I have a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80 Ohm) - Should I buy a DT990 Pro (250 Ohm)?
Jan 23, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #16 of 19
I will either get a T1 or HD800 If I can, they are not sold in my country and amazon/ebay aren't very viable, so I might ask someone to return one for me while returning to home from US, the T90 Jubilee edition also seems nice, yet amazon started charging 50% customs deposit for some reason, so I couldn't part with ~900$'s

Recently missed someone returning from Germany, a T1 from Germany would've been nice, yet amazon.de is even more expensive than the us so finding a cheaper one would've been challenging

Jan 24, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #17 of 19
I indeed returned them, getting a new pair replacement by Jan 27th. Man is Amazon fast, no return shipping or restocking fees either

I think I'll try my best to not fit this pair to my head, because I think the only reason I had these troubles with my pair is because I bent them out of the shape they came in.

As for the 990's, if you already do not like the highs of the 770, chances are you won't like the 990's sound as the 990's have the highest treble and highest bass of the beyers. They have a very drastic V sound signature, so much so that many get the 880's because they have a more neutral sound. 990's with 250ohms are also much quieter on mobile devices, I have to leave my Samsung S5 on max volume to achieve even comfortable listening volumes.
I for one like the huge treble and bass because it brings lots of color to the rock/metal music I listen too.
The 990's have a much more acquired taste that usually drives many back to the 770 or 880's more neutral sound.

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #18 of 19
I own DT990pro. In spite of their relatively low price, they are quite revealing. They're also fairly difficult to drive. Run them with an E7 and a MP3, and they can indeed sound overly bright. OTOH, use a good amplifier and a fine source, and their tonal balance changes. IME, they sit just below HD600, assuming one can feed them well. YMMV

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #19 of 19
I also started improving my music collection after years, started enriching the collection with 320kbps mp3's and itunes/~250's - I'm a big fan of practicality so lossless/flac's aren't an option yet, a bit of the initial disappointment probably originated from bad audio

For anyone looking to buy the DT770/80, I would say they are drivable by mobile devices, definitely drivable if you don't have excess amounts of low-quality audio music, but an amp definitely helps for those moments where you need to extra gain when that gain should've already been there in the audio (some movies for example have very low audio levels, for some reason ...)

I was seeking a headphone mostly out of curiosity and as the occasional backup/night-time solution to not wake people up with speakers, I guess DT770 was a nice choice after all

I'm definitely going to design and 3d-print a practical yet robust cable tangler for the DT770's cable though, checked out thingiverse but couldn't find a perfect design, the cable is the most-irritating part of the headphone (this comes very close: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6999)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back