I got kicked out of Stereo Exchange
Apr 17, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #166 of 181
(Admittedly, I did not read all 11 pages of this thread...)

@marcoarment
Why did you not send Stereo Exchange a letter/email in advance and ask for permission to use their products to write a review on your site?

Why should they trust you upon showing up in their store without disclosing in advance of your intended objectives.

Maybe they prefer not to be associated with your blog?
(That is their prerogative.)

As to criticisms about "customer service", the OP is clearly not acting in the capacity of a customer, unless he was there to purchase products which he would keep and review in his own premises.

I have been to Stereo Exchange over a dozen times, bought a Chord Mojo there in November; only the last couple have they discontinued confusing me with David Salomon. :wink:

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #167 of 181
Hmmm...so the following is all IMO. I'm not sure that anybody needs to 'pre-announce' to a retail store their motivation(s) for visiting the store -- whether it's a store review, showrooming, a product review, etc. It's part of owning a retail business in today's business landscape.

Does a restaurant or theater critic do this? No. To be sure, this is not 100% analogous, as the food/art critic purchases a product/service.

But the fact remains that their visit is unannounced and is done primarily to write a review. I can assure you several restaurants and playwrights/production companies don't want to be 'associated with reviewer's blog' when it's a poor review. That said, if the restaurant somehow figured out that the food critic was visiting, I'm pretty sure that kicking them out might be detrimental to their business.

On a side note, what he writes on his blog should be evaluated for what it is. If he chooses to mention his store experience with them, then what he says is out there for public consumption with all the risks and benefits associated with publishing the written word.

Honestly, their business logic is lacking. The OP's visit could have ended up as a positive experience for everyone -- it's just not that hard!

FWIW, their aggregate rating on Yelp is 2 stars. For the most part, the customer service ratings seem to support the OP's experience.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/stereo-exchange-new-york

Whether they like it or not, the world is changing and they can adapt, or...

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #168 of 181
@GearMe
You make excellent points, about pre-announcing oneself. Your post has made me think more about the OP's behavior.

Intent to buy headphones;
I am suspicious about the OP's stated intent to purchase headphones to take home and review. In those situations the reviewer anonymously orders headphones to review and AFAIK orders them either online or over the phone; the retail establishment is not part of the review.

The Lounge;
If the OP's intent is to write a review about Stereo Exchange as a retail establishment, then IMO it can go either way; anonymous or pre-announced. The OP can walk in the store, as a "civilian" and just act like any other person, "hi, I am looking at a bunch of headphones, early in my research, not sure which to buy, is it OK for me to hang-out in your headphone loung? I read all about it." The OP is just any other person, up to SE as to how much time they want to spend with him.

In the second scenario, he sends them a letter/email in advance and pre-announces his visit and his intent, and SE is informed in advance and can decide whether they want to dance.

----------------------------------------------

So, as I see it, the OP did neither; was not a civilian, and did not pre-announce. Once he identified himself as a member of the trade, he was no longer "a customer", how he want treated IMO is irrelevant to how I would expect SE to treat a walk-in random person customer.

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #169 of 181
Yeah...he did open himself up to it. Had he kept his intent to himself, he may not have faced the extent of the rude treatment he received.

That said, SE still doesn't seem to treat people well...customers, reviewers, etc. Take a look at the feedback on Yelp.

Seems like ownership could benefit from some time in Nordstrom school! :wink:

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #170 of 181
So, I visited the Stereo Exchange in NYC today, and overall I had a very pleasant experience! I dont know if it was the owner I talked with or not, but there were only two older men there who helped me with everything i wanted. I got to try the HD 800 S, HE-400S, and the LCD-X. Interesting and funny story though: the guy who helped me couldnt find the right cable for the HD 800S, and tried forcing in an HD 700 cable (which has 1/8th inch connections into the drivers) into the 800S. I was just shaking my head internally, but it just made me laugh at how little he knew about audio connections, because he also tried plugging in a 1/4 inch into and 1/8th inch input... so, I just rolled with it and gently corrected him, and eventually I got to try the headphones. They let me listen for as long as I wanted, and I even got to plug in my own music to audition the headphones. This was on a Saturday, and I dont think any of the owners were there, but the person who helped me was very nice.
Another note at the end however, he said, "You're not going to buy any of these online are you? Because people actually do that. I mean, nothing is stopping you from doing that though." And look, that's understandable, because they are a business. I told him I wouldn't buy those headphones online, which is a lie because that's where the discounts are. But my experience was very different from the OP, but I didnt meet the owner's wife, so there's that. If I did, it may have turned out differently...

