I Had a Hearing Test Today
Dec 10, 2002 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

FCJ

Propz go out to his homeez at Burrz-Brownz!
Given the recent comments about hearing loss in people over 40, I decided to have a hearing test.

I went to the Audiologist today for the test (if anyone in NJ is interested in a good Audiologist, send me a PM). In total, it took about 30 minutes. The good news is that my hearing checked out really well--I'm in the "standard range."

Since I was there, I asked the Audiologist about headphone usage. I told him that I generally listen to headphones for about 30 minutes in the morning and 1-2 hours in the evening, and I use an SPL meter so that the sound is between 60-80db. He told me that, according to OSAH standards, listening duration is the key. If you listen to music through headphones for long periods at, say, over 85db, you may cause hearing loss. I point this out because I know there are some members who listen to heaphones at work, possibly for long periods of time.

The doctor also told me that I should have my hearing checked every 2-3 years, sooner if I thought I was having a problem.

I'm glad I had the test done (it cost me $80) because it put my mind to rest. I would recommend it highly to anyone. I also recommend investing in an SPL meter (I bought a manual one at Radio Shack) to check just how loud you are playing your music. You'll be surprised at the results.

Dec 10, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 22
Tell us more about the SPL meter. How does it work? I believe you are using it with headphones. Would it work properly with in the canal ear buds like Etys?

Dec 10, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by bubbaj
Tell us more about the SPL meter. How does it work? I believe you are using it with headphones. Would it work properly with in the canal ear buds like Etys?

No, I don't think it will work with Etys. Here's the one I have from Radio Shack. I put it up against one of the earpads, I turn the dial to, say 60db, and I play music. It goes from -10 to plus 10, so if music is playing and the meter goes to +10, that should mean 70db. If it overshoots the +10 I jump the dial up to 70db and take it from there. I may be oversimplifying things, but this seems to work.

Dec 10, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 22
BTW, you don't need a SPL meter to estimate loudness (up to 90dB) with Etymotics. There was a thread about this a few months ago. Essentially you just burn a CD with a 1kHz test tone that's about 90dB down. The human hearing threshold is close to 0dB at that frequency, and Don Wilson confirmed that the Ety transducers are fairly linear. Thus, if you play the CD and adjust the volume of your amp so that you just barely can't hear it, you can be confident that the loudest signal you'll hear at that position of the volume knob is 90db.

Dec 11, 2002 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 22
FCJ,

Glad to hear that the audio portion of your head works well!!! Hopefully you will get many wonderful years of listening enjoyment from your audio gear.

Also, thanks for the advice about the SPL meter!! I'm sure we are causing damage all the time by not paying attention to how loud things truly are, so it's nice to have a meter to help with accuracy!!

Dec 11, 2002 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

The good news is that my hearing checked out really well--I'm in the "standard range."

I pass right by an occupational hearing clinic nearly every day. Think I'll get a test done as well.

Did they tell you the high and low frequency points your hearing rolls off?

Dec 11, 2002 at 10:13 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
I pass right by an occupational hearing clinic nearly every day. Think I'll get a test done as well.

Did they tell you the high and low frequency points your hearing rolls off?

From what I remember, he only went up to about 8-10. My hearing started to roll off about there, I believe, but was still within a "normal range." I should have asked for a copy of the results--I may have to call back and do so.

Dec 12, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
BTW, you don't need a SPL meter to estimate loudness (up to 90dB) with Etymotics. There was a thread about this a few months ago. Essentially you just burn a CD with a 1kHz test tone that's about 90dB down. The human hearing threshold is close to 0dB at that frequency, and Don Wilson confirmed that the Ety transducers are fairly linear. Thus, if you play the CD and adjust the volume of your amp so that you just barely can't hear it, you can be confident that the loudest signal you'll hear at that position of the volume knob is 90db.

Anyone have any idea where I get a 1kHz tone I can burn? Is there something I can use to synthesize one?

-Andy

Dec 12, 2002 at 5:17 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
Anyone have any idea where I get a 1kHz tone I can burn? Is there something I can use to synthesize one?

