I got my Grado SR80's
Sep 14, 2008 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Bradrj1029

100+ Head-Fier
Well when I first got my heaphones, they didnt even sound good. They didnt even sound as good as a cheap pair of headphones that I have. They seem to sound a bit better in sound now that I have a couple hours of listening into them. Any tips on how to burn them in good? And also can someone give me a link to where i can get HD414 pads? Because I here people put them on grado headphones and liked them. Thank you

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 35
just listen to them and enjoy
wink.gif
don;t worry about burn-in for those grados.

I personally had no need to use 414 pads, since I washed my pads in water and it's very comfortable for my 325is now.

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just listen to them and enjoy
wink.gif
don;t worry about burn-in for those grados.

I personally had no need to use 414 pads, since I washed my pads in water and it's very comfortable for my 325is now.

So washing the pads in water will make them more comfortable?

What good does washing the pads do? Im sorta a noob at this stuff
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradrj1029 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So washing the pads in water will make them more comfortable?

What good does washing the pads do? Im sorta a noob at this stuff
biggrin.gif

yup. I washed my pads (they come off/ reattach easily) in warm water with shampoo. This softens up the hard material covering the pads and will be much much softer.
Before you go out and buy 4 different kind of pads, try that one first, as it will not cost you any money.

Oh, and dry the washed pads first before re-attaching them
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 35
You can also bend the headband so the clamping isn't so brutal.

SR80 = bomb diggity for rock especially when paired with a PPAv2

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

any specific kind of shampoo? is pantene good? lol

[nerdy joke]
pantene improves the bass, but muddles the midrange, I use dove because it makes it more transparent while improving treble extension
[/nerdy joke]

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 35
Hmm. Your problems may not be related to burn-in or to the quality of the phones. I had a pair of SR60s, which were, frankly, revelatory. They were the first big step up from the PortaPros I had been using (and, ironically, I'm currently using again.)

Thing is, I've never heard the SR80s. But I've seen it written many times that they are hard to drive and they need competent amplification to really shine. I'd be interested to know whether you are using them with an amp. or attempting to drive them with the anemic output from an iPod? Can you give more details on your setup?

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Im just running them off the headphone jack on the front of my pc. My headphones seem to play alooot louder when I have them hooked up to my 30gb Ipod video 5.4 gwn

If you know anyone who has a good headphone amp, or if you have access to a vintage amp or receiver (in the old days, some, but not all, audio manufacturers included quality HP stages in their products) I would urge you to try your SR80s with that equipment.

Wow. That was a long sentence.

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #12 of 35
MMM these pads smell soo much better. I washed them with warm water and Pantene Pro-v shampoo lol. I love the sound of my headphones actually. I have a JVC Receiver from the 90's that i plugged my headphones in with the 1/4 attachment. They sounded good on the Receiver. Better than on my PC. I actually went into the settings on my pc and changed the wave volume up a bit and it made the headphones sound louder and sound better.
smily_headphones1.gif
I love these headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back