I have $1K to get a pair of powered monitors... suggestions?
Aug 8, 2012 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

GuyDebord

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all, Im looking for fidelity and not volume, balance and not emphasis in a freq range. They will be used in a computer setup for near-field listening, dac is the burson da-160. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 11
Thanks, yes, budget can be stretched a bit. How about the Focal CMS-40's? are the Yamaha's better?

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 11
at that price point I wonder how do they compare to pasive speakers + ampl,
I`m a bit sceptic at active monitors nonprofessional capabilities, but a lot of people here swear on them...

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
at that price point I wonder how do they compare to pasive speakers + ampl,
I`m a bit sceptic at active monitors nonprofessional capabilities, but a lot of people here swear on them

If I had the money, I would go for a couple nice actives from Genelec, Yamaha, Fostex or ADAMs. Active speakers are bound to have a flatter response than passives since there is no need to match amplification with them compared to passives. I'm on a passive system for home theater since I don't have the fortune of wiring 5 mains plug to for a fully active 5.1 setup though.

The disadvantage of actives for consumers lies in the fact that they have a flat response that would clash with untreated rooms compared to passive gear whose placement and room may somehow synergise with the bad FR to provide a nicer sound. With actives you can't get away with EQ and stuffs that is for sure.

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 11
The Emotivas look interesting, but sadly I need a front ported monitor. Im leaning towards the Focal CRM-50's

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #10 of 11
I'm happy with the AirMotiv 6's right now. No sub required which is nice. I think many people would also be happy with them. 

Separate sentence: I hope to eventually get the Focal Solo 6 BE as my next monitor however.

I think that the CMS 50 would fit your application nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back