in direct sunlight.

How about Sonys new flagship?
Can I easy see and read anything on the display when I'm outside in sunlight etc.?

If not this will be an absolute NO GO from Sony.

May 26, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #572 of 3,761
To be fair T.W.G. what you're asking for isn't imo the Sony's strongest point...

Indoors, the screen is to die for, but outside... it can be quite hard to see in direct sunlight...

Others may disagree with me though... afterall, I haven't had an eye test in 16 years... lol
wink.gif

May 26, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #573 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Soozieq...

The big question (for me at least) - knowing that you've got your ear pressure issues... are you going to keep... or return the FX?

The dilemma I have is this: the W3 still hurt after a couple of hours (size, not pressure), and the JVC's cause pressure build up. But I don't have to return the JVC's for 30 days (if I get a returns note by Friday) - so that gives me long enough to live with them and establish whether the pressure build up is going to be a deal breaker or not.

But yeah, they do go very well with the Sony, it's just taken me a few days to adjust to a different dap, and then different earphones on top. So it's only now really that I've begun to hear the JVC at their best, and that totally clean midrange along with the slamming bass is really quite something! I've never heard such a pure midrange from a dynamic driver before, and that's why the bass is such a hoot, because I'm just not expecting it!

The W3 still sounds good though, it's not as if the JVC makes them sound bad, except perhaps when it comes to acoustic guitar and double bass, and then the JVC take that award. But anyway, I know you're still curious about the W3, so why don't you reconsider borrowing them so you can put your mind totally at rest?? You'll always wonder about it otherwise and there's always the possibility you might find them too warm after the JVC anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Did you turn the brightness to maximum outside in the sun?

May 26, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #574 of 3,761
Duncan, thank your for your answer.

Perhaps I'm a little old school but I think a Walkman is a device that is not only intended for indoor use
icon10.gif
- so I can NOT understand why Sony didn't pay attention to this.
They showed - with the Sony Vaio Pocket (VGF-1) that they CAN produce highend DAPs that perform well in- AND outdoors :)

When you're outside: Can you read the text of the menus (e.g. when I'm searching an artist etc.) or is it impossible like on the S638, A818 etc.?

May 26, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #575 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.W.G /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you're outside: Can you read the text of the menus (e.g. when I'm searching an artist etc.) or is it impossible like on the S638, A818 etc.?

I can read them if the brightness is on maximum, but I could never read my 808/829 outside. I could try taking a photo for you if we ever see sunlight again, but I'm not sure the screen would photograph very well.

May 26, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #576 of 3,761
My brightness is on 4/5 - If we do see the sun again before winter, then I will try on 5/5 and see if that makes the make or break difference...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #577 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can read them if the brightness is on maximum, but I could never read my 808/829 outside. I could try taking a photo for you if we ever see sunlight again, but I'm not sure the screen would photograph very well.

That answer helps me, thanks!

So it should possible to use it on the beach etc. with maximum brightness!?

You could try taking the photo but I have the same opinion like you: The photos won't show it like it realy looks :wink:

So I have to wait till I can buy it :)

btw: Where do you guys import japanese versions of those walkmans?

May 26, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #578 of 3,761
Hmm... I actually find the S630 screen to be readable under the sunlight, but only if the backlight is set to 4/5 or 5/5 brightness...

X-series's screen is also visible outside in the sunlight.

May 26, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #579 of 3,761
Hello all,

recieved my x-1000 from play today!
smily_headphones1.gif
Very impressed thus far. I think the difference in sound quality is quite substantial when compared to my itouch 2nd gen.

It doesn't strike you at first but it's the subtle differences that shine through. For example, I have an acoustic track that i know very very well. When i heard it on the sony for the first time i noticed something i'd never heard before. I realised that the guy playing was using a really hard plastic plectrum! when I did a direct comparison with the itouch I could just about hear it but it was never something i'd realised. I've listened to this track loads as i've been learning to play it. Rather impressive.... It seems to project finer detail a lot better.

Anywho, just my thoughts on it
smily_headphones1.gif

Now i want some of these JVC's
frown.gif

p.s i'm currently pairing it with a pair of Denon c-751's

Adam

May 26, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #580 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stimpy_7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all,

recieved my x-1000 from play today!
smily_headphones1.gif
Very impressed thus far. I think the difference in sound quality is quite substantial when compared to my itouch 2nd gen.

It doesn't strike you at first but it's the subtle differences that shine through. For example, I have an acoustic track that i know very very well. When i heard it on the sony for the first time i noticed something i'd never heard before. I realised that the guy playing was using a really hard plastic plectrum! when I did a direct comparison with the itouch I could just about hear it but it was never something i'd realised. I've listened to this track loads as i've been learning to play it. Rather impressive.... It seems to project finer detail a lot better.

Anywho, just my thoughts on it
smily_headphones1.gif

Now i want some of these JVC's
frown.gif

p.s i'm currently pairing it with a pair of Denon c-751's

Adam

Congrats Stimpy, you've been waiting since the start
smily_headphones1.gif

You need to upgrade from the C751's, you really do. They were great 2 years ago but there's so much better around now, and your X deserves the best! If you think it sounds good with the C751's, then you'll be stunned when you hear it with either the IE7/8, W3, JVC, Turbines, they're all better than the C751.

May 26, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #581 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats Stimpy, you've been waiting since the start
smily_headphones1.gif

You need to upgrade from the C751's, you really do. They were great 2 years ago but there's so much better around now, and your X deserves the best! If you think it sounds good with the C751's, then you'll be stunned when you hear it with either the IE7/8, W3, JVC, Turbines, they're all better than the C751.

This is exactly what I didn't want to hear! lol
smily_headphones1.gif

Currently looking at a pair of Victor FX-500's. Just waiting for word if they are FX1000's in disguise!

Can't drop more than £100 on new phones at this point
frown.gif

May 27, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #582 of 3,761
Has anyone tried an analytical phone with this walkman yet? like a ER4p or PFE?

May 27, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #584 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laokid18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried an analytical phone with this walkman yet? like a ER4p or PFE?

If you go back a few pages, you'll see that Ihatepopupads is using the PFE.

May 27, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #585 of 3,761
No matter what video i transfer, every one seems to not be supported by the player; i thought all major file formats were supported!!

I've managed to get iplayer videos onto it, but nothing else.

Some videos get onto the player but then fail to play on it, whilst others don't even transfer.

I've tried WMV, M4V, MP4 etc.

What am i missing?! & also what's the best software & settings to convert my videos?

Thanks very much, Bobby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back