I hate you all
Jan 20, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

I hate you all

Thanks!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 20, 2002 at 9:23 AM Post #17 of 24
the trick is to become obsessed with something esle which is cheaper than audiophilia. like paper clip collections. it's all about getting your mind stuck in a rut, you just have to pick the best <cheapest> rut.

that said, i will return to my iPod ($400) and TA ($free) and HD600s ($200). or maybe my Etys ($270)... hmmm... what to listen to... lets see my collection (++$1500)....

Jan 20, 2002 at 7:27 PM Post #18 of 24
It's coming back to me now...

I remember taking an innocent peek at top of line headphones (at this time, I thought my $50 Sonys were pretty swell) and wondering at the person who'd spend hundreds on a headphone. But that was enough, I marveled, they plugged these several hundred dollar phones into a similarly-priced headphone amp.

Perhaps the worst problem is that everyone else in the world still thinks this way. How am I going to explain to my family and friends that I'm plugging $150 headphones into a $150 amp into a cd player that lacks anti-skip and bass boost? How can I look them in them in the eye and use words like "warm" and "detailed"?

Jan 20, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

How am I going to explain to my family and friends that I'm plugging $150 headphones into a $150 amp into a cd player that lacks anti-skip and bass boost? How can I look them in them in the eye and use words like "warm" and "detailed"?

Don't even try. Just pour your guts out to us here.
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #22 of 24
Has anyone thought about maybe starting Audiophiles Anonymous? or Head-Fi Anonymous?

I don't have a major high end system. What I consider to be a very good mid-fi system. Sounds damned good. Add it all together though, and hardware is about $10K. Let's not even talk about software, and I've got a fairly small collection, especially since the ex got almost a thousand LPs.

I'm not going back to check who mentioned getting too hung up in technology to enjoy the music. That's one thing I've tried to bring into a lot of these threads. After all, that is supposed to be why we're all so addicted to this whole mess.

Yes, I'm well aware that I can get better sound. I am also aware that it will cost me 2 to 10 times what I've spent for a 2 to 8 percent gain in sound quality. I'm happy with what I've got. Find something that makes you happy and enjoy it.

Like all of us, you will upgrade. However, don't obsess on equipment. Obsess on MUSIC.

Welcome to Hell and enjoy.

Jan 21, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #24 of 24
I get the same way about shortwave radios and ham rigs. I've got way too many of 'em, and not enough time to enjoy any of 'em.

'Popular Communications' magazine had a picture of a fellow shortwave listener a few years back that really set me thinking. It showed a guy sitting back in a recliner, twiddling the dial of a cheap 'needle and dial' pocket shortwave radio, thoroughly enjoying himself.
I've got umpteen radios to choose from, and a variety of antennas to hook 'em up to - but as the guy in the recliner already knew, the enjoyment lies in the listening - and not necessarily the equipment.

Lots of folks pray to the good Lord to show them a sign. I pray that He'll teach me how to read 'em!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back