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #171 of 181
I had a very bad experience at the store as well as a customer. Went in to purchase something nice for my mother expecting to pay around 2-5000 for a pair of speakers and receiver. Met a sales person named Michael who helped me initially and was great. Let me listen to stuff and try different things out but initially he didn't want to help me that much until I told him I knew a little about audio equipment and what I current had at home (at the time I think I had some Martin Logan speakers and a Marantz receiver). Then he was happy to chat me up. After I tried all I wanted and came backa gain with my mother so she could pick out the color that's when he was impatient and didn't want to help at all once pricing was involved. He got loud and basically said we should get out and stop wasting his time. Another rep heard this and Ron came over to help. He did well and even gave me a discount and ended up with a pair of totem rain makers and an Integra receiver. 

Stereo Exchange ain't the best for customer service in my opinion and never buying from there again. 

That aside the OP shouldn't have been treated the way he was. Understand that there are people that would buy from the internet because sometimes you run into situations like the OP ran into at a retail location. Other wants to save money.

Oct 12, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #172 of 181
I am aspergers, salesman kinda clinch to their words depending on how earnst they are to sell you a mile of bs. Just act like you care and say no if they taint your existence with dogma. Also kill them if they touch you, no one should ever touch your clothes ever, those belong to you.

Oct 12, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #173 of 181
No need to lose sleep.

At the end of the day, they reserve the right to refuse service for whatever non-discriminatory reason they choose.

And they reap what they sow because of it.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #174 of 181
I wouldn't buy a thing in that store. Thanks for the heads up! 

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #175 of 181
I know this is kind of an old thread but just to add to the discussion of anyone who is interested in visiting the store:

Went to the store to audition some of the Audeze headphones and Woo amps, although I was open to try other amps as well. When I asked to try them out, I was told that I am not able to audition any high-end headphones unless, and I quote, "have spent a lot of money in the store in the past." The employee told me, sarcastically, that I may have missed the wall with a few headphones on it when you first walk-in. I explained that I already have tried or owned every headphone on the wall (the most high-end model was a 400i, to put it in perspective.) Again he reminded me that since I have not spent a large amount of money there in the past that I was not permitted to try out any other products.

Ended up going home and the Audeze Black Friday sale happened so I was able to grab a pair discounted. Worked out for me in the end, but they lost $1,000+ sale and a potential future returning customer as well. Great concept for a store with horrible employees that only care about money.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #176 of 181
I know this is kind of an old thread but just to add to the discussion of anyone who is interested in visiting the store:

Went to the store to audition some of the Audeze headphones and Woo amps, although I was open to try other amps as well. When I asked to try them out, I was told that I am not able to audition any high-end headphones unless, and I quote, "have spent a lot of money in the store in the past." The employee told me, sarcastically, that I may have missed the wall with a few headphones on it when you first walk-in. I explained that I already have tried or owned every headphone on the wall (the most high-end model was a 400i, to put it in perspective.) Again he reminded me that since I have not spent a large amount of money there in the past that I was not permitted to try out any other products.

Ended up going home and the Audeze Black Friday sale happened so I was able to grab a pair discounted. Worked out for me in the end, but they lost $1,000+ sale and a potential future returning customer as well. Great concept for a store with horrible employees that only care about money.

Wow, that is complete and utter bull. It's too bad, because they have such a good selection of headphones to audition, and I was considering going back after a relatively ok experience a few months ago. But if they have people like that working there now, I certianly would not want to anymore.

Dec 8, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #177 of 181

That's actually pretty mind blowing. I've been trying to defend this place but at this point I just don't know...

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #178 of 181

If the employees only cared about money they wouldn't be kicking out customers who are interested in spending $1000 there. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #179 of 181
Yeah, I'm starting to think all hi-fi shops are the same. I used to be lenient thinking they gotta make a buck, its tough as brick mortars, etc.

That is until I stepped into Minidisc.com.au of Chatswood in Sydney.

You see everything is relative... And after my experience with these guys... I now realise all my other Hi Fi dealings have been schiit in comparison.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #180 of 181
Just a heads up for any members in the NYC area...Stereo Exchange is going outta bizness
basshead.gif
,or simply relocating,depending upon how deep you wanna read between the lines.

Theyre having an auction this wednesday the 22nd,and are currently blowing out the entire store inventory. Just called them and although the items I was interested in are sold out,they did have some really good prices on other items I inquired about,just to get a feel for the discounts offered.

Im not advocating or supporting this store,simply giving the community a heads up....Happy shopping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back