-Andy

Do a search for CD4000 pink noise on eBay. The test disc has about 70 minutes of pink noise along with a 1KHz tone at the beginning of the disc. Mediamaster is the company, so you could even do a search by seller. Their price on eBay is $9.99 or so, and on their web site it's almost $24!!!!

Dec 12, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 22
Glad to hear that you passed the test!

For test tones, drop by trueaudio.com and download the FREE copy of TrueRTA. it has a built in test tone generator, along with pink and white noise. The free version also has a real time analyzer, but the resolution is rather coarse.

A word of caution: the level will change when you put the cans on your head. For a better read try to get the mic inside the earcup while you are wearing the phones.

As mentioned above, you can also calculate the spl from the manufacturers efficiency number, the rms voltage to the phones, and the impedence. This requires an rms meter and math, but it is pretty easy. If you go this route, use excel to generate a curve of voltage vs db for your phones. That way you only have to do the math once!

gerG

Dec 13, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #12 of 22
Thanks FCJ. I just went out and got a Radio Shack digital Sound Level Meter (part number 33-2055), which cost about $50, and provides loudness readings directly. It turns out that my average listening level is 82 db, and I got this reading by placing the meter at about the same distance from each of the AKG K1000 speakers as my ears. Thanks again for your info. BTW, the analog version of the meter costs about $34.

Dec 13, 2002 at 7:17 AM Post #13 of 22
Thanks for the info on the guages and cost!! I am seriously thinking about getting one of the cheaper units to make sure I don't destroy what hearing I have by ignorantly blasting the volume in my cans!!!

Great thread guys!!!

Dec 13, 2002 at 2:28 PM Post #14 of 22
Here is a site I came across that sells a hearing measurement CD and other equipment. Notice too the picture on how to use the Radio Shack sound meter with headphones. They also provide a free hearing screening that I plan on trying a little later tonight.

http://www.digital-recordings.com/audiocd/audio.html

I haven't tried any of this so this is not an endorsement of any of their products but rather another place to look for information.

Dec 14, 2002 at 3:45 AM Post #15 of 22
If you are over 30, or if you have history of hearing loss in your family, you should see a qualified audiologist to have a hearing test to establish a baseline of your hearing now, before it may change. After that, you should have it tested every 3-5 years, unless you notice a difference or develop a symptom such as tinnitus (ringing or buzzing in one or both ears).

FYI - Standard hearing tests only go up to 8Khz. Also, you cannot give yourself a hearing test at home. No matter how good your audio system is, it is not calibrated. You need to be in a fairly sound-proof test booth, and wear a highly calibrated pair of headphones. The headphones are connected to a specially calibrated tone generator which the audiologist controls.

The audiologist tests your ability to hear single tones at various frequencies and audio levels, the results are then plotted on a simple graph. Also, your ability to understand perhaps 20 spoken words at various low levels is tested. Like an eye test, the degree to which you correctly understand the spoken words will reveal which consonant sounds, and hence which frequencies may be affected by a loss.

Perfect hearing, like perfect vision is a misnomer. There is a broad range of acceptable hearing at low, mid, and high frequencies. Also, the standardized range of acceptable hearing changes with age.

To protect your hearing, whatever your age, always wear hearing protection when operating lawn equipment, discharging firearms, or working around heavy machinery. If you go to clubs, you can wear discrete foam earplugs that no one can see to allow you to enjoy the music while protecting your hearing.

Extended exposure to sound, even headphone listening, at levels above 85 db can damage your hearing. Learn to enjoy headphone listening at a slightly lower level. The occassional headphone listening session at a slightly elevated level is probably not going to cause any permanent loss. If your headphones only sound good at high volume, maybe it is time for a new pair of headphones, or a better amp.

The poster boy for hearing damage due to extended periods of headphone listening at loud levels is Pete Townsend of the Who. He suffered better than 90% hearing loss in both ears from years of practicing his guitar riffs at loud volume levels while listening through headphones.

This is in addition to whatever damage his hearing suffered from years of playing onstage. Pete has also has stated that years earlier he suffered permanent hearing damage in one ear from a stage explosive charge, that was several times the recommended charge, set off by Keith Moon as a prank on one of their early American television appearances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back