I got my Redwine iMod-ed iPod today,WOW!
May 2, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #152 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riboge
boodi ...

any chance to know if there's better bass with the rockbox too ? I'm still burning it ;
the regular firmware imod seems to improve nicely on detail and stage , but also it does quite a 1 note - 1 thump bass only
I'm still burning it though

and about dynamic spread ? is there any improvement ?
The stock ipod is quite dead flat dynamically , and the imod doesn't change that much on this too.

May 2, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #153 of 165
boodi,

When you say "dynamic spread" are you talking about volume? Frequency (highs and low)? Or both?

My new iMod has some rolled off highs but they are abating as is the lessening of note decay (cymbals and triangles). The bass is no problem at all. I have never had any problem with high and low volume.

I am using a Xin SM3 (with the four swiches) and a new set of AKG K81DJs and all seems fine to me, even when I compare the same rig, but substitute a Sony D-EJ2000 pcdp.

Maybe, i am just "suffering" from the placebo/wallet effect!!!

May 3, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #154 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
boodi,

When you say "dynamic spread" are you talking about volume? Frequency (highs and low)? Or both?

My new iMod has some rolled off highs but they are abating as is the lessening of note decay (cymbals and triangles). The bass is no problem at all. I have never had any problem with high and low volume.

I am using a Xin SM3 (with the four swiches) and a new set of AKG K81DJs and all seems fine to me, even when I compare the same rig, but substitute a Sony D-EJ2000 pcdp.

Maybe, i am just "suffering" from the placebo/wallet effect!!!

No problem with high and low volume is just that the volume of different tracks/instruments/voices are a bit flat , on the same dynamic line ..

So I meant the ability to resolve&process micro and macro dynamics

My imod has just fine highs and I wouldn't call them rolled off really but smooth , definitely , not an hint of harshness .

The bass still is more a 1-thump kind whatever the instrument producing it instead .

May 3, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #155 of 165
I've played a bit with the imod and the EQ sets , and even if I don't plan to use it in the future I'm actually enjoying the Flat preset ( which seems to put mids and upperbass a lil bit more upfront and subsequentially get lil bit more fun to my ears , without adding a sensible level of distortion ) ; it's unlucky that the various other eq preset add more then a bit of distortion to lineout signal because I've found the "Spoken Word" EQ preset to get the imod sound signature in some way more close to my other full rig sources (and to my ct470 pdcp which is my reference portable for comparo , and which is less detailed and overall more compressed sounding then the imod ) and to sound incredibly good to my ears and my balance preference - in my system
imod-> Jenvnig Supra Dac-> Gilmore Reference-> Grado ps-1(/hp-2 / recabled hd6x0)

it's nice to imagine how good would it be the sound distortionless
this preset brings the mids forward ( and harsh
frown.gif
) , and add a nice impact in the sound
top of this the jenving are very high resolving IC cables , so distortions become fastidious ..

Now if someone tells me Rockbox let you eq the sound and do not add distortions ..

Even if it's bit premature and still burning ( 70hr now ) I must say that I'm pretty satisfied user of an imod , and it is probably the best portable source I've come listening up to now . I still like bit more the pana ct470 line out for the fun factor and the very nice sound quality , but I have to admit the imod is sensibly more refined , and the possibility to equalize my Imod without problems becomes very intriguing now.

I remember signing up in head-fi 5 years ago to start questioning about the best possible portable player and best possible portable solution , and I started my journey on the pana ct470 , with some other vintage pdcp coming along .. it seems time for very good portable sources is finally coming .

May 3, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #156 of 165
Quote:

I've played a bit with the imod and the EQ sets , and even if I don't plan to use it in the future I'm actually enjoying the Flat preset

Is the "Flat" EQ any different from setting the EQ to "Off"? I would think that they are the same.

May 11, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #157 of 165
Wow, I am so convinced. Now that I'm going 100% portable (again), I'm definitely doing this. The recolor just makes it that much sweeter.

As it so happens, I'm from Meriden (where Vinnie is located). I think that in a month or so he'll be getting a personal visit
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 11, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #158 of 165
Setting the EQ to off bypasses the EQ.

Setting the EQ to Flat means the signal is going through the EQ, but no gain or cut is being applied.

Sep 1, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #159 of 165
to continue the sentiments of the OP, i just wanted to add that i got my imod yesterday and WOW, what a difference!!! i could not believe that an ipod can sound this good!! the sound is extremely clean, and i can totally hear what vinnie is talking abuout in terms of clearing the signal path. vocals come alive and literally sounds like as if the person is singing directly to your ears. bass, highs, mids all seemed to be improved. instruments sounds true to their offerings and i can hear ever pick of the guitar accurately. i am very very impressed. i only have about 2 hours burn in, so i can't even imagine how this sound can be much better later.

right now i'm connecting a generic mini to mini cable from the iMod iPod to the PA2v2. and if this sounds good already, i can only imagine the sound after getting a better interconnect (cryo) and a better amp (supermacro iv).

people with imods have said that its worth every penny. i'd have to agree. work seems extremely long today!!! can't wait till i go home....

Sep 3, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #161 of 165
i was wondering how to burn in the imod. i read that the blackcaps inside requires 200-300 hours of burn in... is it just a matter of playing music on my ipod or do i have to connect it to a headphone/amp?

Sep 3, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #162 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
i was wondering how to burn in the imod. i read that the blackcaps inside requires 200-300 hours of burn in... is it just a matter of playing music on my ipod or do i have to connect it to a headphone/amp?

Pretty sure it needs to be connected to an amp.

Sep 4, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #163 of 165
i see. thanks.

have you noticed any significant improvements on the imod after it is fully burned it?

Sep 4, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #164 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
i see. thanks.

have you noticed any significant improvements on the imod after it is fully burned it?

Yes. The treble was noticably smoother, and the bass fuller, after 100 hours.

Sep 4, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #165 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Yes. The treble was noticably smoother, and the bass fuller, after 100 hours.

yeah I can confirm that , and also that it seems to set to the sound only after 300hr , and improvments are really nice .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back