I got DT880 for home test... or then not
Oct 3, 2005 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Patu

Headphoneus Supremus
Today I just suddenly got this crazy idea that I have to try DT880's at home so I called to local HiFi store and asked DT880 for home audition. It was okay and I went there right away to pick them up. Salesman just gave me a box and I thought everything is fine. That damn aluminium box of DT880's is already little bit heavy and because of that I didn't notice that I was carrying an empty case.

So at home I opened the box with my fingers shaking just to notice that it was empty. The disappointment was huge.

I called the store immediately and told the situation but the guy who gave the headphones to me had already leaved. But the other salesman told me that it should be fine if I go there tomorrow to solve this situation.

I hope they won't blame me for stealing those headphones.
rolleyes.gif

Damn I feel stupid now.

frown.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
The question is, do they have your money?

No they don't. As I said I just picked them up for test. I didn't buy them.

Oct 3, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 22
I'm amazed that they (were prepared to) just gave you a pair of high-end 'phones complete with box for your entertainment.

I can just imagine the response if I went into Stereo Exchange here in NYC and asked to take a pair of K1000's home to listen to...mind you, going in there with a wad of cash to spend doesn't get that much better a response...

Oct 3, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julz
I'm amazed that they (were prepared to) just gave you a pair of high-end 'phones complete with box for your entertainment.

I can just imagine the response if I went into Stereo Exchange here in NYC and asked to take a pair of K1000's home to listen to...mind you, going in there with a wad of cash to spend doesn't get that much better a response...

Well of course they took all my personal details and wanted to see my identification card and so on. This is completely normal here in Finland. People are given even high end speakers, receivers and amplifiers to test at their home.
This is only way to know how it will sound with your own equipment.

For example I auditioned SR225 at local HiFi store and it sounded totally crap. I hated it. Now when I borrowed my friends pair it actually sounds pretty nice. Very nice headphones for rock.

This is why I want to hear DT880 with my own equipment before deciding anything.

Isn't this possible in NYC?

Well I hope I get them tomorrow.

Oct 4, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 22
Well everything ended up fine. Now I have DT880 at home.

I'll write some of my impressions later.

Oct 4, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Isn't this possible in NYC?

Typically, they'll require that you buy the headphones. Then you have a 7-14 day return period.

Oct 4, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 22
This is possible here (Netherlands) too but not in much stores just some very good Hi-Fi stores. There's is usually an unwritten agreement that you'll be their customer later on though. (i.e. It would be very rude if you shopped at their store and auditioned their stuff at home and if you decided what you need to go and buy it cheap online.)

Anyway, I'm glad everything turned out OK. I'm interested in your impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 22
Hi,

nice to know that you got the DT880 to try. Me curious too (ops, I now recall that you knew it well
tongue.gif
) ...

Oct 4, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #10 of 22
Well here's something:

Outlook: DT880's outlook is very fine and they fit comfortably to my big head. Build quality is very good and I like the material (aluminium). They also look valuable and definitely better than 650.

And then the sound. I like it! I like it much more what I did on first time when I auditioned them at the store with a whole different equipment than I have.

Details/speed: I was amazed about the amount of details even at the first time and I still am. It's just something great I think. 650 gets beaten 6-0 by 880 in this area. You really can hear every little detail that has been recorded. There's one problem though. If the record is poorly mixed it sounds poor with DT880. They are totally unforgivable. And speed. DT880 is very fast. When listening to Steve Vai's hardest guitar solos I find them much more enjoyable with 880 than 650. Some songs by Vai might sound little muddy with senns.

Soundstage: Aah the soundstage maybe the most important thing when I'm choosing my headphones. It's great with DT880. It's even little bit wider than with 650 and you really can feel the space around you. DT880 is really strong in this area. I won't even compare them to Grados by this matter when there's is really nothing to compare.
smily_headphones1.gif

Brightness/highs: DT880 is much brighter than 650. Not even near of SR225 (which I also have at home now) and that's just good thing. There's just the right amount of brightness in sound. It doesn't strain when listening for long periods. DT880 also extends nicely on highs but doesn't get harsh.

Bass: Well as you may know this is the poorest area of DT880 and at the same time weirdest. After my first audition I thought that there's no bass at all in DT880. That's crap. The bass is there but it's somehow hidden. This is really hard to explain. With some tracks there's strong clean bass, maybe even better than with 650s but with many (too many I think) tracks that 650 plays with nice deep and fully bass, DT880 just has no bass at all. I find this very weird. I think this depends of mixing again. DT880 is just so unforgivable for poorly mixed records. But I must say that DT880 can go very deep if it wants to.

After all I think DT880 is very good headphone and it would compliment my 650s very well but I would so much like to find the one and only headphone which would do it all. Now I'd like to find headphones which work well with rock and I think DT880 is better for this area than 650s. I'm really considering of buying a pair of these beauties.

EDIT: Added something about speed.

Oct 4, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 22
Thanks for that great mini-review
biggrin.gif
seems like a nice competitor to the 650.
Hopefully I'll be in the same situation as you soon, an employee of Beier told me I could try these out for a couple of days as he heard that I own the Senn HD 650 (he and my dad know each other for a long time). Your review makes me really curious, because this would be the first time for me to compare high-end phones with music that I'm familiar with. I don't know if I could get used to less bass, that's one thing I really love about my 650s, but I'm looking forward to listening to a brighter and more detailed sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby B.
I don't know if I could get used to less bass, that's one thing I really love about my 650s, but I'm looking forward to listening to a brighter and more detailed sound
smily_headphones1.gif

This is the hardest part. I also love the bass of 650s and it's also very important to me. But almost on every other aspect I'd choose DT880. It's just amazing how good they really are.

And as I said this isn't a problem with all tracks. For example now I'm listening Jamiroquai - Feel So Good and the bass really is there. It's almost as strong and fully as with 650's. Sounds great. But for a moment ago I tried Lenny Kravitz - Black Velveteen and when 650's play nice fully bass once again DT880 has no bass at all. This is really weird.

Oct 4, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #13 of 22
Patu, nice report
smily_headphones1.gif

Though I thought it acknowledged by now that the HD650 would have a little more resolution than the DT880. So your judgement about the DT880's detail sounds a bit puzzling to me. The point is, is it clearly better resolution, or, more plainly, more exposed detail (as in 'treble spikes') ?

Oct 4, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Patu, nice report
smily_headphones1.gif

Though I thought it acknowledged by now that the HD650 would have a little more resolution than the DT880. So your judgement about the DT880's detail sounds a bit puzzling to me. The point is, is it clearly better resolution, or, more plainly, more exposed detail (as in 'treble spikes') ?

Well they're quite even in resolution but I think that the brightness in DT880 makes its sound like it had a little better resolution. Hard question and I can't give you any certain answer.

Oct 4, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 22
I never heard the DT 880, but I have a modded DT 990 and a regular DT 990, both about 20 years old and the 600 ohm models.

Reading your "review" I kind of see/hear my modded DT 990.

I also prefer my modded DT 990 over my Sennheiser HD 600/Equinox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back