I Found Something to Complement My 650s
Oct 6, 2005 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Patu

Headphoneus Supremus
And what is it? Well it's Beyerdynamic's legendary DT531!

It all started when I went to local hifi store to pick up DT880 for home test. DT880 was great headphone but maybe still a tad too bright for me. When I returned them I saw that they were also selling the "legendary" DT531. I was amazed because it's not manufactured anymore and they still had like 4-5 brand new pairs there. Of course I picked them up for home test. After all, I had read so many positive comments about this model.

It was worth it! DT531 is something right between 650 and 880. It doesn't have the brightness, details or fastness of DT880 or smoothness, deep and fully bass of 650s but it's kind of a mix of them.

I'll use 531 pretty much only for rock but I mostly listen to rock so they'll be in hard use. 650 is still there for anything else. But for rock 531 is just what I've been looking for. Very fun to listen to. Just the right amount of brightness and details. Not overly bright like Grado's (and DT880 [for me]). And the bass! The bass is better than in DT880 I think. It's in good control, deep and punchy. Maybe not as fasta as 880 has or just so deep and fully than 650s but it's very nice and fits rock very well.

I think DT880 might have been awesome with tubey sound but I just don't have tube amp now and I won't be getting one shortly.

The pricetag showed 168EUR. Well I thought that when this is discontinued model and they have only few of these, I have a good chances for bargain. And I did. 250EUR for two pairs (another one went to my friend who was also amazed of the sound)! So 125EUR and totally worth it!

Briefly: Very nice, well balanced and natural sound. Well suited for rock. I really don't have nothing to complain. Comfortably is also top class.

So I've happily joined to Team Beyerdynamic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 2
No comments? Please tell me your thoughts about 531 or 531 vs. 650. I'm interested! Or do you think I made a bad choice? I don't.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back