I have about 57 years to live- how long do you have left?
Jun 26, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #31 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a biologist, I couldn't let this go
smily_headphones1.gif
It's not that simple.

The brain is not "wired" and does not run on electricity, despite the common perception as such. Neurons are not infinite, and neither is the number of connections between them. The brain as an organ is not something mystical, but it is complex and poorly understood. The mind/body/soul debate has been ongoing for a long time, probably due to the simple fact that it is nearly impossible to test in a controlled way. Consciousness/mind/soul may be a physical consequence of a sufficiently connected neural net. Or it may be a uniquely organic or human trait. I don't know, and neither does anyone else!

I prefer real beer, real women and real friends, and I'd be happy to meet Head-Fi'ers now to one (a real beer, that is
wink.gif
).

Sorry about that. I am no biologist but I wanted to express my feeling toward death. I have a slight idea how complicated is the brain and understand the most trivial of it. The reason why I "pictured" the brain as a PCB might be because I'm a software engineer (nowhere near biology). The light you turned on is very appreciated. I also know that nothing have been fully tested about what happen after death but as I stated, I was just merely trying to express my toughts.

I do also prefer real beer but it's quite hard to drink a beer with someone in asia when you're in america. That's what I meant.

I know that I might not be really clear but it's because english is not my first language. I do hope I'll get better as time pass.

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #33 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Life Expectancy: 74.34
Lower Quartile : 66.89
Median Lifetime: 76.96
Upper Quartile : 84.87

66 - 21 = 45 more years. damn i gotta start studying more now
frown.gif

Priorities young Crappy. Gotta start PARTYING more!

51 years for me... how the heck did it give me a 76 and you a 66? I'm a smoker for ****'s sake. Of course I also listed my current, past, and any future planned jobs as being manually oriented. Sitting at a desk makes me itchy, unless I've already lifted my 3 tons for the day, in which case I'm fine at my own desk.

What's really interesting is the breakdown of how certain factors have affected the results.

Quote:

If you do not smoke, your life expectancy would be 3.41 years longer

Really? That's all? Pfft.

Quote:

If you have 2-3 drinks per day, your life expectancy would be 0.44 years longer

I listed less than one drink per day. I'm supposed to be drunk more to live longer? Interesting.

Quote:

If you do not drive, your life expectancy would be 0.47 years longer

Ok, I'll start riding a bike on major highways then. Yay for science.

Quote:

If you become a conditioning exercizer, your life expectancy would be 0.58 years longer

And I could spend 3 years of my life in a gym. No thanks.

Quote:

If you consume all 5 types of food everyday, your life expectancy would be -0.00 years longer

I put down that I consume 4 of their 5 food types on a daily basis. Fruits are a bit lacking in my diet, but it's good to know that they don't matter.

Quote:

If you sleep 7 hours a day, your life expectancy would be 0.51 years longer

What's wrong with my 8 average? Screw this thing, I predict I'm going to be hit by lightning soon, the way it's been hitting Florida over the last week or so.

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #34 of 64
Both calculators said 80 years old, so that's 52 years left for me.

I'm sort of surprised that I've been within my optimum weight range since I was 16, though it has gone up and down a fair bit. I suppose it would be better if I was in that weight range and in good shape though.
tongue.gif

I liked this part, so clean cut:

The three biggest positive factors that you have going for you are:
1. Personality type
2. Education
3. Weight

The two biggest negative factors that you have going for you are:
1. Gender
2. Smoking

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #35 of 64
I didn't count that you're Canadian. That should definitely factor. Maybe it does, just that it factors as a positive AND a negative and thus negates itself.

"How can you hate Canada? It's like hating white bread." - The Where the Hell is Matt dude. (AKA Matt)

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #37 of 64
Yeah, your from Canada- add like 50 years to that...

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #38 of 64
32 years left for me. Just enough to see my kids have their own kids and I can spoil them rotten so they drive their parents bat**** crazy.

Is it just me or do the charts in the PDF that the OP linked to look like the 1040 Income Tax Rate tables at first glance? Must be my advanced years...
redface.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #39 of 64
Life Expectancy: 83.55
Lower Quartile : 75.93
Median Lifetime: 86.06
Upper Quartile : 93.89

86 - 23 = 63 more years?! Damn life is long!

Quote:

If you do not have any sexual partner, your life expectancy would be 0.35 years longer

No sexual partner for a "great" 4 month more when I'll be old and not able to feed myself... I prefer to have a sexual partner...

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #40 of 64
Slightly morbid poll!

I'll roll with it though
cool.gif

I don't want to jinx myself though so I won't say an age!

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #41 of 64
47 years left.
Meaning that I probably will not catch up my grandfather, who's turning 94 this summer...

Jun 29, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #43 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One said 85 and the other 95, which is about right given my family's history. Average age of death of my great-grandparents and their siblings is around 93.

You are 21 right now, and have estimated 85-95 years left. Wow!
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back