I have both the Etymotic ER-4P and the Shure E500 but want to only own 1 IEM. Help me decide please!
Apr 20, 2008 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jersey_emt

100+ Head-Fier
As the title says, I am the proud owner of two excellent IEM's: the Shure E500 and the Etymotic ER-4P (with a P-S adaptor cable). However, in an effort to conslidate my headphone collection I am looking to own only a single IEM.

The problem is that I love both of these IEM's. The highs and upper mids of the Etys are amazing, but the lows and lower mids are a bit lacking. The Shures on the other hand have amazing lows and lower mids but the upper mids and highs are a bit lacking. I need to choose one of the following options:

1. Keep the ER-4P's and sell the E500's.
2. Keep the E500's and sell the ER-4P's. Maybe even upgrade to the APureSound cable.
3. Sell both and go with something different altogether.

I love both of my IEM's equally which is why it is a tough choice. I have been seriously considering option #3 and purchasing an IEM that is a 'compromise' between the ER-4P and the E500/SE530. From what I have been reading, the Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10 Pro is an excellent IEM that 'bridges the gap' between the ER-4P and E500/SE530.

What do you think? Should I choose one of the IEMs that I already have, or do I purchase the triple.fi's and dump what I have now? If I choose between the ER-4P or the E500, which one would you choose and why?

Apr 20, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 17
I would say keep them both but if you really need to sell one, I would say ER4s. E500s are more comfortable and suits with many different genres of music. Just my 2c.

Apr 20, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 17
If you own them both and can't decide, none of us can help. My suggestion is go with your gut, if you are leaning one way its probably the way to go.

If it was me I would go with the ER-4Ps no question. With the proceeds from the E500s you could buy a P to S converter and a portable amp. That would improve the bass on the Ety's a fair bit. But remember, I am not you...

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 17
As someone who just switched from Ety 4P's to Q Jays (brief review posted a few days ago), here's what I would do.

Buy the Q Jays.

Sell the Shure.

Keep the Ety until you are satisfied that the Q Jays are "Ety's with bass."

Then sell the Ety and you have a very compact efficient and pretty cheap package. No amp needed, imo because Q Jays don't benefit.

Full disclosure: I am up to step 3...and still own the 4P's until i am convinced i love the q Jays.

If I decided otherwise, I plan to go with the A-Pure recable for the 4P's and sell the Q Jays.

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 17
OH.....i forgot:

then...if I don't like the A-Pure 4P's enough, then I will sell those and buy the SE530. I tried UE's and can't get the fit.

what a sickness!

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 17
If I were in your position I'd either:

Sell Both and get Triple Fi 10s

or

Sell E500, invest in APureSound cable for ER4P and go with that

I myself have taken the second option, however sold my TF10s

Apr 20, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were in your position I'd either:

Sell Both and get Triple Fi 10s

or

Sell E500, invest in APureSound cable for ER4P and go with that

I myself have taken the second option, however sold my TF10s

X2

Apr 20, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 17
Another option might be selling both and getting Sleek Audio SA6's, with their customizable sound via their VQ system you have a good chance of finding the sound you're looking for or you can change it up easily whenever you want if that's your thing.

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 17
My suggestion: Keep both.

Since you state you "love" both, why get rid of one? I doubt you'll ever find one IEM that'll suit you just perfectly. My guess is you'll sell one, get something different, not like it as much, miss the IEM you chose to sell, and go lookin' in the sale forum for a replacement pair.

It happens all the time.

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My suggestion: Keep both.

Since you state you "love" both, why get rid of one? I doubt you'll ever find one IEM that'll suit you just perfectly. My guess is you'll sell one, get something different, not like it as much, miss the IEM you chose to sell, and go lookin' in the sale forum for a replacement pair.

It happens all the time.

Also very true. I dont know why I didnt think of that. Awesome idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back